Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by probee773 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by probee773 View Post
Did you ever figure this out? About to install my hitch and wiring soon (tap wiring not BMW harness). Per the instructions, it appears that the red and purple wires aren't used? Seems strange since red is brakes and purple is reverse...
Great customer service at Stealth Hitch. Here is the exchange answering my question:

Me: In the wiring instructions, I see that the brake (red), reverse (purple), and electric brake (blue) harness wires do not have corresponding vehicle wires in the chart on page 12 of the instructions. Are you saying these wires are not used?

Cust Serv: Yes these wires are not used. The red wire is not needed for this vehicle. The blue wire is only needed if you have a brake controller. The purple wire is only needed and connected to the reverse wires if you have a trailer with surge brakes.

Me: For the purple reverse wire, I do have a trailer with surge brakes. It would be nice to connect the reverse wire so that it triggers the electric brake lockout actuator when in reverse. Is this possible?

Cust Serv: Yes, just connect the prple to the reverse wire. We do not identify it but you can find the color when you remove a small panel in the tailgate. Note if you are testing it, the tailgate may need to be closed.
Does installing hitch on your own void remaining factory warranty? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 03:37 AM   #24
KFF_X5M
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F85

Anyone towing a boat with this hitch? Factory info claims the X5M only has a towing capacity around 1,000lbs? How would a hitch change this number? I've searched this topic but seem to come up more confused the deeper I search.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #25
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Is anybody running a stealth hitch with Cf diffuser?
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 06:10 PM   #26
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5m / Alpine White

I'm about to try... ordered the kit, it is in transit. May have to dremel some part of it ?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #27
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefler View Post
I'm about to try... ordered the kit, it is in transit. May have to dremel some part of it ?
That's my thought too. Probably need to trim the center a bit. Standing by for pics!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 07:27 PM   #28
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep

Will post.. I'm a bit worried about doing this myself, but the youtube videos and this post make it seem possible. I am also not sure how best to cut CF, hopefully it doesn't fracture/explode
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 11:17 AM   #29
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefler View Post
Will post.. I'm a bit worried about doing this myself, but the youtube videos and this post make it seem possible. I am also not sure how best to cut CF, hopefully it doesn't fracture/explode
Dremel with a cut off wheel, then rotary saw bit to round corners. high speed and move slow.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #30
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR X5M View Post
Dremel with a cut off wheel, then rotary saw bit to round corners. high speed and move slow.
Thanks! I will try that.

I'm annoyed with stealth hitches.. 10 days since the order, no updates. I finally got through to someone and they said they'll check... and lo and behold it ships right then. Seems like they lost the order.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #31
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep

I received the kit earlier this week, spent a big chunk of Saturday installing it. Not sure what I can add to all the other good info out there. It is pretty straightforward if you follow the instructions. The main issue I had is the PDC assembly clip on the passenger side in the bumper. That clip is so fragile and even with help holding the bumper it's impossible to get in there and unclip. I got it done but bent one of the tiny plastic tabs. Not sure how I could do it differently.

Other than that, the CF diffuser definitely conflicts. I decided I do not want to do the big "half moon" cutout as it would take out a lot of the center fin. So I carefully cut a hole just for the accessory that goes into the stealth hitch block.

But, the two corners of that monster stainless steel block conflict with the CF .. just barely, but they would push into it when it's bolted. So I have a neighbor who is a fabricator and he's going to mill the corners off (0.25" @ 45 degree) and hopefully it'll look very stealthy.

Orig bar

stealth hitch

big accessory block

scary cutting

sad PDC cliip

Last edited by kefler; 04-07-2021 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
KFF_X5M44.00
      03-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #32
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nice. Thanks for that as I am also looking to do the hitch with my cf diffuser. Looking forward to full results
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #33
EuroCarFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I had an RKP rep diffuser and had the bottom trimmed to fit my stealth hitch. Didn't like it cause you can kinda see where it's been cut since it's right on the center fin. Switched to a Parsan Tuning one and can't see where it's trimmed at all since there's no center fin. Might switch to the 3D diffuser at one point cause that also has no center fin. Just my .02.
Appreciate 2
NikNala75.00
kefler122.50
      03-14-2021, 06:22 PM   #34
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCarFan View Post
I had an RKP rep diffuser and had the bottom trimmed to fit my stealth hitch. Didn't like it cause you can kinda see where it's been cut since it's right on the center fin. Switched to a Parsan Tuning one and can't see where it's trimmed at all since there's no center fin. Might switch to the 3D diffuser at one point cause that also has no center fin. Just my .02.
Thanks for those suggestions.. I'll take a look if this doesn't work out

Only yesterday did I really see how the center fin cutout would look bad.. so I'm gonna try this slight trimming of the accessory block to see if I can somehow save the fin. The hole I have cut is really all you need, except the corner of the block conflicts with the diffuser a bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 12:11 PM   #35
trigeek66062
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35i

Nice Stealth Hitch - Can't believe dealer only charged you $200

My Dealership in New Mexico wants to charge me $1200!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 12:01 AM   #36
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCarFan View Post

Update.. still working on it, just been cutting incrementally. Since I added the full active towing kit, there's some huge black brackets on either side of the hitch block.

I really liked the full kit, it included every part and instructions were great. Got everything hooked up without issue, just need to get it coded this week.

Anyways, I had to cut out a bit more and it goes into the fin a bit. I think it looks OK, but currently there's still a spot where the metal brackets for the safety chain push down on the diffuser, causing a wavy bad fitment against the bumper.

Here's the hitch block + the brackets that added 1.5" below

And here's how it looks currently. I think it's just about OK if I can trim a bit more to get the fitment right. See how it's not going into the clips along the bumper. This RKP diffuser had crap fitment when I got the car also, so it's not that much worse. You gotta squat down pretty close to see anything unusual.

Some pictures of the wiring fun:

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 06:10 PM   #37
JimmyDee
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6-M

As others mentioned above; this is hands-down the best stealth option for a hitch.

I did the job myself (solo). Took me about 2 hours.
Instructions that come with the kit are thorough, and clearly show you step-by-step.
The rear bumper is large, but weighs nothing (it's just a skin of plastic). Can easily be handled by one guy.

When the hitch block is not attached (clicked in place); you absolutely cannot see any part of the mounting frame, unless you get down and look under the rear bumper.

Hitch block clicked into place:

Ready to roll!

Last edited by JimmyDee; 04-08-2021 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
KFF_X5M44.00
      04-08-2021, 06:21 PM   #38
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

That looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
As others mentioned above; this is hands-down the best stealth option for a hitch.

I did the job myself (solo). Took me about 2 hours.
Instructions that come with the kit are thorough, and clearly show you step-by-step.
The rear bumper is large, but weighs nothing (it's just a skin of plastic). Can easily be handled by one guy.

When the hitch block is not attached (clicked in place); you absolutely cannot see any part of the mounting frame, unless you get down and look under the rear bumper.

Hitch block clicked into place:

Ready to roll!

I bought a SeaSucker and going to try it for my only bike soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #39
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
Glad I found this!
I will totally be adding this to ours.

We also just took delivery of a new X7 w/o a hitch so I was debating which truck to install it on.
Way more confident on the F85 than the G07. lol

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:18 AM   #40
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep

Forgot to update here... still tweaking fitment of my hacking on the CF diffuser but this is how it looks now. Just bought a Thule T2 Pro XTR rack. This is the accessory receiver. I'll try a trailer next.

How it looks normally (hidden hitch):

With the receiver attached.. I love that it's gloss black.

Appreciate 2
      04-27-2021, 06:54 PM   #41
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: got a bike rack (Thule T2 Pro XTR).

I got it coded, no warnings. Backup camera for trailer hitch works .. I see the towing option in iDrive but I need to test the wiring and a real trailer next.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #42
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Just thought I'd drop a note here for anyone debating trying to do this themselves. I did it myself yesterday after hemming and hawing for over a month on whether I wanted to pay someone to do it or not. I only did the hitch with no wiring for a bike rack, so it was the easier install with no wiring. It's all done with basic tools and between the thorough instructions and some youtube videos, it was really straight forward. You just have to take your time. I taped of every and any surface I though may have a risk of geting scratched, even where I pryed the plastic rivets out of the fender trim. I still managed two small paint dings/scrapes that I have no idea how they happened. I was worried the PDC connector would give me fits, but it was okay....took a minute, but okay. The bumper cover is HUGE and crazy flexible so be careful when you pull it off. All in all, it took me about 3 - 3.5 hours. Definitely recommend doing it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 01:29 PM   #43
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep

Took me until today to finally test everything out! I did a dry run hookup of a trailer, and it worked great! I could NOT get any of those cheap LED testers to work at all.

The trailer camera coding is great, very very easy to line up especially with the line indicator that shows the path of the hitch ball exactly.

Once hooked up, all the lights/signals worked, it disabled the rear PDC and puts a "Trailer" triangle icon on the camera screen.

BUT -- The iDrive Settings -> Vehicle Settings -> Towing A Trailer checkbox is still greyed out. As far as I can tell, everything is working great and the car knows it has a trailer. But I guess I thought that checkbox would get checked. I am not quite sure what it's for. Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 12:34 AM   #44
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep

1000 mile tow complete. Works great! The tow module recognized the trailer, disables rear PDC and all the indicators work. It was cool to see the air suspension level the back end after I started it the first time after driving the Canam on the trailer. Went from 1500 to 7900ft and back, and a few runs up to a ski resort area. Gear hold mode on downhill and lower gears on uphill.

It accelerated on any grade. Mainly had to keep reminding myself not to pass everyone on every 2-lane road because the ridiculous setup we had is probably not aerodynamically rated to >90MPH.

Very happy with this new dimension of capability added to the X5M.*

* Except gas milage. O M G. A full tank barely got me 180 miles on the first leg up to Flagstaff. I had to get gas even before getting to town.

This is what 180 miles looks like.
Appreciate 0