BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #67
Picasso
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
Are there DIY's for rear bumper removal? What's the time frame you are finding to remove and reinstall the rear bumper?
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...per/1VnXiq4WfE

When I did it long time ago, it took me about 2 hours to remove (was going slowly as I didn't know how to do it). Installation back is a bit more trickier if you are alone, as you need to align clips while holding bumper cover, but it goes a bit faster for some reason, probably because you already know every bolt and clip location.

I wouldn't remove it just to paint tips, but if you need to install hitch - then it's a good idea to do it all at once.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #68
Richard Ellis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328D X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...per/1VnXiq4WfE

When I did it long time ago, it took me about 2 hours to remove (was going slowly as I didn't know how to do it). Installation back is a bit more trickier if you are alone, as you need to align clips while holding bumper cover, but it goes a bit faster for some reason, probably because you already know every bolt and clip location.

I wouldn't remove it just to paint tips, but if you need to install hitch - then it's a good idea to do it all at once.
I have a 3/4 Ton 4x4 Diesel truck for towing, but are you finding the hitch installation is worth it, and has a decent tongue capacity and tow capacity on the X5D?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #69
Picasso
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
I have a 3/4 Ton 4x4 Diesel truck for towing, but are you finding the hitch installation is worth it, and has a decent tongue capacity and tow capacity on the X5D?
Ah, in that case (if you have 3/4 ton truck) you don't need it really imho. Not worth the trouble (unless you want to kinda downsize from 3/4 tonn truck and do the job with x5 - which can tow large 5500-6000lbs 23' trailers without issue).
x5 frame itself is limited by 7500lbs if I'm not mistaken, but hitch itself will be limiting factor as class 3 hitch goes to about 6000lbs, again I'm not sure as it was a while since I was doing it.
Otherwise x5 35d has a lot of torque and has no issues towing heavy loads.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2021, 01:15 PM   #70
Letsgo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35D

Has anyone dropped their exhaust to paint the tips? It seems a lot more easier and quicker than removing the entire bumper. Exhaust is just held by a bunch of rubber hangers and a single clamp at the downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #71
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

Im planning to do the same with VHT paint and my brakes as well. It works perfect.

Now I have MPE so you can unbolt the tips and work on them apart from the truck. If you have stock exhaust then you have to cover/tape the entire back end of the truck.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 06:09 AM   #72
ringo9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition DCT

Is a clear coat needed on top for the paint to adhere properly or is it just for more gloss?

Thinking of doing this on a car I am probably parting with within the next year so wondering about cheaping out and just applying 3-4 coats of VHT gloss black engine enamel, will it look half-decent or it will bubble and peel off after a couple of months?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #73
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

I painted the tips on the wife's X5 this weekend. Really helps to have MPE because the tips remove easily by loosening the clamps.

This is roughly 8 light coats of VHT roll-bar gloss black. Results are excellent. This paint is outstanding and durable.

Truck is dirty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
x5wntd55.50
      03-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #74
x5wntd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: f15 35d

Did mine. 5 coats. Will paint (or tint) the reflectors asap
Attached Images