BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-13-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Knee Trim

Hi everyone,

I am considering purchasing the M Performance Carbon Fiber interior trim for my car. I currently have the shiny wood trim. I don't think the carbon fiber kit comes with the two knee trims that goes on each side of the center console.

As far as that piece goes, what are the best options? I wouldn't necessarily need it to be carbon fiber, but maybe a gloss black? Is that part hard to take off? Looking for the most cost effective option.

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
NYC_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘16 X5

Vinyl wrap gloss black. Probably the cheapest route.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthpatel1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am considering purchasing the M Performance Carbon Fiber interior trim for my car. I currently have the shiny wood trim. I don't think the carbon fiber kit comes with the two knee trims that goes on each side of the center console.

As far as that piece goes, what are the best options? I wouldn't necessarily need it to be carbon fiber, but maybe a gloss black? Is that part hard to take off? Looking for the most cost effective option.

Thanks everyone.
Correct, the M Performance CF trim kit is 6 pieces - 2 for the dash + 4 door pieces. It's awesome - I would recommend it, even though it's $$$

Those center console pieces are a bit of work to get off - you need to disassemble a decent amount of the center console. Once removed, you could either wrap your existing wood pieces or try to find different OEM pieces. Keep in mind OEM would be one of the 3 wood trims, or one of the 2 silver trims - doubt those would look very good paired with CF trim. The only OEM gloss black trim is Piano Black, but that was an individual option, are very rare.

While not cost effective, the X6 knee pads would look the best IMO. A bit of a pain to install, but there's a nice DIY in the link below, including tons of pics.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=knee+pads
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Correct, the M Performance CF trim kit is 6 pieces - 2 for the dash + 4 door pieces. It's awesome - I would recommend it, even though it's $$$

Those center console pieces are a bit of work to get off - you need to disassemble a decent amount of the center console. Once removed, you could either wrap your existing wood pieces or try to find different OEM pieces. Keep in mind OEM would be one of the 3 wood trims, or one of the 2 silver trims - doubt those would look very good paired with CF trim. The only OEM gloss black trim is Piano Black, but that was an individual option, are very rare.

While not cost effective, the X6 knee pads would look the best IMO. A bit of a pain to install, but there's a nice DIY in the link below, including tons of pics.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=knee+pads
+1 on investing in actual knee pads. Worth it.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0