BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

03-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #45
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

Well thank god for this thread. I was about to off myself. Did the “short version”. Took 30 min. Would have been 15 but had to keep moving the car to get the damn penny to settle in the back so I could grab with the tweezers. Thanks a ton!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #46
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraRacer13 View Post
Well thank god for this thread. I was about to off myself. Did the “short version”. Took 30 min. Would have been 15 but had to keep moving the car to get the damn penny to settle in the back so I could grab with the tweezers. Thanks a ton!!
Damn a penny would be harder to catch luckily mine was a quarter. If it wasnt for this thread a couple of months ago I wouldve spent 400 at the dealer
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #47
dron69
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlengle View Post
This looks like the longer method as it looks like you did not remove the shifter, etc. Is that coin under the cup holder, can't tell based on picture.
Tried this today and failed. I removed the shifter and there was nothing underneath. I realized that the quarter is directly under the cup holder and is completely blocked from the view. I now need to lift up the cup holder, which requires removal of the side pieces that are blocked by the armrest piece, which I have no idea how to remove(will try again tomorrow).
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #48
jeffrey101
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6 (F16)

For those of you that have done this, I have a quick question. I followed the instructions (and photos) at the beginning of this thread. But, is this the piece you're supposed to pull forcefully from the sides? It popped off, but now it won't pop back in, so I didn't want to pull the other side. I'm hoping I didn't break something... Thanks.

https://ibb.co/gSKD7pC

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 05:57 AM   #49
jeffrey101
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey101 View Post
For those of you that have done this, I have a quick question. I followed the instructions (and photos) at the beginning of this thread. But, is this the piece you're supposed to pull forcefully from the sides? It popped off, but now it won't pop back in, so I didn't want to pull the other side. I'm hoping I didn't break something... Thanks.
If anyone else struggles with this, on my car anyway, I had to pull the sides away from the center to unclip the plastic hooks before pulling it back. The plastic clip broke off and I ended up replacing that piece of trim from ECS Tuning...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #50
jeffrey101
Rep

But, as a bonus, I did get $0.24 and an ATM receipt from the previous owner.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #51
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey101 View Post
But, as a bonus, I did get $0.24 and an ATM receipt from the previous owner.

Ha! So the prior owner just continued to drive with the coins rolling around?!
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2019, 03:15 AM   #52
MT!
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereska View Post
hey guys,
if anybody is still struggling with their coins rolling under the cup holder, let me know
there is a much easier way to get it out without the full center console disassembly)
it's a 5 min job
I’m having the same problem. Please let me know how to get rid of this?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:16 AM   #53
MT!
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #54
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT! View Post
I guess pulling the center trim out and taking the shifter off is what this person was referring to, check videos on page 2
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:37 PM   #55
DFR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR/X5d w/Adaptive Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivarol View Post
Hello to everyone,

Thanks to all of you!
I have the same issue and now i resolve it thanks to you.

I will share video with the repair.

Sorry for the quality but i'm not a professional!

Just did this. Thanks to this great video I was able to complete it in about 30 minutes!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 09:38 PM   #56
spierce
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivarol View Post
Hello to everyone,

Thanks to all of you!
I have the same issue and now i resolve it thanks to you.

I will share video with the repair.

Sorry for the quality but i'm not a professional!

Just did this. Thanks to this great video I was able to complete it in about 30 minutes!
So some milk got spilled into the holes in the silly cubby next to the cigarette lighter (had the rubber removed to fit my phone there). I removed most of the cup holder but I cant get the whole thing out to clean, something is connected under. I suspect the cigarette lighter cord.

Anybody ever get the whole cup holder assembly out?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #57
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Ha! So the prior owner just continued to drive with the coins rolling around?!
Probably sold the car because of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #58
ThatKasper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak View Post
This saved me hours......today on my way home I left a nickel on the roll up door and when I stopped it was gone. Every time I accelerated and braked it rolled back and forth. I did a search on here and found this thread. It appeared that the only fix was the "Long way" which was well documented here. I then came across the "Short cut" which involved removing the panel around the shifter and then removing the shifter. Once those were removed I was disappointed I could not see anything. I came back to this site and read and then I spotted the groove were I thought the coin was rolling, but no coin. I then got in the car and carefully shifted in to reverse and when I hit the brakes the coin rolled back and was in clear view!! Trust me this works and saved me hours and who knows how many broken parts !!
Yup, that's the key! I got VERY lucky that my coins were rolled back when I pulled the shifter or I would've never seen them. I just happened to do this in my brother's driveway today & it's a pretty steep slope. Had the coins been rolled forward I would've given up because I would have never seen where they could actually be.
2016 X5M - Long Beach Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #59
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i , '67 Corvette BB,

only the Germans could over engineer something like this !
      02-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #60
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Hey guys

I lifted the centre console out to try and get the coin that’s been rolling around in there. I don’t know which tTorx screws to take out to get access to that groove by removing the gear console. Does anyone have a picture showing which screws to take out?
Also, is it possible to break the tabs at the front when pulling up on the silver part? I think I may have because when I tried to put the console cover back, it’s still loose at the front even when it’s all the way down. 😳😖😢
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:36 AM   #61
djzmaj
Serbia
Rep
Drives: X6 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchuck72 View Post
Also, is it possible to break the tabs at the front when pulling up on the silver part? I think I may have because when I tried to put the console cover back, it’s still loose at the front even when it’s all the way down. 😳😖😢
This happened to me. There are metal clamps that are connecting central console and plastic bellow. They fall off and disappear so you have to order new ones, it's like $2 or $3, but I'm more worried about finding the old ones.
I'm waiting for new ones to arrive so I can remove everything once again and try to find old ones deep in those holes...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 01:44 PM   #62
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzmaj View Post
This happened to me. There are metal clamps that are connecting central console and plastic bellow. They fall off and disappear so you have to order new ones, it's like $2 or $3, but I'm more worried about finding the old ones.
I'm waiting for new ones to arrive so I can remove everything once again and try to find old ones deep in those holes...
That's awesome to know. Thanks. Where did you order from? Dealer?

Do you know part numbers?
      02-25-2023, 02:00 PM   #63
cello11
CELLO11
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 and 640 Cabrio

Replacement of cigarette lighter by USB charger

I just removed my noisy coin in the center console by following the instructions in this thread. Thanks a lot to RufussCkingston , everything worked perfect.

As instructed I had to remove the handrest compartment, but as the cables were too short I was not able to deconnect the sockets, so I just lifted up the handrest compartment in order to remove the two side trims covering the cupholder compartment.

However, as I did this extensive work, I decided in this occasion also to replace the cigarette lighter with a USB C charger including Voltmeter. In order to remove completely the cupholder compartment I had to disconnect the power connector on the side of the channel.
Attached picture shows the USB A/C charger with voltmeter indication on. I can turn the voltage indication off if needed pressing the small button on the surface.

The main advantage for me is that I can still close the cover of the cupholder compartment completely and I can monitor low battery level.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0