BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-04-2021, 05:26 PM   #1
X5X35D
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

bimmercode and warranty

i'm wondering if coding my car could void the warranty?
i have bunch of things coded already like trunk opening/closing, no delays on the comfort windows opening/closing, mirrors folding, seats temperature, switched the fog lights to led, switched off the corning function, m splash logo, launch start, bentley theme, all warning turned off and ambient lighting colours.

i just scheduled an appointment with the dealer for oil change and also asked them to look into two problems
1 ambient lights are not bright enough (compared to another x5)
and
2 when i steer to the right, the headlights turn to the right but when i steer to the left the headlights dont turn to the left

should i put back the original halogen bulbs on the fogs before the appointment?
should i revert any of the coding back to original values?

and one more question - someone told me that the oil change is free during the warranty, is that true? i used to drive benz and i had to pay for any service and oil change..

thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 07:11 PM   #2
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5X35D View Post
i have bunch of things coded already like trunk opening/closing, no delays on the comfort windows opening/closing, mirrors folding, seats temperature, switched the fog lights to led, switched off the corning function, m splash logo, launch start, bentley theme, all warning turned off and ambient lighting colours.

i just scheduled an appointment with the dealer for oil change and also asked them to look into two problems
and
2 when i steer to the right, the headlights turn to the right but when i steer to the left the headlights dont turn to the left

should i put back the original halogen bulbs on the fogs before the appointment?

and one more question - someone told me that the oil change is free during the warranty, is that true? i used to drive benz and i had to pay for any service and oil change..

thank you
Coding should not violate any warranty since those features you turned on are options that BMW ships with and hence supported. Yeah, I coded mine and it makes a big difference. I still have over 4 years on my 7 year unlimited miles BMW CPO Wrap warranty 🤷🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:55 PM   #3
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:

and

thank you
I had mine for service few times after coding and also have fog led bulbs swapped, they also updated software 2 times, just had to coded again
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:04 AM   #4
X5X35D
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

so i should not worry about the codes and just go
the worst case - i have to code it again
but the warranty stays
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
so i should not worry about the codes and just go
the worst case - i have to code it again
but the warranty stays
It shouldn't because they not there to look for coding, if there is a problem they update software for and coding is gone
If they find something was coded they won't be able to proof it was you
I have done coding since new 2 years ago and done many services and maintenance visits and never had a problem
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

As already mentioned...the coding you did was not something you "added" to the vehicle that wasn't already there when it came from the factory. Your coding was selections you made of options that are already in the vehicle.

In regards to your adaptive & cornering lights...the driver's side doesn't move if you are not moving/at idle/standing still. The headlights don't swivel to the left (driver's side) when standing still/at idle/etc as not to blind oncoming traffic on the other side of the road.

The driver's side adaptive headlights/cornering lights move when a specific speed limit is reached or other specific criteria that allows illumination of that side of the road when it won't blind traffic.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-05-2021 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #7
X5X35D
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
As already mentioned...the coding you did was not something you "added" to the vehicle that wasn't already there when it came from the factory. Your coding was selections you made of options that are already in the vehicle.

In regards to your adaptive & cornering lights...the driver's side doesn't move if you are not moving/at idle/standing still. The headlights don't swivel to the left (driver's side) when standing still/at idle/etc as not to blind oncoming traffic on the other side of the road.

The driver's side adaptive headlights/cornering lights move when a specific speed limit is reached or other specific criteria that allows illumination of that side of the road when it won't blind traffic.
oo that's something new. my last three cars were benz and all they were turning the lights to each side when i steer even in stop position.
anyways i booked an appointment with the dealer so they will check if there's anything wrong.

thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #8
Myltz400
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

I would and have coded my car under warranty. But the advice given here I politely don't agree with.

BMW ships cars with motors that make more power with different options through coding. Everybody knows you're taking a chance with performance enhancements. BMW also ships cars with different features that were not on particular vehicles. This is the same deliberate tampering with of their software. BMW is very possessive of and proud of all of their software. After saying that I'm sure it would only take the right technician or service advisor to open a can of worms with car coding of any type.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 05:29 PM   #9
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myltz400 View Post
I would and have coded my car under warranty. But the advice given here I politely don't agree with.

BMW ships cars with motors that make more power with different options through coding. Everybody knows you're taking a chance with performance enhancements. BMW also ships cars with different features that were not on particular vehicles. This is the same deliberate tampering with of their software. BMW is very possessive of and proud of all of their software. After saying that I'm sure it would only take the right technician or service advisor to open a can of worms with car coding of any type.
Emmm, not sure what are you talking about, coding has nothing to do with performance. Just software features, nothing else. You are not opening anything when you code 5 blink turn signal or your mirrors folding automatically or add features BMW had on the other car like 6WB cluster or TJA. I got some mods, coded my car few times same as hundreds of thousands of BMW owners across the world, never had any issues. My SA drives F15 and he coded some items too.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #10
Myltz400
Enlisted Member
Rep

You're probably right. I have just seen my SA go from tune whatever you want to don't mention you coded the trailer hitch. It appears they are closing the gap between the two.

These cars are getting old enough that it want matter soon. And it doesn't matter at all until something expensive breaks.

I would never try to tell people what to do with their own cars, heck I have done it. But for people under warranty I would start using the same philosophy with coding as most do with tunes. Think to yourself is Idrive six worth it just like adding 50 more ft lbs of torque? When you bring it in with purple lights and DVD in motion with an Idrive issue you may get some push back.

Or to use your example, the tail light goes under warranty. Tech says, "hey way does you car signal 5 times instead of 3?

Last edited by Myltz400; 03-09-2021 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 12:57 PM   #11
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're probably right. I have just seen my SA go from tune whatever you want to don't mention you coded the trailer hitch. It appears they are closing the gap between the two.

These cars are getting old enough that it want matter soon. And it doesn't matter at all until something expensive breaks.

I would never try to tell people what to do with their own cars, heck I have done it. But for people under warranty I would start using the same philosophy with coding as most do with tunes. Think to yourself is Idrive six worth it just like adding 50 more ft lbs of torque? When you bring it in with purple lights and DVD in motion with an Idrive issue you may get some push back.

Or to use your example, the tail light goes under warranty. Tech says, "hey way does you car signal 5 times instead of 3?

Sorry but your are making things up. What is version of NBT (not IDrive BTW) has to do with torque? How about MPPK? Which is official BMW product giving you extra HP and torque? You can't code new version of NBT, you can install new unit and retrofit it and if it goes dead yeah, BMW will not replace it for you. Purple lights and video in motion (sorry I don't use DVDs anymore) has nothing to do with NBT or iDrive. No tech will ever say anything about 3 or 5 or 7 turn signal blinks, because you can turn that feature off and use normal old fashioned manual mode, since when there is a limit on turn signal blinks.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #12
Myltz400
Enlisted Member
Rep

The two have nothing to do with each other but BMW is becoming very aggressive at warranty claims. To guarantee to the Op that coding would never become an issue is a stretch IMHO.

Please code on, it makes no difference to me.

Last edited by Myltz400; 03-09-2021 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #13
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The two have nothing to do with each other but BMW is becoming very aggressive at warranty claims.

Sounds like you might want to find another dealership and contact BMW NA customer relations more often.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 08:40 PM   #14
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
The two have nothing to do with each other but BMW is becoming very aggressive at warranty claims. To guarantee to the Op that coding would never become an issue is a stretch IMHO.

My SA knows 100% I have coded my car and I have had multiple warranty-related work done. I agree, BMW is making it harder to code, but it isn't illegal in the same way that you could get warranty on an iPhone even if it was jail-broken. I had no problem taking jail-broken iphones to the Apple Store, they would just re-install the official software if needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:43 PM   #15
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Coding your bmw is similar to going to your Windows registry and activating features.
Windows ships their software with this feature inactive / active and the right engineer can take advantage of. It does not change tour warranty as all features are tested during development and release cycle.
So does your car coding options. They were all tested during development and release cycle.
Appreciate 0