BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
oryshi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10M5/335AH

X5M - thoughts after 3 days of ownership

Hi folks,
Coming back to BMW as my main car (we also have a 3 hybrid) after 2 years (2013 M5 was last one). Drove 2010 S63 but it was starting to fall apart on me so it was time for a change.

This is an incredible car, no doubt. However, I am a little disappointed with a couple of things:

- Sound: Not a potent sounding as the last generation X5M into. Is there a solution to this?

- Luxury: Coming from an S63, this is my biggest gripe... no active cruise and noticeably cheaper plastics more on par with our 3 series.

- Performance: Quite unbelievable actually. More impressive than my last M5..
-Seats: I can't get used to the seating position. Perhaps it's because it's my first SUV and I am not used to sitting position. The steering wheel doesn't come down low enough for me so I need to bring the seat way up...

By the way how hard is it to lower this car by about 1 inch?
That's about it - Feedback welcome
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

- Sound: Not a potent sounding as the last generation X5M into. Is there a solution to this? - Exhaust valve mod. Put the car in Sport+, Rev the Engine, Turn the car off, then disconnect (unplug) both exhaust valves (near the tailpipes). Seal the plugs from water. This should make the car louder.

Side Note: Exhaust insulation takes 1-2k miles to break in. It will sound louder.

- Luxury: Coming from an S63, this is my biggest gripe... no active cruise and noticeably cheaper plastics more on par with our 3 series. - I don't agree with you here. I have full Merino leather. It's more luxurious than my F02 750Li. Every inch is wrapped with high end leather and alcantara.(photo below)

- By the way how hard is it to lower this car by about 1 inch?
- Wait for K&W V3 if you really need to lower. Don't mess up an M suspension with cheap springs. Especially the M division has tuned this car on the Ring. Just replacing the springs make the ride bouncy.
Attached Images

Last edited by JNoSol; 07-23-2015 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
oryshi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
- Sound: Not a potent sounding as the last generation X5M into. Is there a solution to this? - Exhaust valve mod. Put the car in Sport+, Rev the Engine, Turn the car off, then disconnect (unplug) both exhaust valves (near the tailpipes). Seal the plugs from water. This should make the car louder.

Side Note: Exhaust insulation takes 1-2k miles to break in. It will sound louder.

- Luxury: Coming from an S63, this is my biggest gripe... no active cruise and noticeably cheaper plastics more on par with our 3 series. - I don't agree with you here. I have full Merino leather. It's more luxurious than my F02 750Li. Every inch is wrapped with high end leather and alcantara.(photo below)

- By the way how hard is it to lower this car by about 1 inch?
- Wait for K&W V3 if you really need to lower. Don't mess up an M suspension with cheap springs. Especially the M division has tuned this car on the Ring. Just replacing the springs make the ride bouncy.
Thank you so much for the comment! I too have the full leather although black (carbon black exterior). I had a 2011 750 and probably agree that the refinement and quality level is on par mostly. The area which to me looks a little 'low rent' is the ashtray/cupholder area - pretty much looks like a 3 series. the 7 is much nicer as far as I recall.

I would love to know more about the 'mod' you described. Is there a sound clip somewhere for it? Can a mechanically ungifted person such as myself able to do this alone?

I won't mess with the suspension but am wondering if our suspension is a combination of springs and air, as I suspect.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:17 AM   #4
dr.waxman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

MY ONLY gripe is that I wish there was > 1 USB port; one for connected drive device and another for iPod etc. Otherwise, fantastic car inside and out, full merino leather with minimal plastic (!) and all.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 12:17 AM   #5
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryshi View Post
Hi folks,
Coming back to BMW as my main car (we also have a 3 hybrid) after 2 years (2013 M5 was last one). Drove 2010 S63 but it was starting to fall apart on me so it was time for a change.

This is an incredible car, no doubt. However, I am a little disappointed with a couple of things:

- Sound: Not a potent sounding as the last generation X5M into. Is there a solution to this?

- Luxury: Coming from an S63, this is my biggest gripe... no active cruise and noticeably cheaper plastics more on par with our 3 series.

- Performance: Quite unbelievable actually. More impressive than my last M5..
-Seats: I can't get used to the seating position. Perhaps it's because it's my first SUV and I am not used to sitting position. The steering wheel doesn't come down low enough for me so I need to bring the seat way up...

By the way how hard is it to lower this car by about 1 inch?
That's about it - Feedback welcome
Did you consider a W222 S63? What problems were you having with your 2010?

I have a build and production slot for a MY 2016 S63, which I was planning to finalize next month when the final model details are released. However, since I did that, I've become enamored with the F85 and am leaning towards the BMW over the AMG. Would love to hear more of your impressions of the differences between the two builds.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
oryshi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
Did you consider a W222 S63? What problems were you having with your 2010?

I have a build and production slot for a MY 2016 S63, which I was planning to finalize next month when the final model details are released. However, since I did that, I've become enamored with the F85 and am leaning towards the BMW over the AMG. Would love to hear more of your impressions of the differences between the two builds.
Wow, first they are obviously in two different price realms. I have never driven the new S63 in fear that I would fall in love. I am not willing to spend 160K+ on a car unless leased and leases on MB AMG aren't making sense in terms of value compared to BMW. I looked into leasing an E63 wagon and it was pushing 2K per month. For a car under 120k that is obscene.

In any case, the S63 I had was a 2010. it was starting to feel tired. It was literally falling apart mechanically. Not really engine issues but everything else was starting to fail. Granted I was at 75K miles (I owned it) but still it started to scare me. It was indeed a supremely comfortable car like no other I have ever owned. But, MB just don't have the dynamics the BMWs have. It's a different philosophy altogether. I find the X5M fascinating to drive. It's a paradoxical car. It is very engaging to drive. The steering is super precise and connected. The engine sound is there. it isn't so quite. It doesn't have active cruise but I don't care. the distronic was one of my favorite features in the S63 and I now realize I was in a driver's coma. It has double glass windows. It's is super quite in there. Maybe the 222 is more engaging? I am not sure. The presence of the X5M, especially in carbon black which I have is undeniable. It's a gigantic car and super masculine. I feel like an action hero driving it. I now love the seating position and the ride hight. It's luxurious enough and would feel even more so if I had a non black interior. I hope this helps. Ultimately, it's down to how each car makes you feel and what your personal needs are. I am an avid mountain biker and love that I can throw my bike in the back with no problems. The S63 is super sedan with great street cred. It's a different image altogether but I don't know if that plays in to your decision making.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryshi View Post
Wow, first they are obviously in two different price realms. I have never driven the new S63 in fear that I would fall in love. I am not willing to spend 160K+ on a car unless leased and leases on MB AMG aren't making sense in terms of value compared to BMW. I looked into leasing an E63 wagon and it was pushing 2K per month. For a car under 120k that is obscene.

In any case, the S63 I had was a 2010. it was starting to feel tired. It was literally falling apart mechanically. Not really engine issues but everything else was starting to fail. Granted I was at 75K miles (I owned it) but still it started to scare me. It was indeed a supremely comfortable car like no other I have ever owned. But, MB just don't have the dynamics the BMWs have. It's a different philosophy altogether. I find the X5M fascinating to drive. It's a paradoxical car. It is very engaging to drive. The steering is super precise and connected. The engine sound is there. it isn't so quite. It doesn't have active cruise but I don't care. the distronic was one of my favorite features in the S63 and I now realize I was in a driver's coma. It has double glass windows. It's is super quite in there. Maybe the 222 is more engaging? I am not sure. The presence of the X5M, especially in carbon black which I have is undeniable. It's a gigantic car and super masculine. I feel like an action hero driving it. I now love the seating position and the ride hight. It's luxurious enough and would feel even more so if I had a non black interior. I hope this helps. Ultimately, it's down to how each car makes you feel and what your personal needs are. I am an avid mountain biker and love that I can throw my bike in the back with no problems. The S63 is super sedan with great street cred. It's a different image altogether but I don't know if that plays in to your decision making.
Totally different price realms, but that's the beauty. The difference between my S63 build and the X5M is roughly $60K. That's huge. But the performance difference is slight to negligible. I'm enamored with the X5M for that reason.

I think the X5M is phenomenal. It looks aggressive. It handles and performs. And when I get to test drive one this week (which will be the test), I'm sure it will be fun to drive.

Will it be as luxurious? No. But that's not what it's supposed to be. And I appreciate it for that.

But this forum helps. And your response helps a lot. It brings me closer to pulling the trigger and knowing that I've done the analysis. Thanks.

Marc

I see you're in LA. Where do you ride? I lived in Santa Monica and took my road bike from Malibu down to Redondo. Good times.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 06:37 PM   #8
oryshi
Private First Class
Rep

I would say that it is luxurious. But the S class is 100K+ car, with its top models (s63/S65/S600) competing directly with Bentley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
Totally different price realms, but that's the beauty. The difference between my S63 build and the X5M is roughly $60K. That's huge. But the performance difference is slight to negligible. I'm enamored with the X5M for that reason.

I think the X5M is phenomenal. It looks aggressive. It handles and performs. And when I get to test drive one this week (which will be the test), I'm sure it will be fun to drive.

Will it be as luxurious? No. But that's not what it's supposed to be. And I appreciate it for that.

But this forum helps. And your response helps a lot. It brings me closer to pulling the trigger and knowing that I've done the analysis. Thanks.

Marc

I see you're in LA. Where do you ride? I lived in Santa Monica and took my road bike from Malibu down to Redondo. Good times.
Appreciate 0