12-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #67
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989baby View Post
there are times I wish I had a gun in my car, even without bullets. just to scare off tailgaters and fast and furious racers that don't stop revving and shit
Sounds tempting but dangerous... Never know who might also have a gun in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
My dad (who lives in New York does the same thing) he has one of my old aluminum bats from when i was younger and he put nails lined up vertically around the bat with duct tape.

This way when he hits someone the side of the head of the nail will hurt them but not pierce them since they arent horizontally lined up and not sticking out
That nailed bat sounds illegal as hell to have. Can't imagine it being fun trying to explain that one to the cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
I have a Glock 30 SF. Packed with .45 high performance jacket hollow points filled with incendiary gelatin for defensive use. When the bullets hit the unfortunate victim, the gelatin becomes hotter than the sun. I also have Night sights and the clip draw so I can carry without a holster.

That sounds so cool....

I own several businesses, and nowadays you can't be too safe. I shoot every week to make sure I am on point if I were to ever use it. I'm purchasing three more to keep in my car, my work car, and at home. I'm also getting a shotgun to keep in my closet and a 380 auto for the wifey.
Incendiary rounds just sound like it's illegal to own in CA. But man, they sound cool. I'd probably want some incendiary rounds when I get a gun. Can't see myself shooting at anyone I'm not ready to kill anyways.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #68
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post

That nailed bat sounds illegal as hell to have. Can't imagine it being fun trying to explain that one to the cops.
§ 33:5. Firearms and other dangerous weapons—Billy, blackjack, bludgeon and other blunt instruments

West's Key Number Digest

West's Key Number Digest, Weapons 8

After firearms and knives, clubs must surely come to mind as the most common kind of weapon with which to inflict death, injury or merely terror. Thus, Article 265 prohibits the possession of such blunt instruments as the billy, the blackjack and the bludgeon. While they may sound like something out of Charles Dickens, the mere possession of these instruments is a crime.[FN1] These terms are not specifically defined in the statute, however, forcing the courts to interpret their meaning, sometimes with conflicting results, and in many cases leaving to the jury the question of the status or type of blunt instrument the defendant possessed.
For example, courts have grappled with the issue of what constitutes a “billy” within the meaning of Article 265. In People v. Schoonmaker,[FN2] the Appellate Division reversed the trial court's order suppressing evidence. The Appellate Division found that the trial court was certainly mistaken in its understanding of what constitutes a “billy,” because the trial court had found that the defendant did not possess a “billy,” and therefore no probable cause existed to arrest him, even though he was found in possession of a wooden shaft measuring 26 inches long and approximately 1 1/2 inch in diameter, with a leather strap attached to the end of the shaft, rendering the item a “nightstick” or “billy.” The Appellate Division rejected the trial court's understanding of a “billy” as somehow a shorter instrument capable of being carried in one's pocket. Similarly, in People v. Talbert,[FN3] the court held that a police officer had probable cause to believe that the defendant was in possession of a “billy” based on the defendant's possession of an object described as a broom handle 24 to 30 inches in length, with tape wrapped around each end. The Appellate Division reached its conclusion timorously, noting that

everyday objects, such as wooden sticks and tool handles, can look, in general terms, like a billy and, in criminal hands, can serve the purpose of a billy. It is clear from the statutory scheme that the Legislature did not intend to make mere possession of such objects per se unlawful. In our view, based on the manner in which the statute is set forth, the term “billy” must be strictly interpreted to mean a heavy wooden stick with a handle grip which, from its appearance, is designed to be used to strike an individual and not for other lawful purposes.[FN4]

Despite its “strict interpretation” of a “billy,” the Appellate Division in Talbert arrived at the conclusion that the object possessed by the defendant in that case was indeed a “billy,” because the addition of a grip to the broom handle converted an otherwise innocuous instrument into a fearsome weapon which met the definition of a “billy,” although the statute itself contains no such definition.
By contrast, in People v. Houghton,[FN5] the court concluded that a mini-baseball bat, measuring 12 inches long and weighing 6 1/2 ounces, and made by the defendant's brother-in-law in a high school industrial arts class, was certainly not a “billy” within the meaning of the statute. The court relied on the “Police Manual,” which described the two essential characteristics of a “billy”: “a thong or palm grip” and “lead weights at the bottom.”[FN6] Because the instrument in Houghton did not have these attributes, it was plainly not a “billy.” Similarly, in People v. Buhagiar,[FN7] the defendant's possession of a pestle, commonly used as a cooking utensil, absent evidence of alteration or an intent to use it unlawfully against another, did not constitute criminal possession of a “billy” within the meaning of the statute. Likewise in People v. Phillips,[FN8] the defendant's possession of a “collapsible baton,” described in the accusatory instrument as a “cylindrical handle with foam covering, and [which] had two internal collapsible sections, each about 6 to 8 inches long, made of steel tubing which could be extended and locked into place with the flick of a wrist,” was not a prohibited “billy” as strictly defined in People v. Talbert.[FN9]
A 'blackjack' is per se illegal,[FN10] and one would expect such a per se weapon to be statutorily defined so that there would be no ambiguity concerning its meaning. While a 'blackjack' is not defined in Article 265, it is one of the few per se weapons which is familiar enough to excuse the omission of a statutory definition. Thus, consistent with the common understanding or image of a 'blackjack', case law has interpreted the term 'blackjack' to mean a club with a flexible handle.[FN11]
A “bludgeon,” another per se weapon,[FN12] also lacks a statutory definition, despite the ambiguity of its meaning. The case law has interpreted a “bludgeon” to mean a short stick with one end loaded or thicker and heavier than the other, used as an offensive weapon.[FN13] According to the courts, because a bludgeon, as everyone knows, is primarily designed to be used as an offensive weapon, unlike, say, a baseball bat, the Legislature has made mere possession of a “bludgeon” a crime, although the Legislature has not seen fit to define the term. Query whether any attorney, no matter how competent, could confidently advise a client what objects he should avoid carrying in order to escape per se culpability for carrying a bludgeon.
Perhaps the point is made best, however, by People v. Branhut.[FN14] In that case, the inventor of the “spring whip” was charged with criminal possession of a weapon after he was arrested at LaGuardia Airport when he was found to be carrying six spring whips in his attache case.[FN15] The accusatory instrument originally charged the defendant with possession of a billy, but the People were forced to concede that the spring whip was not a billy, and they amended the accusatory instrument to charge the defendant with possession of a bludgeon. The court dismissed the charges, finding that a spring whip was not a bludgeon. According to the Branhut court, a bludgeon had a club-like shape, was weighted heavier at one end, was rigid and unyielding in texture, and obviously designed for offensive purposes. Thus, a bludgeon was nothing at all like the spring whip, which was lightweight, flexible and to be used as a defensive weapon. In short, no one but the prosecutor could have mistaken the spring whip for a billy or a bludgeon.
In People v. Ford,[FN16] decided five years after Branhut, the defendant purchased a spring whip from Mr. Branhut in reliance on the decision in Branhut, but was prosecuted anyway for criminal possession of a weapon based on his possession of a spring-whip. The People initially characterized the “spring whip” as a “blackjack” and a “telescoping blackjack,” but later amended the complaint to allege the defendant's possession of a “billy” and “telescoping night stick.” In upholding the sufficiency of the accusatory instrument, the Ford court distinguished Branhut because in Branhut the People had disavowed characterizing the spring whip as a “billy,” while in Ford the People returned to the “billy” theory. The Ford court reviewed the case law concerning what constitutes a bludgeon, billy or blackjack, and concluded, not surprisingly, that these instruments are not uniformly constructed with precise measurements and weights. Instead, in determining the nature of a particular instrument, and whether it is a per se weapon, the courts supposedly look at three critical factors: “(1) Is the weapon club-like? (2) Can it render serious physical injury? (3) Does it have any legitimate purpose other than as a weapon?”[FN17] According to the court in Ford, a spring whip embodied all three factors, permitting the jury to determine whether a spring whip was a per se weapon within the meaning of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.
In other words, while the prosecutor himself could not easily determine the nature of a spring whip, a jury could surely do so. The result in Ford is particularly disturbing because the per se possession statute, N.Y. Penal Law § 265.01(1), does not contain a catch-all phrase, which would allow a jury to determine whether a spring whip was like the other per se weapons listed in the statute. As defined by the Legislature, if a spring whip does not constitute one of the listed instruments, its possession would not be per se criminal. One thing is clear: a spring whip is neither a billy nor a bludgeon. There is an obvious cautionary tale in Branhut and Ford.
Article 265 criminalizes the mere possession of a chuka stick or nunchakus.[FN18] Fortunately, the statute defines a “chuka stick” as “any device designed primarily as a weapon, consisting of two or more lengths of a rigid material joined together by a thong, rope or chain in such a manner as to allow free movement of a portion of the device while held in the hand and capable of being rotated in such a manner as to inflict serious injury upon a person by striking or choking. These devices are also known as nunchakus or centrifugal force sticks.”[FN19] The definition of “chuka stick” was added to Article 265 in 1974; the sponsor of the bill described the chuka stick as an instrument designed primarily as a weapon which, with a minimum amount of practice, “may effectively be used as a garrote, bludgeon, thrusting or striking device,” and has no purpose other than to maim.[FN20]
      12-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #69
GGreek5
Olimpiakos
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3

Carry with me everywhere I go. S&W .357 airlight. Also have a .357 Sig P229 in 2 tone, Mossberg 500 Pistol Grip with door breacher, S&W 1911, Bushmaster AR. I have them in spots all over the house. lol. Wife thinks I'm crazy.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #70
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreek5 View Post
Carry with me everywhere I go. S&W .357 airlight. Also have a .357 Sig P229 in 2 tone, Mossberg 500 Pistol Grip with door breacher, S&W 1911, Bushmaster AR. I have them in spots all over the house. lol. Wife thinks I'm crazy.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #71
TheGooch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Glock center armrest at all times. CCW permit in both AZ and CA. I hope I never need it
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #72
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

No gun.. but..

^ She usually accompanies me..

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #73
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Question guys: cars get broken into pretty regularly. Do any of you actually KEEP these guns in your cars, or do you remove them when you're not in the car?

I can understand wanting a car-gun...but storing them in the car is a bad idea. You're a LOT more likely to arm a criminal than defend yourself. Get a concealed carry license if you must, but please don't store a gun in your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #74
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
No gun.. but..

^ She usually accompanies me..
Seeing this actually reminds me. I used to keep my culinary knife set in my trunk. So if ish went down, I'd just get my french knife.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #75
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
looks like my closet . i've got 15 clips x 30 rds of .223 loaded and waiting for the zombies to come.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #76
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Glock 27 next to my right thigh for quick access.

For more serious altercations:
Name:  ar15 holster.jpg
Views: 7840
Size:  28.2 KB

Custom i-drive button to activate the rack.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #77
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Glock 27 next to my right thigh for quick access.

For more serious altercations:
Attachment 336088

Custom i-drive button to activate the rack.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

Badass dude.
      12-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #78
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

You guys in the States are lucky! No gunplay allowed in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 08:46 AM   #79
chd2
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

I have a Kimber Eclipse Pro II in my glovebox...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #80
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Question guys: cars get broken into pretty regularly. Do any of you actually KEEP these guns in your cars, or do you remove them when you're not in the car?

I can understand wanting a car-gun...but storing them in the car is a bad idea. You're a LOT more likely to arm a criminal than defend yourself. Get a concealed carry license if you must, but please don't store a gun in your car.
Yeah i leave it in the car, I am lazy lol

If they steal my gun I will report it stolen
      12-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #81
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

I don't get the point of having a gun in a center console or glove box.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #82
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
Yeah i leave it in the car, I am lazy lol

If they steal my gun I will report it stolen
And "they" could use it to kill someone. Be responsible and take it out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #83
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

No shit you'll report it stolen. You've still armed a criminal.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #84
chd2
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
I don't get the point of having a gun in a center console or glove box.
If it is in the trunk, it is too far away to get to if you need it...just don't leave it there overnight, or parked anywhere!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #85
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chd2 View Post
If it is in the trunk, it is too far away to get to if you need it...just don't leave it there overnight, or parked anywhere!
but if someone is at your window with their own gun, you aren't going to be able to get to either locations either.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #86
Trauma Junkie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
And "they" could use it to kill someone. Be responsible and take it out of the car.
exactly
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:55 PM   #87
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

DD Mk18 Pistol
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00
      12-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #88