United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj22 View Post
Ok guys, just wanted to post an update. I ended up downgrading the idrive on the retrofitted NBT evo to 18-03 and now everything including connecteddrive, send to car, remote ventilation etc. is working like OEM. It even allowed me to renew them or buy additional stuff.

In terms of technical detail: it needed an ECU upgrade/downgrade with the correct vin selected during TAL processing. Not a VIN change with FSC after flashing.

Also was able to use a 25A continous charger w/o any issues.
That's awesome to hear.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #46
albec
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F15) 2014

Hi I wan to update my NBT installation in my F15 from 2014. I have the head unit but am looking for the ATM that will work in my country (Denmark) I know that need to use the vin from the ATM for the HU.
But can I use an ATM module from any EU country with active sim? And can I get it to work with a ATM from a different model and use the connected drive account from the donor ATM even when from different model?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #47
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Yes and yes.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #48
albec
Denmark
Rep

How I got all the hardware for my NBT EVO upgrade.
Does anyone have a guide on hot to change the vin of the head unit so it matches the ATM unit?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:48 PM   #49
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
The dealbreakers for me personally:
2. Dealer will not be able to diagnose the car;
Not entirely true. When I did the NBT retrofit in my F12 650i I initially had a problem with ISTA taking ages to diagnose the car, and then showing the replaced modules as disconnected and not showing the retrofit modules at all. I then updated the VCM and bam, back to 45s full vehicle readout and also the module tree was updated to show the correct modules.

Since then my car (which is still under 3rd party warranty) has gone to BMW for some work and they were able to diagnose it just fine :-)
      11-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #50
sky82
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i/2014 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
Quote:
So this started when I rented a 2018 3 series in Mexico and realized I do enjoy carplay quite a bit and NBT is so outdated. Also while I had RTTI, I didn't get traffic on most of my city route and google maps was so much better.

Here are a list of parts bought and approx prices ...

1. NBT HU ID 5 $550 from a north american car
2. APIX1 voltage cable $40
3. Wifi antenna $8
4. ATM wire loom $221
5. FSC codes $125
6. ATM unit: $250 also from a north american car with working RTTI, connecteddrive

Note: I did not upgrade the APIX1 HU as I don't want a touchscreen.

Shipping and taxes: approx $150.

Installation: 1 hour

Coding: minimal, all FDL.

Have a fully functioning NBT Evo HU with ID6 lite. Definitely one of the most enjoyable mods for me.

Since there are no existing threads on this (mostly there on F30 forums), will create this for others who need more info on this.

Update 6/16/19:
Ok guys, just wanted to post an update. I ended up downgrading the idrive on the retrofitted NBT evo to 18-03 and now everything including connecteddrive, send to car, remote ventilation etc. is working like OEM. It even allowed me to renew them or buy additional stuff.
curious if you have a DIY walk through for the install and re-programming?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #51
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by albec View Post
Does anyone have a guide on hot to change the vin of the head unit so it matches the ATM unit?
Best is to flash/upgrade the unit with ATM vin selected, the other vin changing options dont work as well in my opinion. You will need ATM FA or make one using ATM vin with your car's other options listed.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #52
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky82 View Post
curious if you have a DIY walk through for the install and re-programming?
thanks
Although I probably could, I am very hesitant. Each step can be complicated and essentially the whole thing has been posted on several other forums and one thing wrong can ruin it all. It is also time consuming. What I want to avoid is people who are not ready to flash their units, start the process and then realize its a big mess because they cannot start their cars and something got messed up. If you have coded and flashed in e-sys, follow the thread and if you still have questions, I will be happy to answer.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #53
albec
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Best is to flash/upgrade the unit with ATM vin selected, the other vin changing options dont work as well in my opinion. You will need ATM FA or make one using ATM vin with your car's other options listed.
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks I now have it all coded with the ATM Vin but cannot get the connected drive to work, when I try to connect the password meant to appear on the screen never comes. And when I try to use any of the apps in the connected drive is says no GPS and the GPS works fine! Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 12:55 AM   #54
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks I now have it all coded with the ATM Vin but cannot get the connected drive to work, when I try to connect the password meant to appear on the screen never comes. And when I try to use any of the apps in the connected drive is says no GPS and the GPS works fine! Any ideas?
Ok so here is what I did as last step.

Code NBT Evo with your Car’s FA. Once successfully done, your car on connected drive in car will update to an X5 from the donor ATM-vin-car.

Then the code might come. Took some trial and error. Also in my case the latest ios connecteddrive version worked after I created new username.

PS: unless you flash the vin to evo (not just change with certs) connecteddrive will not work. Try sending code at this step too. Make sure same software version.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #55
albec
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok so here is what I did as last step.

Code NBT Evo with your Car’s FA. Once successfully done, your car on connected drive in car will update to an X5 from the donor ATM-vin-car.

Then the code might come. Took some trial and error. Also in my case the latest ios connecteddrive version worked after I created new username.

PS: unless you flash the vin to evo (not just change with certs) connecteddrive will not work. Try sending code at this step too. Make sure same software version.
Thanks, i will try to follow your guidance. :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #56
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Anyone knows if these units would work on F15 and F16 after coding?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113400868051
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:34 PM   #57
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytuning View Post
Anyone knows if these units would work on F15 and F16 after coding?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113400868051
This is important, in the description it says: "This listing is for radios without the dedicated blue GPS port - If you are looking for an NBT EVO radio with onboard GPS port, please send us a message and we can assist you with these as well! Please be aware that if you plan to use Apple Carplay exclusively for navigation, you do not need a radio with a dedicated GPS connection as Carplay location info for navigation comes from your phone!"
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #58
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk AG View Post
This is important, in the description it says: "This listing is for radios without the dedicated blue GPS port - If you are looking for an NBT EVO radio with onboard GPS port, please send us a message and we can assist you with these as well! Please be aware that if you plan to use Apple Carplay exclusively for navigation, you do not need a radio with a dedicated GPS connection as Carplay location info for navigation comes from your phone!"
I was aware of that limitation, but I wanted to know if these were units pulled from say an x1 or a 5 series for example, if they would work in the f15/x16.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 12:15 AM   #59
DenBel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, F13 650i

Quote:
so your head unit has the vin from ATM donor?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:31 AM   #60
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBel View Post
so your head unit has the vin from ATM donor?
Yes. ATM vins cannot be changed. And ATM vin should match HU VIN if you want data from ATM. So best way is to put a filter and change the HU vin. Remember to flash the HU fully not just use the certs to change the vin.

Appreciate 1
DenBel232.00
      03-06-2021, 06:50 AM   #61
ahmedmph
Rep
Drives: F15 2015

Dears, I need advice

i have BMW F15 2015 with NBT from factory, I purchased NBT EVO and touch screen, from eBay and purchased ATM module white one from local market was removed from X5 F15 2018, it has valid contract, Also I purchased plug n play ATM retrofit wiring from eBay.

when I started the installation process, I found that my car does not have TCB , it just has small box in the back and it has only two antenna wiring (Antenna control ECU 928708)

now what is required to proceed with the ATM retrofit

shall I buy another shark tale fin and attach it to the white ATM module that I have then put it some where in the trunk and make additional wiring all the way to the NBT EVO, if yes what would be the additional wiring required in addition to the wiring loom I purchased from eBay.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 08:47 AM   #62
DenBel
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedmph View Post
Dears, I need advice

i have BMW F15 2015 with NBT from factory, I purchased NBT EVO and touch screen, from eBay and purchased ATM module white one from local market was removed from X5 F15 2018, it has valid contract, Also I purchased plug n play ATM retrofit wiring from eBay.

when I started the installation process, I found that my car does not have TCB , it just has small box in the back and it has only two antenna wiring (Antenna control ECU 928708)

now what is required to proceed with the ATM retrofit

shall I buy another shark tale fin and attach it to the white ATM module that I have then put it some where in the trunk and make additional wiring all the way to the NBT EVO, if yes what would be the additional wiring required in addition to the wiring loom I purchased from eBay.
Your tcb module ( black box) is behind drivers rear quarter panel, you can access it from your trunk, but will Have to remove the larger side carpet cover to do the wiring. If you using white box you need roof antenna from the newer vehicle and longer wires from existing tcb ( behind the left quarter) to the roof mounted newer atm white box
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:54 AM   #63
ahmedmph
Rep

Quote:
Your tcb module ( black box) is behind drivers rear quarter panel, you can access it from your trunk, but will Have to remove the larger side carpet cover to do the wiring. If you using white box you need roof antenna from the newer vehicle and longer wires from existing tcb ( behind the left quarter) to the roof mounted newer atm white box
Thanks for your reply, would please elaborate, where exactly i can find it, because i searched everywhere and there is no backbox available, as per ISTA it should be under the amplifier but it not found there, i removed driver side rear panel and couldn't find it, only small antenna box
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 12:05 PM   #64
DenBel
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, would please elaborate, where exactly i can find it, because i searched everywhere and there is no backbox available, as per ISTA it should be under the amplifier but it not found there, i removed driver side rear panel and couldn't find it, only small antenna box
Was your vehicle equipped with communication services from the factory? Do you have sos button on your dome light? The tcb usually by the amplifier, but covers by the black bracket (#4 on the
Image) it is attached to. If the module
Is not there then check under the roof..
You can also run your vin on mdecoder.com to check if you have teleservices option
Attached Images

Last edited by DenBel; 03-07-2021 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #65
ahmedmph
Rep

Quote:
Was your vehicle equipped with communication services from the factory? Do you have sos button on your dome light? The tcb usually by the amplifier, but covers by the black bracket (#4 on the
Image) it is attached to. If the module
Is not there then check under the roof..
You can also run your vin on mdecoder.com to check if you have teleservices option
Thank you again, under amplifier there is nothing fitted and also under the antenna in the roof there is nothing fitted, checked car vin SA options, and there is no teleservices

so definitely car has no TCB, can you advice please what would be the required wiring to retrofit the white ATM I purchased.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #66
DenBel
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you again, under amplifier there is nothing fitted and also under the antenna in the roof there is nothing fitted, checked car vin SA options, and there is no teleservices

so definitely car has no TCB, can you advice please what would be the required wiring to retrofit the white ATM I purchased.
A lot of wiring and small pieces ( like microphones, sos buttons etc). Best way to check the wiring diagrams with ista or newtis and go from there. May be you can get the wiring from the vehicle you nbt evo came from.
Appreciate 0