BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

12-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #45
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
What is the total cost of this? Including parts and installation
I paid roughly about $2500 for all parts and tune inclusive shipping.

Not sure what the labor rates are and how long it would take for a shop to do it (a lot depending on local situations)... but it's not something that can be done in an hour or two (maybe 6-8h?). I had to do some things the hard way as I don't have a lift...and limited space...also had to raise/support the engine without a engine hoist...so things took some time... I worked on it over a weeks span, not all day everyday but a good amount. I sent the ECU to Malone and started working on it right after (since the car can't drive without that anyway).

I attached some pictures of the parts that I removed permanently such as the DPF EGR and SCR... the way I did it with raising the vehicle on some heavy duty stands...

Also some pictures of the parts I had made (straight pipe) and the new DP.

Direct Link to the DPF removal steps (Note the preliminary tasks required, some can be skipped if you cut it the way I did it - this will mean that you cant reuse the DPF though) https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ion/1VnXbcD1Ye
Attached Images

Last edited by MrTookies; 05-29-2019 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #46
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTookies View Post
Quote:

Not sure what the labor rates are and how long it would take for a shop to do it (a lot depending on local situations)... but it's not something that can be done in an hour or two (maybe 6-8h?). I had to do some things the hard way as I don't have a lift...and limited space...also had to raise/support the engine without a engine hoist...so things took some time... I worked on it over a weeks span, not all day everyday but a good amount. I sent the ECU to Malone and started working on it right after (since the car can't drive without that anyway).

I attached some pictures of the parts that I removed permanently such as the DPF EGR and SCR... the way I did it with raising the vehicle on some heavy duty stands...

Looking good! Really want to do it for my wife but kind of want to keep it under 5k lol and of course dont want to deal with break downs and other crap too often. We are testdriving some 35i and 35d next week so we will see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 09:32 PM   #47
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Looking good! Really want to do it for my wife but kind of want to keep it under 5k lol and of course dont want to deal with break downs and other crap too often. We are testdriving some 35i and 35d next week so we will see how it goes.
If you want to keep the car for an extended period I can only recommend going diesel...I'm at 120k now and only thing I had was the emissions problem... but that's now history as well lol
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 01:15 AM   #48
Jedi767
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35D

Quote:
If you want to keep the car for an extended period I can only recommend going diesel...I'm at 120k now and only thing I had was the emissions problem... but that's now history as well lol
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is very interesting to me.

Has anyone else done this yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #49
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi767 View Post

Not sure what you are referring to here, but you can get a tune that would disable most of your emission components without needing to remove anything.

BPC offers such (for off road use only )
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2019, 12:27 AM   #50
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, tons of folks, including myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 12:31 AM   #51
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Quote:

Not sure what you are referring to here, but you can get a tune that would disable most of your emission components without needing to remove anything.

BPC offers such (for off road use only )
How would you disable emissions components without doing hardware modification - got a link?. Are you referring to isolating the EGR Actuator Valve? That's really the only thing that would make sense to me, but I'm open to new tech/ways...please elaborate...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 06:49 AM   #52
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
How would you disable emissions components without doing hardware modification - got a link?. Are you referring to isolating the EGR Actuator Valve? That's really the only thing that would make sense to me, but I'm open to new tech/ways...please elaborate...
I somewhat misspoke. They can disable EGR valves, so it would be as if you installed block off plates. Since most of the issues (carbon build up) are caused by EGR, this “mod” would potentially prevent issues from happening.

DEF tanks can be coded out as well. You don’t gain much there thou.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #53
alvav
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Has anyone done this in a state or province that has an "air care" program? If so, did you end up passing?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #54
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I somewhat misspoke. They can disable EGR valves, so it would be as if you installed block off plates. Since most of the issues (carbon build up) are caused by EGR, this “mod” would potentially prevent issues from happening.

DEF tanks can be coded out as well. You don’t gain much there thou.
If you only block of the EGR, regardless if it's by code or physical block plates... you need to remove the DPF... otherwise you are just waiting for that to fail /clog.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #55
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If you only block of the EGR, regardless if it's by code or physical block plates... you need to remove the DPF... otherwise you are just waiting for that to fail /clog.
From my reading into it, it might cause the car to do regen more frequently. So, if you have a short commute, then this would not be advisable (you can still do it). However, if you do a lot of highway driving, then it should't be too much of an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:29 AM   #56
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
From my reading into it, it might cause the car to do regen more frequently. So, if you have a short commute, then this would not be advisable (you can still do it). However, if you do a lot of highway driving, then it should't be too much of an issue.
It's not a matter if you can or can not do something, it's a matter what you are trying to achieve and what is right... how reliable the car is, the longevity and fuel consumption...

You are right when it comes to the Regen, but there is more to it... Regen would accrue more often IF you have full-filled the requirements for it to do so... Regen is triggered by RPM, differential pressure and temperature. If your not driving between 2.3-2.8RPM for some time on a regular basis, your not going to be able to catch up and doing more harm for not getting it done right the first time around.

Also remember... F series is quite different compared tot he E when it comes to the computer logic. The emissions system is much greater integrated into other control systems to ensure emissions compliance... You can't simply get some of it removed without having to live with the consequences...
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2019, 02:10 AM   #57
coupedncal
Registered
Rep
Drives: Nissan Leaf

Has anyone in California done this? I imagine doing this will make it impossible to pass the state emissions test. Correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 04:44 AM   #58
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupedncal View Post
Has anyone in California done this? I imagine doing this will make it impossible to pass the state emissions test. Correct?
Correct!
      05-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #59
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupedncal View Post
Correct!
Well not really... I have spoken to some folks that done partial deletes in California. You can plug of the EGR without having any effect on any testing for example.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #60
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I’m a diesel fan and drove a Cummins for a decade. Seems like owning diesels these days is more and more of a headache, and that there’s a full blown war against them in some parts of the world prohibiting them from entering large cities and such.

Personally, unless buying another 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, I probably won’t bother anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #61
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I'm a diesel fan and drove a Cummins for a decade. Seems like owning diesels these days is more and more of a headache, and that there's a full blown war against them in some parts of the world prohibiting them from entering large cities and such.

Personally, unless buying another 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, I probably won't bother anymore.
Yes that is true and very unfortunate! Glad there are still some places like Texas where owning a Diesel is a positive!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #62
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I’m a diesel fan and drove a Cummins for a decade. Seems like owning diesels these days is more and more of a headache, and that there’s a full blown war against them in some parts of the world prohibiting them from entering large cities and such.

Personally, unless buying another 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, I probably won’t bother anymore.
+1
      05-16-2019, 04:41 AM   #63
Stew77
Rep
Drives: 15’ X5 35d

2015 f15 64k miles fully deleted & tuned. Best move we made. Gains from Dyno +153 torque + 93hp.
It’s a totally diff driving experience and well worth it.
I see 30-32mpg in city or highway.
Engine mounts should be changed while doing the work I believe.
I’m waiting on transmission tuning and I think it’ll be complete.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #64
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew77 View Post
2015 f15 64k miles fully deleted & tuned. Best move we made. Gains from Dyno +153 torque + 93hp.
It's a totally diff driving experience and well worth it.
I see 30-32mpg in city or highway.
Engine mounts should be changed while doing the work I believe.
I'm waiting on transmission tuning and I think it'll be complete.
Yep! I'm over 135k now and get 33-37mpg combined... no more emission issues! And so much more power with the Malone stage tune I did at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #65
drewgo
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70

Quote:
Yep! I'm over 135k now and get 33-37mpg combined... no more emission issues! And so much more power with the stage tune I Malone did at the same time.
I've been contemplating upgrading from the E70 35d to the f15 35d for the up in gas mileage. This 33-37 definitely tips my scale.
Appreciate 1
MrTookies457.50
      05-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #66
Kakalika
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

37 mpg in a full size SUV !!!!!! I'll take that any day !!!!!!.