BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-01-2020, 01:35 AM   #1
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Sparkplug Replacement...

First of all, the CBS on the car and the recommended repairs via the dealer when scanning your key, are the most confusing system I have had with any BMW, this is my 4th BMW and I am getting a little frustrated....

Anyway, I recently had some service done (trailer hitch) and they noted that I was coming up on a brake flush and diff fluid swap. I had the dealership fix the trailer hitch module and brake fluid flush and figured I would do the diff.

After some research, I realized the diff fluid swap is completely different than any "normal" car. Over Xmas I was near a BMW dealership and had them to the diff service.

When I first met with them, they said that my car didn't need any service. I told them, I had just been at a previous dealership and they provided me a printout that I was due for a brake fluid flush and diff service. The SA said when the dealership resets items like "oil change, micro filter, etc...it resets all of the service regardless if it was done or not. (Sounds stupid to me, but I knew I needed the diff service, so the dealership was happy to oblige.

The SA told me that my next scheduled service is in about 3000 miles and at that time I should replace the sparkplugs, air filter, and micro filter.

My air filters look great and I had just replaced the micro filter, so I am good there. However, I am planning on doing the plugs myself. (Closest Dealer is 10 hours away).

I asked how often the plugs are supposed to be replaced, the SA said every 35k miles. I am currently at 45k and it shows that I am still on my original plugs...?!

1). What is the recommended plug change interval? (If it is 35k, why is the SA saying I don't need them til 48k?)

2). Why would the first dealership not mention anything about plugs being needed in the near future?

3). I can't find any walkthroughs on plug replacements, is it pretty straight forward?

4). Any recommendations on who to buy the plugs from?

I am OCD on maintenance and just want to treat the car right. However, there are too many items you can't even reset on your own (sparkplugs, micro filter, air filter, diff service, etc...)

Any advice? Car currently has 45k miles on it. Every now and then the rpms drop a small amount when cold at start up, but nothing major (yet).

I tried to purchase a service manual but can't seem to find one.

I scheduled maintenance interval chart would be great, rather then CBS warnings that don't cover half of the scheduled maintenance items.

Thanks in advance!

Jake
2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 06:54 AM   #2
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Sounds like the guys in your area are on bath salts and they just so happen to work @ the local dealership 😂.. I could imagine your frustration because I got frustrated reading that.
      01-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #3
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i101 View Post
First of all, the CBS on the car and the recommended repairs via the dealer when scanning your key, are the most confusing system I have had with any BMW, this is my 4th BMW and I am getting a little frustrated....

Anyway, I recently had some service done (trailer hitch) and they noted that I was coming up on a brake flush and diff fluid swap. I had the dealership fix the trailer hitch module and brake fluid flush and figured I would do the diff.

After some research, I realized the diff fluid swap is completely different than any "normal" car. Over Xmas I was near a BMW dealership and had them to the diff service.

When I first met with them, they said that my car didn't need any service. I told them, I had just been at a previous dealership and they provided me a printout that I was due for a brake fluid flush and diff service. The SA said when the dealership resets items like "oil change, micro filter, etc...it resets all of the service regardless if it was done or not. (Sounds stupid to me, but I knew I needed the diff service, so the dealership was happy to oblige.

The SA told me that my next scheduled service is in about 3000 miles and at that time I should replace the sparkplugs, air filter, and micro filter.

My air filters look great and I had just replaced the micro filter, so I am good there. However, I am planning on doing the plugs myself. (Closest Dealer is 10 hours away).

I asked how often the plugs are supposed to be replaced, the SA said every 35k miles. I am currently at 45k and it shows that I am still on my original plugs...?!

1). What is the recommended plug change interval? (If it is 35k, why is the SA saying I don't need them til 48k?)

2). Why would the first dealership not mention anything about plugs being needed in the near future?

3). I can't find any walkthroughs on plug replacements, is it pretty straight forward?

I am OCD on maintenance and just want to treat the car right. However, there are too many items you can't even reset on your own (sparkplugs, micro filter, air filter, diff service, etc...)

Any advice? Car currently has 45k miles on it. Every now and then the rpms drop a small amount when cold at start up, but nothing major (yet).

I scheduled maintenance interval chart would be great, rather then CBS warnings that don't cover half of the scheduled maintenance items.

Thanks in advance!

Jake
There are many vendors on the site that can hook you up or just google x5m plugs ,many options including Ngk or OEM with great prices. There is good dyi on the f15 x5 forum for the 50i for changing plugs which shouldn’t any then your f85. It’s pretty straight forward just need a couple special tools - some long extensions, swivel socket, and a thin wall sparkplug socket. Anyone with some basic mechanical ability can tackle this . Good luck man!
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 1
335i10179.00
      01-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Jake
There are many vendors on the site that can hook you up or just google x5m plugs ,many options including Ngk or OEM with great prices. There is good dyi on the f15 x5 forum for the 50i for changing plugs which shouldn’t any then your f85. It’s pretty straight forward just need a couple special tools - some long extensions, swivel socket, and a thin wall sparkplug socket. Anyone with some basic mechanical ability can tackle this . Good luck man!
Are OEM pretty close to or as good as most other options? Getting mine changed next week and Indy shop planner to use OEM. NGK seems to be popular but didn't know if there was any evidence to suggest they are actually better.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Are OEM pretty close to or as good as most other options? Getting mine changed next week and Indy shop planner to use OEM. NGK seems to be popular but didn't know if there was any evidence to suggest they are actually better.
I would say the OEM are also great , I think a lot of people went with the NGK’s cause they were a cheaper alternative to the OEM. Can’t go wrong with either!!
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 1
335i10179.00
      01-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #6
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Jake
Jake, here's a thread that will help. Applicable to the F85, even though the title is 50i. I did mine for the first time back in September. If I did them again, without the first-time fumbles and false starts, it wouldn't take more than 45 minutes. I used the X5M plugs gapped at .06mm.
      01-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #7
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

Not sure on why the first dealer didn't mention; may have been looking to just do it so you don't worry about it.

I'm at 29k miles right now, mine were done at 20k under the maintenance upgrade plan I paid for. Cost me $100 for the upgraded plan instead of like $700 without it! Car drove much stronger right after.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 12:01 AM   #8
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
Not sure on why the first dealer didn't mention; may have been looking to just do it so you don't worry about it.

I'm at 29k miles right now, mine were done at 20k under the maintenance upgrade plan I paid for. Cost me $100 for the upgraded plan instead of like $700 without it! Car drove much stronger right after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Jake
There are many vendors on the site that can hook you up or just google x5m plugs ,many options including Ngk or OEM with great prices. There is good dyi on the f15 x5 forum for the 50i for changing plugs which shouldn't any then your f85. It's pretty straight forward just need a couple special tools - some long extensions, swivel socket, and a thin wall sparkplug socket. Anyone with some basic mechanical ability can tackle this . Good luck man!
Thanks, sounds like something I can tackle, set of plugs as been ordered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Jake
Jake, here's a thread that will help. Applicable to the F85, even though the title is 50i. I did mine for the first time back in September. If I did them again, without the first-time fumbles and false starts, it wouldn't take more than 45 minutes. I used the X5M plugs gapped at .06mm.
Sounds, I was waiting to hear stories..."you need to jack up the motor, disconnect the tranny, etc...". Hopefully this goes as easy as an other plug swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post

Good to hear, ya I definitely wouldn't say it is running rough, but seems to stumble a little every now and then. Hoping the plugs straighten it out.
2007 650i-sold
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

So when do the plugs need to be changed? 35k, 48K?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #10
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
So when do the plugs need to be changed? 35k, 48K?
In BMW's maintenance schedule, spark plugs are every 3rd oil change or approximately 30k miles.

Last edited by ferrarif1; 01-02-2020 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: spelling...
Appreciate 1
cncmastr1579.00
      01-09-2020, 09:49 PM   #11
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Was in the process of getting a DME stage 2 tune and dp's when my guy said I needed new spark plugs. Currently at 35k miles. He said totally normal and should be done right around 30k mikes for these vehicles.
335i10179.00
      01-26-2020, 12:37 AM   #12
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Installed mine today without issue. Pretty much the same as the 50i write up, except I didn't use any u-joints for the rachet, just a flex head.

Both of the rear plugs are the hardest to get to. Passenger side you need to remove the cowling and cabin air filter.

I recommend running a rope through the top of the coils, they pop right out.

My plugs were in good shape, I think they must have been changed once before.

Overall took about 1.5hrs. It is really self-explanatory. Just make sure you align the coil packs when you reseat them.

You do have to remove the aux coolant bracket to get access to one of the plugs. You don't need to remove or disconnect the tank.

Overall went very smooth. I would call this a 2 job.
2007 650i-sold
Appreciate 1
CT335xi682.50
      01-26-2020, 01:28 AM   #13
superkevin813
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Installed mine today without issue. Pretty much the same as the 50i write up, except I didn't use any u-joints for the racket, just a flex head.

Both of the rear plugs are the hardest to get to. Passenger side you need to remove the cowling and cabin air filter.

My plugs were in good shape, I think they must have been charged once before.

Overall took about 1.5hrs. It is really self-explanatory. Just make sure you align the coil packs when you reseat them.

You do have to remove the aux coolant bracket to get access to one of the plugs. You don't need to remove or disconnect the tank.

Overall went very smooth. I what call this a 2 job.
did you take picture of each location?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 11:42 PM   #14
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkevin813 View Post
Quote:
Installed mine today without issue. Pretty much the same as the 50i write up, except I didn't use any u-joints for the racket, just a flex head.

My plugs were in good shape, I think they must have been charged once before.

Overall went very smooth. I what call this a 2 job.
did you take picture of each location?
Pictures of where the plugs/coils are located? No. It is pretty obvious just looking at the engine as to their locations.
2007 650i-sold
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 11:51 PM   #15
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Thanks for your post. I bought OEM plugs from my local dealer at wholesale price. Can I just install them "as is" or do I need to gap them?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #16
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Thanks for your post. I bought OEM plugs from my local dealer at wholesale price. Can I just install them "as is" or do I need to gap them?
I am guessing they are all gapped correctly, but no harm in double checking them. Mine were all good and I didn't need to make any adjustments to the gaps.
2007 650i-sold
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 08:51 PM   #17
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

What's up? anyone ever get to bottom of this thread.. looking to change plugs but can't find any good info on forum or google.. gap? Actual ngk part numbers? If anyone actually running with bm3 tunes?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:22 PM   #18
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnnyB0yx5m View Post
What's up? anyone ever get to bottom of this thread.. looking to change plugs but can't find any good info on forum or google.. gap? Actual ngk part numbers? If anyone actually running with bm3 tunes?
Check out Edward M car's YouTube channel.

Appreciate 2
      03-02-2021, 07:50 AM   #19
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

He's showing u more of how to get it done which is a very good video but I need more info on what people r actually running tunes not tuned, gap sizes, oem or replacements..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #20
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnnyB0yx5m View Post
He's showing u more of how to get it done which is a very good video but I need more info on what people r actually running tunes not tuned, gap sizes, oem or replacements..
I believe that's why the guy from Edwards M Cars video is changing his spark plugs. He did a tune on the car and when he test drove it the car started to misfire and went limp. He got it home and realized he had to change the spark plugs and coils. On the previous video where is changing the plugs, if you go to the 1:30 minute mark he tells you what the gap should be and does all of the plugs before install. If I remember correctly he retunes the car after.

Last edited by Slickrick2; 03-02-2021 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #21
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...+and+which+gap

This is from bm3 unsure if it's for our s63tu motor as people do state that there is difference from a f10 to x5m s63tu which I don't believe is right
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 07:09 AM   #22
WolfRacer
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M, 2013 535ix

My 17 X5M was at dealer getting both rear air bags replaced under warranty. Has 37k miles. I asked my BMW service rep if Spark plugs need replacing, as service manual says 30k. He told me he looked at the key for the vehicle and it was not due spark plugs (it would cost $780!). he said the car will alert me when needed as it is based on driving. He said usually around 45k-50k based on driving habits. I am pretty sure my car was owned by a older person that did not drive it hard. Is this accurate the car will tell me when spark plugs are due?

I will DIY when I should do them, does not look like a hard job.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0