BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

12-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

In the age of server controlled clocks, what do you look for in a movement?

Is the allure of a fantastically built precision movement gone with the advent of modern communications? No this is not a new question, but I have not seen it discussed around here, at least for a while, unless i missed it.

There is no question that ponying up for an intricate multi-function movement still has it's place in the industry. And hopefully will for a long time. When you look at what some of them do, it's amazing that it can be done with nothing but weights, gears and tension. My appreciation for them is based around the simple fact that it's man made gearing, old tech done to "perfection". But with the fact that no mechanical movement will ever really tell better time than a device that is connected to a time/date server, what is the main attraction to a specific movement in the 21st century? What makes it worth the money? It's certainly not the accuracy. Are we just paying for brand names? How much would you say the movement actually plays a part in what you decide to purchase now? Leaving metal value out of the equation for a moment.

And if it's still just the good old fashioned, leave digital out of the equation outlook. How long does that last? Or in other words, how long does the dollar value keep up with a sub-par time teller, just because its manual, last?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

6MT vs automatic broooooo. I like the feel of winding my mechanical watch.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Touche
Appreciate 0