10-18-2019, 06:37 AM   #111
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, F80 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Some great info in this thread, I used the info here and checked for powerstop pads for my E70 X5M and they make front and rears. i'll order them this week as my pads are due to be changed soon. Thanks.
Quote:
Some great info in this thread, I used the info here and checked for powerstop pads for my E70 X5M and they make front and rears. i'll order them this week as my pads are due to be changed soon. Thanks.
Similar experience!

Installed Powerstop pads Z23-1648 (M5 application) on my F86 paired with new rotors.

The stopping power is insane. Bites better than my old stock pads, and barely any dust.

Only downside is the M5 pads are smaller than our F85/6 rotors. So it doesn't cover the entire surface. Makes me wonder how the car would stop with the correct pads made by Powerstop.

Here are pictures documenting the lack of coverage. Seems drastic. But the car stops so well now! It feels like a 911 GT3 with track pads. Even if Powerstop doesn't make our application, I would run this setup again!

First pic (Brand new Rotor)
Second Pic (After 20 miles of bedding in, the darker discolored-ness near the hub i where the pads dont touch.
Attached Images

Last edited by CSM3; 10-18-2019 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
KCTiger522.50
      10-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #112
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Wow, ceramic brake pads have gone along way, I used Akebono in my E53 and E71 and the braking power was not the same compare to OE pads, no dust was the only benefit.

I'll keep this one in mind next time I need new pads
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #113
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer35 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Similar experience!

Installed Powerstop pads Z23-1648 (M5 application) on my F86 paired with new rotors.

The stopping power is insane. Bites better than my old stock pads, and barely any dust.

Only downside is the M5 pads are smaller than our F85/6 rotors. So it doesn't cover the entire surface. Makes me wonder how the car would stop with the correct pads made by Powerstop.

Here are pictures documenting the lack of coverage. Seems drastic. But the car stops so well now! It feels like a 911 GT3 with track pads. Even if Powerstop doesn't make our application, I would run this setup again!

Second Pic (After 20 miles of bedding in, the darker discolored-ness near the hub i where the pads dont touch.
Thanks for sharing! I have those pads sitting in my garage waiting to be installed (by someone else lol). I was thinking about just swapping pads without rotors but it seems as though conventional wisdom is to swap both unless significant life left on the rotors. If I am mistaken please let me know. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #114
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Similar experience!

Thanks for sharing! I have those pads sitting in my garage waiting to be installed (by someone else lol). I was thinking about just swapping pads without rotors but it seems as though conventional wisdom is to swap both unless significant life left on the rotors. If I am mistaken please let me know. Thanks again!
I have always had best "bed in" when pads and rotors are swapped together.

If you haven't heard of FCP euro, check them out.

The deal is that they provide lifetime warranty on any parts you buy.

Every time I replace pads on my track cars or (now and moving forward) my F86. I will place an order for new rotors from FCP euro, install them with new pads, and ship the old worn out ones back to FCP. When FCP receives the parts. They will give me a full refund on the second set of rotors I purchased (and subsequent ones too).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #115
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
I have always had best "bed in" when pads and rotors are swapped together.

If you haven't heard of FCP euro, check them out.

The deal is that they provide lifetime warranty on any parts you buy.

Every time I replace pads on my track cars or (now and moving forward) my F86. I will place an order for new rotors from FCP euro, install them with new pads, and ship the old worn out ones back to FCP. When FCP receives the parts. They will give me a full refund on the second set of rotors I purchased (and subsequent ones too).
That smart for track car, but I hope I don't ever have to replace pads/rotors twice on the same car
Usually the car is rather long in the tooth after the first pads replacement anyway
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #116
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Wow, ceramic brake pads have gone along way, I used Akebono in my E53 and E71 and the braking power was not the same compare to OE pads, no dust was the only benefit.

Quote:

The bedding in method is extremely impt. I never learnt the importance of proper bedding process till I started doing more track days and had to swap rotors and pads more frequently.

If not properly run in. The pads won't transfer some material on to the rotors. If that transfer doesn't happen. You do not get that initial bite. It's usually harder when you have new pads and old rotors.

This is honestly why you will find different feedback on pads. Some would say amazing bite. And other say otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #117
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

The bedding in method is extremely impt. I never learnt the importance of proper bedding process till I started doing more track days and had to swap rotors and pads more frequently.

If not properly run in. The pads won't transfer some material on to the rotors. If that transfer doesn't happen. You do not get that initial bite. It's usually harder when you have new pads and old rotors.

This is honestly why you will find different feedback on pads. Some would say amazing bite. And other say otherwise.
So should I search the forums for proper bed in process as I certainly do not know what a good process would be.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #118
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

So should I search the forums for proper bed in process as I certainly do not know what a good process would be.
Basically, most research you do. Will say the same thing. 8X: 80-20mph brakes. Let the car cool. Do not come to a stop, you will experience some brake fade and burning scent coming.

Check the rotors and look out for a bluish hue on the rotors.

That's basically not very realistic on public roads. So I do about 65-20 late at night, but have also found left foot braking whilst driving at around 30/40mph for 3 min on. 3 min off to work well. Trick with new cars is that you cannot step too hard on the brake with ur left foot whilst right foot is on gas, as it will auto cut power. So I do a 10% brake application.

Key points: avoid coming to a full stop when possible, and if a must, shift directly in to neutral, and avoid applying the brakes when stopped.

Always try to drive around for at least 3-5mins after each "bedding process" to give the brakes a chance to cool.

Do not be shocked with initial brake fade. It's part of the bedding in process. Once the brakes cool sufficiently. The bite will come back.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #119
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Has anyone used the M5 Powerstop Z26 pads on their cars instead of the Z23?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #120
Bartus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
Has anyone used the M5 Powerstop Z26 pads on their cars instead of the Z23?
I am also interested to know the difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #121
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Just had Z23 pads installed. Initial impression is great. Just as good feel with no squeal. Dust is tbd.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:08 PM   #122
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

The Heelcat crowd uses the Z26 and I wonder why no one here has as yet..

On another note, why the hell is Power Stop and Brembo taking so long to bring theirs to market. Had them pegged at at least October. Guess what, October came and went.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #123
Mmvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Just had Z23 pads installed. Initial impression is great. Just as good feel with no squeal. Dust is tbd.
how's the dust
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #124
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmvic View Post
Quote:
how's the dust
Can't be 100% objective bc we've had a lot of precipitation lately. Regardless, it seems almost nonexistent.

Much of the rotor is not swept, as known, so not sure how long rotors will last but as of now I would highly highly recommend this option. The elimination of the brake squeal alone has been amazing. No dust is icing.
Appreciate 1
Mmvic61.00
      01-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #125
joludo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M4 CS

Running hawk performance ceramic on a 19 X6m over a month now and they feel excellent if not better than stock on bite.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:33 PM   #126
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by joludo View Post
Running hawk performance ceramic on a 19 X6m over a month now and they feel excellent if not better than stock on bite.
I've got Hawk on all 4 corners for a few months now. I think they feel soft, require more pedal force for hard stops, and lack the bite of the OEM (I have mostly been running them in cold weather). Squeal is virtually gone (I've heard it a total of 3-4 times after initial install, but none since) and the lack of brake dust is awesome.
      01-31-2020, 10:09 PM   #127
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
I've got Hawk on all 4 corners for a few months now. I think they feel soft, require more pedal force for hard stops, and lack the bite of the OEM (I have mostly been running them in cold weather). Squeal is virtually gone (I've heard it a total of 3-4 times after initial install, but none since) and the lack of brake dust is awesome.
Same here, just changed the pads though no rotors
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #128
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6GC, X5M, M3, X7, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartus View Post
I am also interested to know the difference.
According to PowerStop it's the same pad material, but the Z26 includes stainless steel shims for better heat dissipation. From their website:

The Z23 pads are a Carbon-Fiber Ceramic formula that offer great dust-free braking performance. This kit is designed for increased braking power for a daily-driven car, truck, SUV or crossover.

The Z26, on the other hand is designed for extreme street braking performance on high performance vehicles. This kit includes premium stainless steel shims to provide better heat dissipation, as well as the Carbon Fiber Ceramic formula found on the Z23 brake pads.

https://v2.powerstop.com/z23-vs-z26-...right-for-you/
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #129
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM6 View Post
According to PowerStop it's the same pad material, but the Z26 includes stainless steel shims for better heat dissipation. From their website:

The Z23 pads are a Carbon-Fiber Ceramic formula that offer great dust-free braking performance. This kit is designed for increased braking power for a daily-driven car, truck, SUV or crossover.

The Z26, on the other hand is designed for extreme street braking performance on high performance vehicles. This kit includes premium stainless steel shims to provide better heat dissipation, as well as the Carbon Fiber Ceramic formula found on the Z23 brake pads.

https://v2.powerstop.com/z23-vs-z26-...right-for-you/
But when are we gonna be able to buy them specifically for our model and not M5s?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #130
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Probably never
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #131
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6GC, X5M, M3, X7, X5

I hear ya. I've been pinging them for over a year. It's always just a few months away. The Z16 is available for the front. Seems like it should be pretty easy form them to spin up the Z23 front pad.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #132
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM6 View Post
I hear ya. I've been pinging them for over a year. It's always just a few months away. The Z16 is available for the front. Seems like it should be pretty easy form them to spin up the Z23 front pad.
I just find it awkwardly strange that Brembo of all, doesn't have something available either. It's been 5 years and like KC said , we'll probably never see one.
Appreciate 0