BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-06-2015, 06:19 AM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Ball for BMW Dive Watch

So who doesn't like a dive watch? As sport watches go, they are easily the most popular ones. They've been etched into the awareness of just about anyone who's "into" watches by the likes of the Rolex Submariner, scores of Seiko divers, the Omega Seamaster, the "counter-culture" appeal of surfing and so on.

Well, Ball now offers a Ball for BMW dive watch. It's called Timetrekker. (http://www.ballwatch.com/bmw/index.p...ons&lang=en_US)

Now what I think makes it a better pick than the other Ball for BMW watches is that is the BMW logo. This time round, it's small and discrete, but more importantly, it doesn't interfere with the dial's aesthetics as does the BMW logo on the Classic collection of models. Of course there are other Ball for BMW models that have the small logo on them, but they are complicated watches and I personally prefer uncomplicated watches.

Ball for BMW GMT

Ball for BMW Classic (available with a white dial also)

And, of course, there's the mechanical thermometer one, the TMT, which is a limited edition piece. (http://bridgeandbarrel.com/hands-on-...mited-edition/ and http://thewatchlounge.com/ball-bmw-t...-lover-in-you/)

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #2
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Maybe too close in a appearance to IWC.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

i would like the top one without the roundel.. otherwise, i think they're nice looking
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
phidailo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Future F80

Top one looks nice and classy.

I have a Ball TMT limited edition similar to the one pictured. It's great but the dial may appear busy to some people.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidailo View Post
Top one looks nice and classy.

I have a Ball TMT limited edition similar to the one pictured. It's great but the dial may appear busy to some people.
I saw hints of Aquatimer too. The thing is that those hints are more imagined than real, but I can't deny that got initially got an IWC vibe from the watch. The Aquatimer has an internal dive bezel.

The ones with an external bezel are just too different to see them as similar.

I thought I saw glimmers of Supermarine too. And again, it was more just a vibe -- from some as yet unidentifiable trait(s) -- than it was any sense that the two deliberately resemble each other more so than all dive watches with bezels do.

That said, it's a wonderful watch on it's own, despite any visual association, and it's a bit more accessibly priced. Given that each of them is ETA/ETA-derivative powered, I don't mind the similarity. Plus, it's a touch dressier looking than the IWC or Bremont external-bezel divers, which probably isn't a bad thing for a watch that'll in all likelihood will see duty as nothing but a desk diver.

All the best.

PS/Edit:
Looking at the two again, perhaps it's the bracelet, although I can't be sure. That basic style of bracelet appears in various forms on several nice watches, among them the PP Nautilus/Aquanaut and the VC Overseas.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I like the second with blue face. What's pricing like?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I like the second with blue face. What's pricing like?
I don't know specifically. I imagine it will be consistent with the rest of the line.
-- http://littletreasury.com/store/swis....html?limit=48
-- http://www.exquisitetimepieces.com/c...l+for+BMW.html

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Ouch was thinking ball was in the sweet spot around 1k for some reason. Nevermind.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Ouch was thinking ball was in the sweet spot around 1k for some reason. Nevermind.
Some Ball watches can be had in the low $1000 range if one buys from a discounter. I have yet to see the Ball for BMW watches appear at a discounter, but even if they do, I would expect them to fall in the $2K-$4K range, depending on the model.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 11:56 PM   #10
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Looked at Ball watches a while back but passed on them as I'd rather have an Omega for about the same price range. Great history on them.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 12:48 AM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Seems strange their aren't Lume tubes at the 5 6 and 7 position on the timetrekker. Like that extra luminosity, have them on my luminox.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 02:56 AM   #12
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

$4k for a Ball, no thanks. I'd definitely get an IWC at that point and it looks better, even an Omega. Besides a watch with the BMW logo will likely have bad resale or not hold value, like all other car type watches, except in the situation it's some die hard fan who loves everything of that brand.

You may find some here, play with the search feature:
http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=ball+bmw
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #13
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
$4k for a Ball, no thanks. I'd definitely get an IWC at that point and it looks better, even an Omega. Besides a watch with the BMW logo will likely have bad resale or not hold value, like all other car type watches, except in the situation it's some die hard fan who loves everything of that brand.

You may find some here, play with the search feature:
http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=ball+bmw
One can certainly buy these IWC watches for about the same price as the Ball for BMW watches. Available from GMSes, they will be ~$3.7K and $4.1K, respectively, but few will be able to get either at that price from an AD, whereas the Ball for BMW won't be available BNIB anywhere but at an AD, so a price comparison isn't exactly "apples to apples."

Now, I happen to think an IWC Aquatimer is a better timekeeping machine than is the Ball for BMW (BBMW) watch, but that's beside the point. The B4BMW watches don't exist to be the best watch money can buy, or even a better watch than an IWC or some other maker's watch. They exist to give consumers, specifically BMW enthusiasts, a BMW-themed watch that is indeed a high-quality, mechanical watch. The BBMW watches are indeed that, and they aren't really trying to compete with an IWC Aquatimer.

As a BMW enthusiast seeking a BMW-themed watch, one has two choices: the quartz watches made by Tourneau for BMW or the BBMW watches. If one is merely looking for a good watch, and the BMW-theme isn't a key factor, then by all means, one has literally thousands of watches from which to choose.

The target customer for the BBMW watches is the person who doesn't have an issue with ~$3.5K - $7K for a novelty watch. If the prospect of spending that much to obtain the novelty of the BMW themed watch bothers one, one just simply isn't part of the target market. If one thinks, "Oh, cool. I like that watch and having the BMW roundel on it makes it a fun watch to wear when I drive my BMW car to a BMW event/gathering, and wear/display my other BMW themed "stuff," one might be part of the target market. For such consumers/enthusiasts, whether the watch is a better or worse product than a comparably priced watch isn't the point.

I don't know if you've looked at the BMW Lifestyle catalog, so perhaps you aren't aware of the wealth of stuff that BMW and its fashion industry partners have concocted and onto which they've stuck a BMW roundel. Watches aren't even the tip of the proverbial iceberg. (http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PDF/4156BM...-14_M2A_LO.pdf) I can't imagine that anyone buys any of that stuff for any reason other than that they think it nifty to have "whatever" item with a BMW roundel on it. Whether there are higher grade items available elsewhere, again, isn't the point.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 06:28 AM   #14
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
The target customer for the BBMW watches is the person who doesn't have an issue with ~$3.5K - $7K for a novelty watch. If the prospect of spending that much to obtain the novelty of the BMW themed watch bothers one, one just simply isn't part of the target market. If one thinks, "Oh, cool. I like that watch and having the BMW roundel on it makes it a fun watch to wear when I drive my BMW car to a BMW event/gathering, and wear/display my other BMW themed "stuff," one might be part of the target market. For such consumers/enthusiasts, whether the watch is a better or worse product than a comparably priced watch isn't the point.

I don't know if you've looked at the BMW Lifestyle catalog, so perhaps you aren't aware of the wealth of stuff that BMW and its fashion industry partners have concocted and onto which they've stuck a BMW roundel. Watches aren't even the tip of the proverbial iceberg. (http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PDF/4156BM...-14_M2A_LO.pdf) I can't imagine that anyone buys any of that stuff for any reason other than that they think it nifty to have "whatever" item with a BMW roundel on it. Whether there are higher grade items available elsewhere, again, isn't the point.

All the best.
Thank you for the response. I now understand a little more the appeal this watch may have and it makes sense. Of the watches I've seen with car names on it, this one is the one done in the best taste and the only one I would even consider putting on my wrist. Most of the others are just marketing abominations.

I do not consider myself a BMW lifestyle enthusiast but I do find this watch attractive. If there were a chance that I'd be interested in a watch with BMW legitimately on the dial this would be it. Ball has a great and respectable history in watchmaking and BMW in the automotive world, a great union.

I think I'd still take the IWC but in the context in which one shops for this watch, the IWC would likely never be cross shopped.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #15
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Thank you for the response. I now understand a little more the appeal this watch may have and it makes sense. Of the watches I've seen with car names on it, this one is the one done in the best taste and the only one I would even consider putting on my wrist. Most of the others are just marketing abominations.

I do not consider myself a BMW lifestyle enthusiast but I do find this watch attractive. If there were a chance that I'd be interested in a watch with BMW legitimately on the dial this would be it. Ball has a great and respectable history in watchmaking and BMW in the automotive world, a great union.

I think I'd still take the IWC but in the context in which one shops for this watch, the IWC would likely never be cross shopped.
YW.

Exactly.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #16
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

In addition to the BBMW watches, there is also a Girard-Perregaux BMW Oracle Racing team watch. It was made with several designs, a few of which are pictured below. You can read more about the partnership here: http://www.p178host.com/gpgallery/am...wtc_amcup.html .

(The partnership is actually about yachting, not car driving, but BMW manages to get their name on the dial, so, I've gone ahead and mentioned it.)

FWIW, there are some other car-watch partnerships that result in some very appealing watches.

Aston Martin-JLC is one such partnership. There are several models available just as there are several BBMW watches.

JLC-Aston Martin Hometime -- Dual timezone watch

JLC-Aston Martin Amvoc1-R Alarm Watch

The two watches above run between $10K and $12K, which isn't really out of line with similar watches JLC offer without the Aston Martin co-branding.

Besides the two above there are several others, one of which open the car doors and starts the vehicle (I can't recall if the latter is so or not.)

Here are a few more:

JLC-Aston Martin Vantage Reverso

JLC-Aston Martin Amvox2 Chronograph -- this is one that opens and starts an Aston Martin DBS and runs ~$35K. Interestingly (or sadly, depending on your POV), the watch case has as many parts as does the movement, 200. Why or what the hell they are I have no idea.

Valjoux, the folks who make/made the very famous and notewothy ETA/Valjoux 7750 chronograph movements make Audi's watches.

Breitling for Bentley Mark VI

Other Breitling for Bentley watches

Parmigani makes Bugati's watches. They are bit avant garde for my taste, but there's no way round the fact of their being truly haute horlogy pieces.

Lamborghini -- I don't know who makes the watches, but my understandign is that Lambo designs it. If I had to guess, I'd say Blancpain makes it.

Graham makes Mercedes watches. Considering that they don't use that wonky canteen crown for which Grahman is renowed, I think if I were jonesing for Graham, I might well opt for a Mercedes one. LOL (In fairness, I haven't looked at what Graham offer these days. They could very well over any number of things that don't have the canteen crown.)

Morgan went with Hublot as it's watch partner.

Porsche has a long history of making its own watches and that hasn't changed.

If all you wan to do is read about the history and legacy of cars and watches, there is even a book about just that (http://blogs.christies.com/longitude...-partnerships/). The book is titled Prestigious Watches & Cars – the exceptional partnership. The book has been reviewed by at least one critic: http://www.thewatchreviewsite.co.uk/...ful-collision/ . The book is available for sale here -- http://www.youscribe.com/catalogue/l...estige-2350976 -- and on that page, you can see some sample pages from the book.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #17
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Ball is surely at great watch brand and the connection to BMW is interesting.
I used to own a Ball Fireman, green numerals. Basic yes, but well priced too. Easy to read and a fine everyday watch.
However, if we are talking about 3-4K, then...I think that is quite steep for a Ball.

The last post here made me dig down into my watch box and pick up a watch I rarely use these days.
Now that we own a BMW, since last year, maybe I should start using this watch more.

Bought it in 2005 (or 2006 was it...), and this is the nearest relationship I have between our current branded car - and one of my hobbies.
Really, I actually forgot about the BMW thing with this watch, just thinking about the Oracle/boat connection.

Well, no BMW logo on this one, but at least some text saying "BMW"

Thanks, great thread
Bent

Last edited by BXdriver; 03-08-2015 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Typos and added text.
Appreciate 0