BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-31-2019, 10:53 PM   #551
sam01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufington View Post
Interesting. I have no drone. I'd hate it if I had it. Maybe the X-pipe is the section that cancels the drone on mine.
Yeah I'm not sure why you didn't get drone and I did. I have the x as well. I took the photos you posted and had the shop duplicate the locations of everything as well. I did use mandrel bends on mine and used the OEM tips. Those are the only differences I can think of.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:57 PM   #552
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam01 View Post
Yeah I'm not sure why you didn't get drone and I did. I have the x as well. I took the photos you posted and had the shop duplicate the locations of everything as well. I did use mandrel bends on mine and used the OEM tips. Those are the only differences I can think of.
Mysterious. I think adding the Vibrant ultra quiet resonators would somehow solve your issue, but I think the exhaust sound level would also be very low.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 02:12 AM   #553
JuanF30
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i, BMW F15 50i

How can a get a louder exhaust sound but without drone, Sir?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #554
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
Interesting. I have no drone. I'd hate it if I had it. Maybe the X-pipe is the section that cancels the drone on mine.
Honestly, most of these Xpipes are a tad different. The smallest difference in Xpipe or piping from the cutoff muffler could make the difference.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #555
hufington
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Honestly, most of these Xpipes are a tad different. The smallest difference in Xpipe or piping from the cutoff muffler could make the difference.
I was thinking that. Also the tune may also be a contributing factor.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #556
sam01
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking that. Also the tune may also be a contributing factor.
I have the same x pipe so that shouldn't be it. But I do have the mandrel bend sections instead of crush bends for the resonators.

You have a tune on yours? Mine isn't tuned.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:54 PM   #557
hufington
Major
Rep

Garage List
I have stage 1 tune on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #558
sam01
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have stage 1 tune on it.
Even more reason to get the tune now.

Though I do have to resolve a stumbling issue I am currently dealing with first. Trying to get forum input right now on a different thread - hopefully it gets sorted out so I can attempt to get rid of the drone by tuning it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #559
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:

Though I do have to resolve a stumbling issue I am currently dealing with first. Trying to get forum input right now on a different thread - hopefully it gets sorted out so I can attempt to get rid of the drone by tuning it.
I have stage 1 also but I have the drone so I don't know that that will fix it. But it will make it easier to get out of that rev range!
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #560
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Quote:

I have stage 1 also but I have the drone so I don't know that that will fix it. But it will make it easier to get out of that rev range!
Damn the drone.. now I'm scared to delete
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:41 AM   #561
Psychoticgroove
Builderbloke
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M LBB

Hello all, I've been lurking on this thread for a while and finally got around to doing this mod! Before I go further, a huge thanks to all the fellas, pioneers, guinea pigs, beta testers, etc on this thread who have honed the specifics of this mod...
I know this thread is old and has been mined recently, so I thought i'll join in with my first post...
I did the mod as detailed, add 2.5' x-pipe, delete rear muffler and replace with 2.5' mandrel bent pipes (I went with Lieutenant Hufington's advice and installed 12' hot dog resonators to each mandrel bent pipe prior to the outlet). Even provided the exhaust bloke with the mark up sketch done by DUSH, however the bloke clearly didn't pay attention and when I rocked up to pick up the car, he had removed the middle resonators as well!
I was like WTF dude, i told you what I wanted done! He then asked me to come back the next day so that he could fit the resonators back in. So I drove around with excessive drone (WOT sounded fantatstic, slowing down to lights with pop and crackling heavenly!) around for a day, dreaming how by the next day, I'd have this sick a$$ sound but without the drone...
Anyhow, so I went back today and he did what he had to do in reinstating the resonators.... and whilst it definitely sounds heaps better, there is still drone in the 1100 to 1400 rpm range in comfort mode, especially when lightly under load in a higher gear.... Sport mode is much better but under moderate load of acceleration, the shifting between gears drones bad.... So I jump under the car to have a look and the bloke's fitted the x-pipe immediately after the middle resonators instead of between the central clips holding the straight pipes (about 500mm away as per DUSH's sketch)...
I go back in school pick-up traffic to the exhaust shop and say, 'mate, do you know your a$$ from your head? The X-pipe is not where it's meant to be and the end result is drone!'
He replied that it wouldn't make any difference where the x-pipe was that if its droning now, it'd still drone even if he relocated to the originally desired spot. I have asked him to relocate the X-pipe to the centre which is now going to occur next Wednesday, however don't wish to waste my time going back to that knob if that is not going to yield the result I was expecting...
Does the x=pipe location play a role in the drone? Should I opt for a resonated xpipe perhaps?
Any thoughts would be welcome and greatly appreciated...
BTW, I come from a Jeep SRT with Borla exhaust which had a mild drone when the mds kicked in, so my expectations of minimal drone are not unreasonable...

P.S. Sorry for the long winded first post, I'm loving the 50i and was so looking forward to the result of this mod, but the darn drone has made me grumpy...
Appreciate 1
HomeIn2326.00
      09-08-2019, 03:20 AM   #562
mhudgensx6
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmx x6 2016 50i

Thumbs up Update

Been running the xpipe setup with quad tips on my x6 for about a month now. If anyone is contemplating this set up, i'm here to tell you that you're missing out. I enjoy driving this beast a MILLION times more, than before.

Going back next week to get bigger tips installed. Currently deciding which tune to go with at the moment. I am between BM3 and DMEtuning.

Links in case anyone else was curious and also looking at tunes.

DME: https://dmetuning.com/

BM3: https://www.protuningfreaks.com/prod...=7262038949923

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #563
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoticgroove View Post
Hello all, I've been lurking on this thread for a while and finally got around to doing this mod! Before I go further, a huge thanks to all the fellas, pioneers, guinea pigs, beta testers, etc on this thread who have honed the specifics of this mod...
I know this thread is old and has been mined recently, so I thought i'll join in with my first post...
I did the mod as detailed, add 2.5' x-pipe, delete rear muffler and replace with 2.5' mandrel bent pipes (I went with Lieutenant Hufington's advice and installed 12' hot dog resonators to each mandrel bent pipe prior to the outlet). Even provided the exhaust bloke with the mark up sketch done by DUSH, however the bloke clearly didn't pay attention and when I rocked up to pick up the car, he had removed the middle resonators as well!
I was like WTF dude, i told you what I wanted done! He then asked me to come back the next day so that he could fit the resonators back in. So I drove around with excessive drone (WOT sounded fantatstic, slowing down to lights with pop and crackling heavenly!) around for a day, dreaming how by the next day, I'd have this sick a$$ sound but without the drone...
Anyhow, so I went back today and he did what he had to do in reinstating the resonators.... and whilst it definitely sounds heaps better, there is still drone in the 1100 to 1400 rpm range in comfort mode, especially when lightly under load in a higher gear.... Sport mode is much better but under moderate load of acceleration, the shifting between gears drones bad.... So I jump under the car to have a look and the bloke's fitted the x-pipe immediately after the middle resonators instead of between the central clips holding the straight pipes (about 500mm away as per DUSH's sketch)...
I go back in school pick-up traffic to the exhaust shop and say, 'mate, do you know your a$$ from your head? The X-pipe is not where it's meant to be and the end result is drone!'
He replied that it wouldn't make any difference where the x-pipe was that if its droning now, it'd still drone even if he relocated to the originally desired spot. I have asked him to relocate the X-pipe to the centre which is now going to occur next Wednesday, however don't wish to waste my time going back to that knob if that is not going to yield the result I was expecting...
Does the x=pipe location play a role in the drone? Should I opt for a resonated xpipe perhaps?
BTW, I come from a Jeep SRT with Borla exhaust which had a mild drone when the mds kicked in, so my expectations of minimal drone are not unreasonable...

P.S. Sorry for the long winded first post, I'm loving the 50i and was so looking forward to the result of this mod, but the darn drone has made me grumpy...
I see that you never got a reply. I haven't pulled the trigger so can't speak from experience, but I remember someone mentioning non resonating X pipes.

Did you ever get the X pipe relocated? Are you still grumpy? 😬
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #564
Psychoticgroove
Builderbloke
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoticgroove View Post

I see that you never got a reply. I haven't pulled the trigger so can't speak from experience, but I remember someone mentioning non resonating X pipes.

Did you ever get the X pipe relocated? Are you still grumpy?
Yeah I got the x pipe relocated to the centre and it made a significant difference to the drone and the depth of the drone. Whilst not totally gone, it's at quite an acceptable level now.
As long as you're expecting some minor drone, you won't be disappointed! I'd say go for it!
      09-21-2019, 08:06 PM   #565
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

Another Exhaust Thread... Sorry!

So I plan on doing a muffler delete but I have a feeling it might be a bit too loud for my liking. I plan on taking off muffler but replace it with an X-Pipe before it and maybe add a magnaflow or borla mufflers...

Two Options

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Borla-40364-B...omotive&sr=1-1

Has anyone done this setup on a 50i? I seen someone with an F16 and it looks really good!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #566
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I did my muffler delete today with x-pipe and two resonators. Same setup as Hufington. Sounds good but feel there is a slight drone from 1000-2000 RPM

Last edited by djrabbi; 09-24-2019 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 2
hufington3119.50
      09-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #567
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
With huge thanks to fellow forum members hufington , Russmov , BimmerTy and everyone else, I decided to jump in. Had her done today. Sounds just the way I wanted it to - really bassy and not snarl-y or overly loud. I'm thrilled!

Found a one-man shop by word-of-mouth and met with the owner/fabricator. I brought the parts. Sent him here to this thread to get an idea of how it can be done, with links to the under-car images you folks were so generous with. He took it from there and did a great job.
Attached Images

Last edited by pennsiveguy; 09-24-2019 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
Russmov1328.00
hufington3119.50
      09-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #568
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's a video of it idling. Didn't get a chance to rev it - too busy in the garage this time of night.
      09-24-2019, 10:19 PM   #569
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Looks great! Any plan on painting tips or going with the chrome aesthetic? Which tips did you end up going with?
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #570
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Looks great! Any plan on painting tips or going with the chrome aesthetic? Which tips did you end up going with?
Thanks so much for your help, and I'm glad you like it.

These are the tips I used. I'm leaving them chrome, to match the 'X5' badge and the roundel on the back gate.
      09-24-2019, 11:51 PM   #571
hufington
Major
Rep

Garage List
Looks and sounds great.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #572
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
With huge thanks to fellow forum members hufington , Russmov , BimmerTy and everyone else, I decided to jump in. Had her done today. Sounds just the way I wanted it to - really bassy and not snarl-y or overly loud. I'm thrilled!

Found a one-man shop by word-of-mouth and met with the owner/fabricator. I brought the parts. Sent him here to this thread to get an idea of how it can be done, with links to the under-car images you folks were so generous with. He took it from there and did a great job.
Looks good man! My exhaust did a hack up job but he fucked up the tips so going to tell him to fix it lol

Are those 3.5" tips? I was planning on doing oem black tips but didn't work out. Just going to do quad tips. The vibrant resonators I got is causing a slight drone so might go for the vibrant ultra quiet resonators
Appreciate 1