BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #1
DLM155
Rep
Drives: 17 Black/Black X5M

Still Getting Acquainted and Have a Few Questions

Hey Everyone,

I've had my beast for about a year now (absolutely love it) and have a few things I can't figure out and was hoping the community might be able to help.

1. Cluth Burn? It seems like if I downshift at highway speeds (60-80mph) I can smell something similar to clutch burn. These aren't super hard downshifts, just dropping a few gears and giving it a little gas. The smell isn't overly pungent, and someone who has never driven a true manual probably wouldn't notice. Any thoughts would be helpful.

2. Apple Car Play Not Loading. On a few occasions, I'll get into the car and the car play arrow will pop up on the side, but if I click it or turn the iDrive to it, it just won't do anything. Doesn't happen a lot, but I was wondering if anyone else had any luck getting to work without turning off the car (my usual solution that gets the job done). It happens more often if I turn off the car, but stay in it or close by (i.e. getting gas).

3. How to open the sunroof with one click. Not a big deal, but is there a way to make the sunroof go all the way back without having to push the button twice?

4. Lastly, how to get the bird's eye view without the parking sensors being activated? There are a few times I could use the surround view, but don't know what button to press to turn it on manually as I'm approaching a spot.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 12:05 AM   #2
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

I have that clutch smell sometimes as well. But i recently had water pump failure and coolant burnt smelled similiar. So i am wondering my shaft was leaking alittle bit before on high rpms and that was causing the issue before it gone really bad? I will see after the pump replacement if i get any and let you know!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 03:55 AM   #3
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
Hard to say what the odd smell is, however I'm fairly certain it's not the clutch since our cars don't have them.

Our cars were built with the ZF M8HP75 eight-speed automatic transmission.
This came as a shock to me coming from a F10 M5 that has the Getrag GS7D36BG M DCT.

I had no idea and couldn't tell the difference in shifts or function.
Only realized this when doing some research on how much power our transmissions could handle.

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

On CarPlay, make sure you are on the latest version of iDrive software. I had similar issues a few years back, but once software was up to date, it all started working like normal.
Appreciate 0