03-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #155
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
an x5 average used price will go down with the lowest base product they have available on the market for the same year and motor... an x5m will average down with the a base x5m. so if you have a fully loaded x5 50i m-sport with an msrp of nearly a 100k the used value will be in line with other x5 when you go to trade it or a few shekles more but nothing notable. if you sell privately you may find a buyer willing to pay up but for the most part most people who are shopping an x5 at 90k+ usually just go to the x5m. i am speaking from experience and fact. same happened with an f31 i owned which had an msrp of $60k. most people buying a 3series do not go that high with the build and if they do they just go right over to the m3 which also depreciates less and differently than it's plain jane 3series counterpart.
Just looking at the used car values it is easy to see that the X5M holds it value better than other X5 models. However, the RRS holds its value much better than any X5. I am not saying theoretically or what some magazine says, just based on what you can find. I got an amazing deal on my X5 50i. In fact it is close to $100K MSRP, placing it in X5M territory and the original owner would have probably done better going with an X5M.

But given that most new X5’s are bought on lease, I suppose real resale value isn’t as important as residual value.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 07:13 AM   #156
JRock80
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M F85

M all day my friend!!!

I had e70 X5, F15 50m-sport and now F85 X5M. While owning the F15, which I absolutely loved, I always wondered what it would feel like owning the M and at times regretted my decision.

In my opinion, the M is a man's car for those of us who love aggressive (fun) vehicles. Yes, the ride quality is not as smooth compared to the F15 but I don't miss it one bit - I choose power over quality. There is something about feeling like you got kicked in the back by a donkey - when you step on that gas pedal. BTW both on KW V3 suspension.

Not to sound too bias, the F15 is more than enough for anyone and deliver nice power @448hp, with a tune you can achieve over 500+ easily.

I would recommend going with your gut feeling, if you can afford the M - then why not? Either way, I am sure you will be happy with the new whip and your decision. GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND!
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #157
Melbourne_X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffrey View Post
Just looking at the used car values it is easy to see that the X5M holds it value better than other X5 models. However, the RRS holds its value much better than any X5. I am not saying theoretically or what some magazine says, just based on what you can find. I got an amazing deal on my X5 50i. In fact it is close to $100K MSRP, placing it in X5M territory and the original owner would have probably done better going with an X5M.

But given that most new X5’s are bought on lease, I suppose real resale value isn’t as important as residual value.
The Range Rover Sport is a reliability nightmare. Lol. The mystic of thinking a RR is great because it is an LR is pure insanity.

For the record, comparing a 2017 X5 50i XDrive M-sport still books out at close to $14,000 less than an X5M with the same mileage and equipment.

It is the rarity of the X5M that drives its ability to hold its value.

Last edited by Melbourne_X5M; 03-08-2021 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 05:35 AM   #158
Psychoticgroove
Builderbloke
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M LBB

I traded in my Jeep SRT for an F15 50i because I was getting a great deal and needed 7 seats... Loved the 50i, spent 6 months telling myself nobody needs the M for a daily..... long story short, the 50i went to the wife (sold her 40d) and I got me an F85. Best car I have ever owned!
They are two completely different vehicles.... the 50i in sport-plus with DHP still floats like a butterfly in the wind, whilst the M in comfort mode stings like a bee in comparision!
Everytime I take the 50i to fill her up, the first thing I notice is the compliant ride, like travelling on clouds... and the exhaust sounds better than the M since I've got the muffler delete mod..... but in the time I drive to the servo and back, I can't wait to jump in the M. And that's all that needs to be said.
musa419.00
      03-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #159
lagunablue1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoticgroove View Post
I traded in my Jeep SRT for an F15 50i because I was getting a great deal and needed 7 seats... Loved the 50i, spent 6 months telling myself nobody needs the M for a daily..... long story short, the 50i went to the wife (sold her 40d) and I got me an F85. Best car I have ever owned!
They are two completely different vehicles.... the 50i in sport-plus with DHP still floats like a butterfly in the wind, whilst the M in comfort mode stings like a bee in comparision!
Everytime I take the 50i to fill her up, the first thing I notice is the compliant ride, like travelling on clouds... and the exhaust sounds better than the M since I've got the muffler delete mod..... but in the time I drive to the servo and back, I can't wait to jump in the M. And that's all that needs to be said.
How's the f85 feel coming from an SRT? I'm looking to swap my '17 SRT for a 17/18 F85.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 05:34 AM   #160
Psychoticgroove
Builderbloke
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunablue1 View Post
How's the f85 feel coming from an SRT? I'm looking to swap my '17 SRT for a 17/18 F85.
Besides the very minor turbo lag, which is all bit eliminated in sport plus, the F85 is leaps and bounds ahead. What I loved about the SRT was that it was always just ready to rip someone's head off... it was raw and visceral, great in the lower gears but only Ok thereafter.... the M on the other hand is very very quick, but goes about its business with panache and keeps pulling like a freight train but with a 'what's the big fuss' attitude....

The best 0-100 run I ever got out of my SRT was 4.5 on a very cold night and slightly downhill.... the M does 4 sec runs all day every day.

The M is also another level of design and luxury, if that's something you fancy. Understated and refined, but you know there is a brute under the carefully tailored suit. The SRT on the other hand was not shy in showing; loud exhaust, big beefy styling, it was all about ' look at me'... Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the attention (had a Borla catback), however sometimes you just wanna fly under the radar, which was seldom possible with the SRT.

I loved the SRT for what it was, but it spent more time at the dealers than in my garage. The shocking reliability and poor quality of interiors is well documented.

When I switched to the M Sport 50i with DHP, I initially hated the floaty suspension, but the power was there to compensate and to be honest, it was quite comfortable as a daily. It wasn't any quicker than the SRT, but wasn't slow either. But it wallowed in corners like a whale in comfort mode and I found myself often driving in sport plus to put the DHP to use.

The switch to the proper M was a huge welcome! The suspension in the M is more reminiscent of the SRT, firm and precise, however whilst you undeniably felt the weight of the Jeep, the F85 is surprisingly nimble and car like. I find myself throwing it in corners just for sh!ts and giggles and everytime it comes the other side with a 'that's all you got' smirk! Also the paddle shifter shifts on the M are near instantaneous whereas I found the SRT shifts to be a bit laggy even in track mode.

In the end, the F85 was a logical choice. The only thing I miss is the glorious sound of the exhaust on the Jeep. The F85 sound is not only a very different more Euro sound (not necessarily a bad thing, just different), but also quite subdued, especially if you're used to big block NA sounds. I'm getting an Akra shortly, so just be prepared to spend on an exhaust upfront, or buy a car that has already got the work done.

Best of luck, you will not regret it!
      03-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #161
lagunablue1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoticgroove View Post
Besides the very minor turbo lag, which is all bit eliminated in sport plus, the F85 is leaps and bounds ahead. What I loved about the SRT was that it was always just ready to rip someone's head off... it was raw and visceral, great in the lower gears but only Ok thereafter.... the M on the other hand is very very quick, but goes about its business with panache and keeps pulling like a freight train but with a 'what's the big fuss' attitude....

The best 0-100 run I ever got out of my SRT was 4.5 on a very cold night and slightly downhill.... the M does 4 sec runs all day every day.

The M is also another level of design and luxury, if that's something you fancy. Understated and refined, but you know there is a brute under the carefully tailored suit. The SRT on the other hand was not shy in showing; loud exhaust, big beefy styling, it was all about ' look at me'... Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the attention (had a Borla catback), however sometimes you just wanna fly under the radar, which was seldom possible with the SRT.

I loved the SRT for what it was, but it spent more time at the dealers than in my garage. The shocking reliability and poor quality of interiors is well documented.

When I switched to the M Sport 50i with DHP, I initially hated the floaty suspension, but the power was there to compensate and to be honest, it was quite comfortable as a daily. It wasn't any quicker than the SRT, but wasn't slow either. But it wallowed in corners like a whale in comfort mode and I found myself often driving in sport plus to put the DHP to use.

The switch to the proper M was a huge welcome! The suspension in the M is more reminiscent of the SRT, firm and precise, however whilst you undeniably felt the weight of the Jeep, the F85 is surprisingly nimble and car like. I find myself throwing it in corners just for sh!ts and giggles and everytime it comes the other side with a 'that's all you got' smirk! Also the paddle shifter shifts on the M are near instantaneous whereas I found the SRT shifts to be a bit laggy even in track mode.

In the end, the F85 was a logical choice. The only thing I miss is the glorious sound of the exhaust on the Jeep. The F85 sound is not only a very different more Euro sound (not necessarily a bad thing, just different), but also quite subdued, especially if you're used to big block NA sounds. I'm getting an Akra shortly, so just be prepared to spend on an exhaust upfront, or buy a car that has already got the work done.

Best of luck, you will not regret it!
Thanks for the very detailed response - much appreciated.

I have a Borla S-type cat-back on my SRT which I will definitely miss the sound of, as well as the "muscle car" vibe. But I've recently rolled 105k km on the SRT and am worried about the lifter failure issue and don't love the truck enough to invest in an MDS-delete cam/lifter setup & tune. Also, trade-in values are super inflated for SRTs/Trackhawks at the moment, to the point where I've owned the truck 2 years, put 50k km on it and can trade it in for what I paid for it.

I certainly don't need any more power than the SRT as my "daily" - but I'm glad to hear the ride is a bit more car-like. I really dislike the super loose/vague steering on the SRT and would love for it to handle even just a touch more like my M3 - obviously a tall order for an SUV. If I could have an M5 or E63 as my daily I'd happily go that route but I do need something that can tow occasionally.

Hoping to check out a local f85 this week and make the jump soon - will keep you posted!
Appreciate 1