BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2021, 09:37 PM   #1
darkknight43
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Exclamation X5M Charge Air Corrosion Issues

I just purchased a 2016 X5M in March with 26k miles. Bought from a very reputable BMW dealer and also purchased an extended warranty.

About one month and only 1500 miles on the vehicle since purchase, I noticed fluid leaking from the cap of my charge air expansion tank and a puddle under the vehicle when not driven. (clear oily liquid) Took to a BMW dealer where the vehicle was not purchased who advised me the coolant was bad, and recommended a flush along with a new cap which was done.

2 weeks later took back the vehicle for the same issue. This time diagnosed as corrosion in the low temp cooling circuit. Must replace both intercoolers along with radiator and expansion tank, flush cooling system and total bill $4500. Was told extended warranty does not cover because of "corrosion". I did not believe this as the car only had 26k miles and was in excellent condition.

Took back to the original dealer were I purchased the vehicle who diagnosed the same issue.($4500 bill as well)

I am currently negotiating with dealer to fit the bill for repair as this appears to be a known issue with these motors. I see there is a BMW service bulletin SB B17 06 17 put out in 19 for this exact issue but only covers newer models.

Chime in if there are any known bulletins covering the S63T motors or any owners experiencing the same issues? Love to hear your thoughts

Last edited by darkknight43; 07-26-2021 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Title Change
Appreciate 0