08-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
FamilyMan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35i

RaceChip GTS Black (my impressions)

Hey everyone,

I know this topic has been talked about quite a bit. I wanted to post my experience after installing RC GTS.

But first... I wanted to thank a bunch of people who have generously shared their knowledge and experiences over the years. Without this forum and awesome members like these dudes, I'm sure I wouldn't have spent ~$10k in aftermarket stuff on my X5!!

Violator
Kzang
pdawg
opasha
42pilot

And of course, gotta say thanks to r33_RGSport. As everyone here knows, Ben is not just a "vendor." He loves his cars and is extremely helpful with any questions and truly loves helping us enjoy the cars we love!

This post is not a DIY or a full blown review. There's plenty of that on the forum already. Instead, I wanted to share where I'm coming from and hopefully it helps those of you who are in the same boat.

Couple things... I have a '16 X5 35i M Sport, bought the car new and had MPPK installed at delivery (so I can't really comment on the performance feeling of a stock X5). I have a short commute and usually keep it in Comfort mode. As my name suggests, being a family man, well... I got the 3rd row seats and I have 3 kids and a dog. So, while I'd love to have an E46 M3, I have to get the most pleasure I can from a family hauler.

My X5 will be 4 years old next month and has just over 55k miles. This is my daily driver and I plan to keep the car for a long time (north of 150k miles). I was always intrigued by the power delivery of RaceChip setup as a piggyback to MPPK, but I never really got around to pulling the trigger until a couple months ago.

I had it installed in May and at the first start up it sounded different (I have the MPE and so it was already pretty darn cool). Over time it continued to "learn" and seemed to get stronger. On my normal commute it doesn't really seem too different, but when I put in Sport mode and Sport transmission and then get it above 4k rpms.... well, it's pretty amazing!! I got it out on some open roads and at WOT it pulls hard and gives you every last bit of torque before shifting to the next gear. It's pretty freakin' amazing that you get so much from a simple boost in psi??!!

Now, it's been about 4k miles since I got it installed and I've had a couple CEL that cleared themselves. I'm sure it's due for spark plugs so I'll get that done in a few weeks.

Last thought.... is it faster? If so how much? I will get a dyno test done after the spark plugs and report back to you guys.... but remember this, dyno numbers only validate what the seat of your pants already tells you. Also, while you need some type of validation above conjecture/feelings.... Most of us are enthusiasts and love the drive. If you already spent money on the MPPK, then the RC is a no brainer!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Violator4587.50
hufington3120.50
Russmov1328.00
F15GorDe261.00
r33_RGSport12967.50
      08-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi BMW X5 F15 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing your experience. Was it difficult getting to the 3rd (cam) connector? What tool did you use to pry the tab?
      08-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
Hey everyone,

I know this topic has been talked about quite a bit. I wanted to post my experience after installing RC GTS.

But first... I wanted to thank a bunch of people who have generously shared their knowledge and experiences over the years. Without this forum and awesome members like these dudes, I'm sure I wouldn't have spent ~$10k in aftermarket stuff on my X5!!

Violator
Kzang
pdawg
opasha
42pilot

And of course, gotta say thanks to r33_RGSport. As everyone here knows, Ben is not just a "vendor." He loves his cars and is extremely helpful with any questions and truly loves helping us enjoy the cars we love!

This post is not a DIY or a full blown review. There's plenty of that on the forum already. Instead, I wanted to share where I'm coming from and hopefully it helps those of you who are in the same boat.

Couple things... I have a '16 X5 35i M Sport, bought the car new and had MPPK installed at delivery (so I can't really comment on the performance feeling of a stock X5). I have a short commute and usually keep it in Comfort mode. As my name suggests, being a family man, well... I got the 3rd row seats and I have 3 kids and a dog. So, while I'd love to have an E46 M3, I have to get the most pleasure I can from a family hauler.

My X5 will be 4 years old next month and has just over 55k miles. This is my daily driver and I plan to keep the car for a long time (north of 150k miles). I was always intrigued by the power delivery of RaceChip setup as a piggyback to MPPK, but I never really got around to pulling the trigger until a couple months ago.

I had it installed in May and at the first start up it sounded different (I have the MPE and so it was already pretty darn cool). Over time it continued to "learn" and seemed to get stronger. On my normal commute it doesn't really seem too different, but when I put in Sport mode and Sport transmission and then get it above 4k rpms.... well, it's pretty amazing!! I got it out on some open roads and at WOT it pulls hard and gives you every last bit of torque before shifting to the next gear. It's pretty freakin' amazing that you get so much from a simple boost in psi??!!

Now, it's been about 4k miles since I got it installed and I've had a couple CEL that cleared themselves. I'm sure it's due for spark plugs so I'll get that done in a few weeks.

Last thought.... is it faster? If so how much? I will get a dyno test done after the spark plugs and report back to you guys.... but remember this, dyno numbers only validate what the seat of your pants already tells you. Also, while you need some type of validation above conjecture/feelings.... Most of us are enthusiasts and love the drive. If you already spent money on the MPPK, then the RC is a no brainer!!
Awesome, glad that you’re enjoying it! Next up, RC XLR! You really can feel a difference in Sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogo View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. Was it difficult getting to the 3rd (cam) connector? What tool did you use to pry the tab?
There isn’t a tab on that one, just pushing it down/off is the difficult part. I posted some close-up pics of that sensor on one or two of the threads, I’ll see if I can find it.
      08-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

I got mine a few months ago from Ben. My car was so new, it only had 2100 or so miles on it. So I never really got to fully get used to the "before."

I can tell, even in comfort, where I do most of my driving, that there is def more HP there. When in Sport, it def feels like I think car like should feel like. I hear the turbo whine a lot more with the race chip.

I do have some small issues with the programming when in Sport. I have mine set at 6. When driving in Sport, if I put my foot in it then back off a little the transmission gets confused. I have also had a few instances where the transmission will not shift - meaning it stays in a gear way too long before shifting down. Like it can't make up its mind.

No codes or anything like that yet. But my car is still so new it should do that.

I will say - the other day I thought there was a problem as I came to a stop, and the car felt like it stumbled and shut off, then restarted. I was alarmed and thought it was the chip. I immediately looked at the revs and the instrument gauges and saw the Auto Start symbol.

I did not realize my car had stop/start. So I had to use the onboard manual and found the "button" for it is part of the on/off switch. I hit it by accident. Its is the most well-hidden button of all time.

Made me laugh.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      08-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

FamilyMan Thank you for the shoutout. Glad that I can help fellow car enthusiasts.

eldogo , It is easier if you remove the front cross bar on top of the radiator. Gives you more room.

parkstr8 , Did I code 2TB (Sport Auto) on your car? If not, we should do that next visit.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ben, I am not sure. We can when I'm there to have my knee pads installed.

parkstr8 , Did I code 2TB (Sport Auto) on your car? If not, we should do that next visit.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #7
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Thanks for the shoutout FamilyMan, Looking forward to the results on the dyno to see what the new Racechip does to the power.

parkstr8 one of cons I noticed with my older version of RCU was the jerkiness I got when I drove aggressively. I did a comparo between RCU and MPPK and one of the first thing I noticed was how buttery smooth MPPK was during shifts.

I don't have experiences with the new Racechip GTS so my comment is sort of invalid
r33_RGSport12967.50
      08-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Hey, whats does the 2TB (Sport Auto) do?

parkstr8 , Did I code 2TB (Sport Auto) on your car? If not, we should do that next visit.[/QUOTE]
      08-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Msport lines have the sports auto transmission, which allows more aggressive and different shift points for a sportier experience. Apparently this can be coded with any other lines.
      08-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Quote:
Msport lines have the sports auto transmission, which allows more aggressive and different shift points for a sportier experience. Apparently this can be coded with any other lines.
Oh ok, that sounds cool. Let us know how that feels.
      08-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not sure how but I did not know this!

thanks...and will def do a before and after review when Ben does mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      08-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #12
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I had the RC GTS for 3-4 weeks now and ive noticed that it kicks in at third gear. Does yours do the same? do you feel its power off the line?
      08-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #13
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

FYI - Ben confirmed my X5 has the Msport transmission. So no additional coding needed. I have a gremlin of a car as it was one of the last built...so they threw random stuff in it.

My car is so different between Comfort and Sport.
Appreciate 0