BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6GC, X5M, M3, X7, X5

Bootmod3 Tune - Drivability & Shifting questions

Considering a Bootmod3 flash tune for my F85. I'm interested in any feedback owners could share regarding drivability and shifting. I'm confident I'll be happy with the extra power based off of reviews.

When downshifting (stock), it almost feels like the rev matching comes up a little short on RPMs, resulting in a somewhat jerky downshift when the lower gear engages, mostly lower speeds into second & first gear.

Manual upshifts usually aren't as smooth as auto upshifts (comparing same shift/throttle settings). It feels like the throttle cuts out a little longer, resulting in more lurching when the higher gear engages.

Off throttle response can be a little abrupt, especially in sport plus. Throttle response in anything but sport plus is a little lazy.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

I've had my BM3 tune now for about 3 months, and when the car is on full sport plus for throttle and shifting is set to "3", or maximum speed, it can be a little jerky. So I backed off on the shift speed setting to "2", and it made a world of difference.

My settings for M1 and M2 are:

M1:
Throttle: Sport Plus
Suspension:Sport
Steering: Sport
Shift Mode: S2

M2:
Throttle: Sport Plus
Suspension:Comfort
Steering: Sport
Shift Mode: D2
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your feedback desertfox. I think you commented on the improved power delivery and smoothness with the BM3 tune in another thread. Did you notice any improvements in upshifting & downshifting with BM3? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
desertfox73
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM6 View Post
Thanks for your feedback desertfox. I think you commented on the improved power delivery and smoothness with the BM3 tune in another thread. Did you notice any improvements in upshifting & downshifting with BM3? Thanks.
Not so much on the X5M, but then again I added the tune very shortly after buying the car so I can't say I had much experience with the stock shifting as a basis of comparison. Others may have more to add.

Overall I love the tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
UAEX6M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
Quote:
Not so much on the X5M, but then again I added the tune very shortly after buying the car so I can't say I had much experience with the stock shifting as a basis of comparison. Others may have more to add.

Overall I love the tune.
What are the mods on the x5m? Only a bm3? Stage 1?
      05-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
desertfox73
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAEX6M View Post
What are the mods on the x5m? Only a bm3? Stage 1?
In terms of performance mods, yep - just BM3 stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #7
HotTub TimeMachine
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M

Has anyone gone with an Open Flash Tune X5/6M?

Would be interested to hear how it shifts and drives.

This post has me interested - Stock M5 with only open flash tune put down more power than both Dinan & ESS tuned/modded cars. Shame a Bootmod car was not there.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #8
AWe92M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Considering a Bootmod3 flash tune for my F85. I'm interested in any feedback owners could share regarding drivability and shifting. I'm confident I'll be happy with the extra power based off of reviews.

When downshifting (stock), it almost feels like the rev matching comes up a little short on RPMs, resulting in a somewhat jerky downshift when the lower gear engages, mostly lower speeds into second & first gear.

Manual upshifts usually aren't as smooth as auto upshifts (comparing same shift/throttle settings). It feels like the throttle cuts out a little longer, resulting in more lurching when the higher gear engages.

Off throttle response can be a little abrupt, especially in sport plus. Throttle response in anything but sport plus is a little lazy.

BM3 definitely opens up the truck to its full power. i just got the BM3 stage 2 about 2 weeks ago and wish i had done it before. currently have downpipes BM3 Stage 2 and stock exhaust. Adding RK intakes next week.

with the stage 2 there is no lag in shifting or power.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 12:11 AM   #9
nanwang
Private
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWe92M3 View Post
Quote:

BM3 definitely opens up the truck to its full power. i just got the BM3 stage 2 about 2 weeks ago and wish i had done it before. currently have downpipes BM3 Stage 2 and stock exhaust. Adding RK intakes next week.

with the stage 2 there is no lag in shifting or power.
Can I get Bm3 stage 2 without downpipe?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
AWe92M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanwang View Post
Can I get Bm3 stage 2 without downpipe?
Stage 2 is designed for cars that have downpipes. however I would confirm with ProtuningFreaks as they can give you more information. anyone who is local to the NYC area and is looking for the BM3 tune PM me and we can make it happen. Stage 1, Stage 2 and even fine tuning after the Stage 2 has been installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:34 PM   #11
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

Quote:
Stage 2 is designed for cars that have downpipes. however I would confirm with ProtuningFreaks as they can give you more information. anyone who is local to the NYC area and is looking for the BM3 tune PM me and we can make it happen. Stage 1, Stage 2 and even fine tuning after the Stage 2 has been installed.
Any idea if the burble option can only be done on stage 2?
2019 Audi Q8
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #12
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabizzy View Post
Any idea if the burble option can only be done on stage 2?
I was told Stage 1 has burble. Looking at OTS maps, mild burble is listed as an addition back in October of 2018.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #13
DJ_Jetty
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M F86

Quote:
I'm looking into the BM3 tune for the F86 as well. I know downpipes are recommended for the stage 2 tune, but are there any other recommendations in terms of parts? I've heard some say BMC filters as well as an intercooler upgrade. Just want to make sure I'm future-proofing, as I just want to start out with a stage 1 tune first.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #14
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Jetty View Post
Quote:
I'm looking into the BM3 tune for the F86 as well. I know downpipes are recommended for the stage 2 tune, but are there any other recommendations in terms of parts? I've heard some say BMC filters as well as an intercooler upgrade. Just want to make sure I'm future-proofing, as I just want to start out with a stage 1 tune first.
Stage 1 93 and stage 2 93 not sure what octane you would like to run but same thing applies.
Attached Images

01-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #15
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Jetty View Post
I've tried the Stage 2 without downpipes and really didn't notice a difference.
Once the downpipes were installed, then there was a noticable difference between Stage 1 and 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #16
HydroStream6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Does BM3 give the option to remove the CEL for the downpipes so we can pass emissions here in New Yorkistan?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:41 PM   #17
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I am on BM3 stage 1 91 octane but will be going to 93 octane soon.

I also experienced what OP did with jerky downshifts. The only problem is that I had the tune installed at the same time I had the trans fluid flushed as well as adding a new air intake. Regardless, much smoother overall than before. I might have to adjust pressure on the brakes slightly but not at all like before. Before, I would have to time the downshift into second and take my foot off the brake entirely right before the downshift.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #18
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3 Non ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroStream6 View Post
Quote:
Does BM3 give the option to remove the CEL for the downpipes so we can pass emissions here in New Yorkistan?

Thanks!
Yes you can turn off the CEL from the installation of downpipes with BM3. Turning off the CEL will not help you pass emissions.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #19
X5M_RoOkIE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman_newyork View Post
Yes you can turn off the CEL from the installation of downpipes with BM3. Turning off the CEL will not help you pass emissions.
what will help you pass Inspections with downpipes in nyc?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #20
DKNewYork
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' M5, 17' X5M

Interested in info for passing inspection as well. I just ordered VRSF downpipes too.
      06-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #21
eDubz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

My understanding is that you can use a defouler spacer on the 2nd O2 sensor to bypass the CEL... but I want someone else to confirm because I'm not 100% positive.

I found these spacers on Amazon - 2PCS O2 Defouler Straight M18 x 1.5 fits Header and Exhaust Pipes Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07STVNJ3K..._lLR6EbBYPXNBK

2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 09:39 PM   #22
BleuDawg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

I have had the BM3 stage 1 for about 5 months now. It woke up the car and made a tremendous difference - I haven't experienced any of the jerkiness or other concerns - car drives great and I am generally happy. Stomping on it off the line thought isn;'t as impressive as I would hope.I ve tried in sport and regular and seems first gear or the transfer case or just the sheer weight of the truck it doesn't jump off the line like I expected.
Appreciate 0