BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-07-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
imtheant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 Melbourne Red

Anyone done a CUSTOM exhaust?

Lots of threads on exhaust, but rather than buy an off the shelf option, has anyone taken a stock F85 to a good local exhaust shop and had them modify it? Any feedback? Catback but pick out a nice aftermarket muffler etc. Thinking of going this route.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #2
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

I have, in a way.
I took the stock muffler and cut it open. The pipes that go through the muffler are perforated and surrounded by fiberglass mat. I made small pieces of sheet metal and welded them in place to cover up about 75% of the perforations. Then I stuffed the fiberglass back in and TIG welded the muffler back together.
I spent a lot of time experimenting with how much to cover inside and this seems to sound the best. It's every bit as good as an aftermarket system.
I also added an X Pipe from a C7 Corvette in the mid-pipe.
We do this mod on a lot of C6 and C7 Corvettes.
Appreciate 1
imtheant127.50
      03-07-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
imtheant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
I have, in a way.
I took the stock muffler and cut it open. The pipes that go through the muffler are perforated and surrounded by fiberglass mat. I made small pieces of sheet metal and welded them in place to cover up about 75% of the perforations. Then I stuffed the fiberglass back in and TIG welded the muffler back together.
I spent a lot of time experimenting with how much to cover inside and this seems to sound the best. It's every bit as good as an aftermarket system.
Quote:
I have, in a way.
That's good information. How did the sound change from stock? Deeper? Louder? Different tone?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #4
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Find some who TIG welds so it looks cleaner. For me, I am the type of person who hates mismatched aluminum so I stopped getting things done to exhaust unless I bought a full kit. If you want just sound, you can replace things like secondary cats with resonators, stock muffler with a smaller muffler, etc...

For individual parts, I would look at Vibrant. Most custom shops use vibrant parts. Cheaper than magnaflow also.

My experience: Had about four different exhaust set ups on my previous M4.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 04:19 PM   #5
masa52
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F86

big difference I can confirm!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 09:19 PM   #6
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheant View Post
That's good information. How did the sound change from stock? Deeper? Louder? Different tone?
Idle is a little louder and maybe deeper. At WOT it's way louder and maybe a little higher pitched as opposed to deeper.

Funnily enough, I just bought a 16 Carbon Black F85 today. I took my modified muffler off the 16 and put an extra stocker that I had on it before I traded it in.
The new one already had a Dinan muffler on it. I'm going to swap them back and forth, but my first iimpression is that I like my modified one better.
I have Akropovic carbon tips on it so it looks good too.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #7
Psychoticgroove
Builderbloke
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M LBB

Quote:
Idle is a little louder and maybe deeper. At WOT it's way louder and maybe a little higher pitched as opposed to deeper.

Funnily enough, I just bought a 16 Carbon Black F85 today. I took my modified muffler off the 16 and put an extra stocker that I had on it before I traded it in.
The new one already had a Dinan muffler on it. I'm going to swap them back and forth, but my first iimpression is that I like my modified one better.
I have Akropovic carbon tips on it so it looks good too.
Hi mate, how did you go comparing the Dinan with your custom set up? If you've got a video, that would be great!
      03-09-2021, 08:43 AM   #8
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Basis exhaust logic -

Smaller muffler = louder and more drone (where in the RPM range not sure, you would just have to drive around and find out). Having a valved muffler like stock helps as you can close the valves when needed.
adding resonators = very minor decrease in DB, but makes sound deeper.
removing resonators = slightly louder. same thing as removing secondary cats. usually adds a tiny bit of drone.
Removing primary cat aka adding downpipe = Loud AF. valves help when closed.

I have been through a ton of exhaust set ups, both custom and purchased.
Appreciate 0