BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

BMWs willful ignorance concerning M brake pads

Willful ignorance = Neglect.
A decision in bad faith to avoid becoming informed about something so as to avoid having to make undesirable decisions that such information might prompt.
And when it comes to lawsuits. Neglect or failure to act can be unfavorable to a company.

BMW is knowingly selling $100k luxury cars with faulty brake pads that constantly squeal and refuses to do something about it let alone acknowledge the problem exist at all. Owners should not be inconvenienced by nor embarrassed by the constant squealing of faulty brake pads. Nor should we have to remedy the problem by out of pocket aftermarket options that barely exist. BMW. Please do not blame the exoticness of the car or the driver. They should be a full on recall to fix this.

I suppose anyone with is issue to record the problem. Post it on social media outlets. @ BMW . # the sht out of it. Hopefully something comes out of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fUNHb9O52WQ

https://www.thedrive.com/watch-this/...ade-this-video

https://jalopnik.com/porsche-please-...kes-1822648682

https://www.google.com/search?q=brem...=2000&bih=1005

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1535358
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      08-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
A decision in bad faith to avoid becoming informed about something so as to avoid having to make undesirable decisions that such information might prompt.
And when it comes to lawsuits. Neglect or failure to act can be unfavorable to a company.

BMW is knowingly selling $100k luxury cars with faulty brake pads that constantly squeal and refuses to do something about it let alone acknowledge the problem exist at all. Owners should not be inconvenienced by nor embarrassed by the constant squealing of faulty brake pads. Nor should we have to remedy the problem by out of pocket aftermarket options that barely exist. BMW. Please do not blame the exoticness of the car or the driver. They should be a full on recall to fix this.

I suppose anyone with is issue to record the problem. Post it on social media outlets. @ BMW . # the sht out of it. Hopefully something comes out of it.
They all squeal. Some more and some less. AMG does, Porsche does, Audi does. I was in a parking lot the other day and a 911 Turbo pulled in and squealed like crazy.

There are many factors to improve the squealing such as keeping the car clean and not let brake dust built up.

Trust me, it's annoying the hell out of me too. Mine is constantly squealing like a school bus and it's only quiet for a couple of days after a wash.
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7265.50
F85MTuNED1620.50
      08-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #4
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldpages View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post

They all squeal. Some more and some less. AMG does, Porsche does, Audi does. I was in a parking lot the other day and a 911 Turbo pulled in and squealed like crazy.

There are many factors to improve the squealing such as keeping the car clean and not let brake dust built up.

Trust me, it's annoying the hell out of me too. Mine is constantly squealing like a school bus and it's only quiet for a couple of days after a wash.
What he said...

And there's also a fix I have a thread with part numbers and there's plenty of threads on brakes all over the forum.
      08-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Has there been a class action lawsuit against BMW due to this known issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
GXTCHA
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Yeah my F80 M3 never made a sound in the 2.5 years I had it. I'm not buying the science.

Sold - 2016 F80 MG / Competition / Exec / DCT
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:56 PM   #7
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Both my e63 didn’t make a sound. My m4 doesn’t. My 997 Porsche didn’t. It’s just this chassis and any other that has the same brake system like the f10 m5

There is another post about a service bulletin about a possible fix
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 05:29 AM   #8
kbright1892
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Garage List
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
My S6 squealed just as bad. I'd love to say I got used to it, but you never get used to that noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Ferrari HQ instructions to Technicians to properly bed brakes to mitigate squealing from pads and customers:

Step 1
Brake 16 times from 50 to 20 MPH LIGHT-MEDIUM pedal pressure
Cycle time 10 seconds between brake applications
Drive 2+ miles to cool brakes
NOTE: cool down period is minimum - can be longer.

Step 2
Brake 16 times from 75 to 20 MPH MEDIUM pedal pressure
Cycle time 15 seconds between brake applications
Drive 2+ miles to cool brakes

Step 3
Brake 10 times from 80 to 20 MPH HEAVY pedal pressure
Cycle time 20 seconds between brake applications
Drive 2.5+ miles to cool brakes

Step 4
Brake 3 times from 60 to 0 MPH FULL ABS pedal pressure
Cycle time 10 seconds between brake applications
Drive 5+ miles to cool brakes

Inspect disks to ensure there is a good/consistent Coating of pad material on the disk surface. Eventually you will get the squeal again. It is inherent to almost all vehicles using this setup or similar.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:47 AM   #10
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Say what you will about our brakes. Complain about the squeal, complain about the amount of brake dust. Bottom line is our brakes work! A huge 8 point buck bolted out in front of me this morning. Thank God no one was behind me. I nailed the brakes and stopped no more than 8 inches away from nailing him. It would have been a nice broadside shot and wouldn't have been pretty. I'll take the squeal and the brake dust for stopping power.

Happy Monday!
ajob456.00
Blewx5m128.00
thezarb14.00
C320342.50
      08-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

BMWs willful ignorance concerning M brake pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Say what you will about our brakes. Complain about the squeal, complain about the amount of brake dust. Bottom line is our brakes work! A huge 8 point buck bolted out in front of me this morning. Thank God no one was behind me. I nailed the brakes and stopped no more than 8 inches away from nailing him. It would have been a nice broadside shot and wouldn't have been pretty. I'll take the squeal and the brake dust for stopping power.

Happy Monday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post

Happy Monday!
Yes! Agree 💯. My son was following me in my '16, mid day, here in CT, going 45-50, freaking deer bolts in between our cars....I saw in in slow motion and wondered how bad the damage would be (oh, and hoped my son would be ok as well )...and the car stopped near immediately with a foot or two to spare.

Squeak on Brembo!
Appreciate 3
iconoclast7265.50
cmyx6go15696.50
      08-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #12
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
I've had plenty of brembos both oem and aftermarket and never had a squeal consistency as y'all talk about. I'm sorry but NO this is not ok or "normal". It can be mitigated by a better design. Hell the oem pats aren't even chamfered. This is 2019 and a road car. Chamfer the pads from the start. Don't wait to have a sib about it like it's some new thing.

Agree with OP 100%
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0