Dan.E46
E46Fanatics OG
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I am debating between the Sub, and Sea Dweller as well. I have tried the Sub on before but they had sold out so I tried the Sea Dweller...I had originally thought the Sea Dweller was too large, but it wasn't bad...I do like the cyclops on the Sub though...my eyes aren't as young as they used to be and it is nice to glance and see the date instead of staring.
Yeah, it's hard to find a Sub, they do seem to be much more popular. I also thought the Sea Dweller would be too big until I tried it on and it fit perfectly. I think I'm leaning towards the Sea Dweller because it is a cleaner look and slightly more 'exclusive' (for lack of a better word) compared to the Sub. At the end of the day, both are great watches and I don't think anyone could make a bad choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #68
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
Although it's a stretch, I've heard the Caribbean is a good spot to buy one new. St. Marteen, St. Thomas and Aruba.

I know you're on a budget, but you could make a vacation out of it.
Only if you know how to open it and verify it is legit. My coworker funds part of her vacations by getting others the knockoffs that are so plentiful down there (some are totally cheesy, but some are very well done 'homages' that would certainly fool me).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #69
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Only if you know how to open it and verify it is legit. My coworker funds part of her vacations by getting others the knockoffs that are so plentiful down there (some are totally cheesy, but some are very well done 'homages' that would certainly fool me).
yea i would not buy a watch outside the US mainland... Buying it from a reputable place in america just gave me the peace of mind. Even though cost me a premium i got a very solid time piece.
      01-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #70
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Yeah, from what I heard, they will even use authentic cases. I can't imagine you would ever be able to go back after the sale and try to claim they had a bogus mechanism, if not able to verify on the spot. Even for legit sellers, they must have a clause for this, or else the scammers would be swapping out good watches and then returning them, like the paypall scammers who scavenge parts and then demand refunds.

I'm with you on that - peace of mind and trusting who I deal with mean more to me than a few bucks, and no time to be double checking everything.
Appreciate 1
///Mongo272.50
      02-25-2017, 04:57 AM   #71
Dan.E46
E46Fanatics OG
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Howcome Subs tend to be more expensive than Sea Dwellers (not Deep Sea models)? They look almost identical.
Brand new I believe the Sea Dweller is more expensive. On the used market the prices are probably closer. I believe there is more demand for the submariner, thus higher prices in the used market. I do agree they are similar, I personally prefer the sea dweller.

As a reference, I went to a couple of Rolex dealers and they told me the same story, there is about a 2 year wait list for a new submariner and about a 1 year wait list for the sea dweller.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #72
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.E46 View Post
Brand new I believe the Sea Dweller is more expensive. On the used market the prices are probably closer. I believe there is more demand for the submariner, thus higher prices in the used market. I do agree they are similar, I personally prefer the sea dweller.

As a reference, I went to a couple of Rolex dealers and they told me the same story, there is about a 2 year wait list for a new submariner and about a 1 year wait list for the sea dweller.
The "wait list" timing isn't entirely true.

If you're a good customer at your AD, you can get a watch that's on the "wait list" MUCH sooner.

I have purchased four new Rolex's from my AD (plus various jewelry for the wife/family) and can get a Sub right now if I want it. The GMT BLNR is also hard to get, but they have three in the back room that they keep for special clients needs. If anyone walks-in off the street and asks for a GMT BLNR the response will be to put you on the "wait list."

I have my name in for a new Daytona. They have over 60 names on the list, but I should have one in a couple of months.
Appreciate 1
///Mongo272.50
      02-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #73
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post

If you're a good customer at your AD, you can get a watch that's on the "wait list" MUCH sooner.

I have purchased four new Rolex's from my AD (plus various jewelry for the wife/family) and can get a Sub right now if I want it. The GMT BLNR is also hard to get, but they have three in the back room that they keep for special clients needs. If anyone walks-in off the street and asks for a GMT BLNR the response will be to put you on the "wait list."

I have my name in for a new Daytona. They have over 60 names on the list, but I should have one in a couple of months.
I totally agree with this. Wait time is always way shorter than the 2 years mentioned everywhere. I got an SS Daytona 2 years ago after a 2 month wait. I got on the waiting list for the new version about 6 months ago and it should be coming soon.
I would not buy a 12,000 watch anywhere on line without the REAL 5 year Rolex warranty and peace of mind.
How are you going to know if every single piece of your new watch is original? open it up?
You are not paying more when you buy from a Rolex store. Actually you end up paying less.
Appreciate 1
///Mongo272.50
      03-01-2017, 11:58 PM   #74
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Go to the Rolex website and look for ADs. Start calling and you can save as much as 20% off the watches. Most weren't willing to discount that much but an AD in the Midwest was. Cashier check and done deal. Had it overnight.

Daytonas (no discount for the SS but you could get it for the gold), "sporty" watches like the Submariner are harder to get good discounts but it never hurts to ask. You only need one AD to say yes.

Last edited by hongsc; 03-07-2017 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #75
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post

Have you been to Govberg? Got my IWC from them. I should check them for their Daytona list...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #76
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Have you been to Govberg? Got my IWC from them. I should check them for their Daytona list...
Yes, I've been to Govberg.

IWC's are sweet! I've always liked them.

Go ahead and put your name on a list. There's no harm in trying. I can't imagine how many people Govberg has on it already.

I pretty sure that every "list" is going to go by who you know at the store. Like I said, there are quite a few on the list at my AD and I will get one before most of them will.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #77
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004265
Appreciate 0