BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-02-2021, 02:47 AM   #1
x5wntd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: f15 35d

Tips for a first time diesel owner f15 35d

Hey folks! Just got the '15 f15 35d a month ago. It has 73k miles on it. As far as I put on it almost 800mi have no issues nor dash warmings on. All the small errors has been deleted since day 1 thru Carista and never showed up back again.

Did the maintenance w my german service shop (filters/oil etc) and because of lack of maintenance history on the car (have no any records for the last 2 years at all). Just found out that a fuel filter needs to be replaced every 30+- k and I believe that mine is never been done so gonna make it asap since looks like even less than a $100 bill.

What else I have to pay attention about? Maybe some liquids? Planning to keep that baby for a long time so have no way just to wait when it start falling apart.. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #2
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Welcome to the d life! Theres not as many diesel folks here, but if you're on facebook join the North American BMW Diesel Owners page. A wealth of knowledge from there, but be prepared to get a lot of crap from folks also lol

The best thing you can do for your diesel is an ABC delete and a tune. If you like in a state with emissions tests it can be tricky.

Run Hotshots EDT with each tank of fuel, and avoid gas stations that don't see a lot of diesel traffic.

I don't recall the intervals, but some things that are common diesel engine maintenance items are:
- injectors
- glow plugs
- fuel pumps
- fuel filters
- DEF fluid (unless you ABC delete)
- carbon cleaning (not as big of a deal with the N57, but still something to look into)

Keep disposable gloves in the back to use when fueling up since diesel doesnt evaporate like gasoline does. The pumps get nasty as I'm sure you've noticed.
Appreciate 1
x5wntd55.50
      03-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #3
x5wntd
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one8 View Post
Run Hotshots EDT with each tank of fuel, and avoid gas stations that don't see a lot of diesel traffic.
Thanks for the info and heads up.
Was looking for the OEM bmw diesel additive, but looks like no one in the US has it anymore.

As well got an advise from my buddy to filling up a diesel car only at chevron with Techron stations (at least in CA, depends on the state he said)

Looking for the service who can help me w the ABC delete and seems like a problem over here. Got a price from one service $2200 and not sure if its a fair price.

As well wondering about flash. Should I first thing do a delete and after flash the engine and gearbox or they not gonna cross and the shop not gonna touch my tune while deleting those?

And for sure will order that additive you mentioned before, why not, wanna keep the car for a long time tho
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d

I use Power Service additives: https://powerservice.com/psp_product...-cetane-boost/

I use the silver one most of the year, the white one in the winter and I keep a bottle of the red one in the trunk if it gets really, really, cold.

As already mentioned, I'll echo the advice to have disposable gloves handy in the trunk. I buy a box at Costco and make it a routine to use one every time! Some of the more commercial users of the diesel pumps are absolutely sloppy with overfill spillage. Also pays to watch where you step so you don't get a recent spill picked up on your shoes and tracked into the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
x5wntd55.50
      03-11-2021, 02:50 AM   #5
x5wntd
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianLurker View Post
As already mentioned, I'll echo the advice to have disposable gloves handy in the trunk. I buy a box at Costco and make it a routine to use one every time! Some of the more commercial users of the diesel pumps are absolutely sloppy with overfill spillage. Also pays to watch where you step so you don't get a recent spill picked up on your shoes and tracked into the vehicle.
Ngl filling up at the chevron station all the time (pretty big one on the side of the interstate) and never experienced any kind of dirt there. Anyway I use a hand sanitizer bc all the stations here are not credible about cleaning up/sanitizing it properly in time(even gas pipes). I wish one day its gonna be like in Russia where you don't even need to leave a car for get some fuel..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 03:08 AM   #6
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Take a look at PROPEL Fuels HPR diesel product. It’s a California only product with a high cetane (70+) eliminating the need for an additive. Their pumps are all over the major markets both down where you are as well as up here in NorCal. They place their pumps at popular, high traffic locations. D/l their app to find pumps and see current pricing.

I’m at just over 60k total miles with over 50k using HPR exclusively here in state.

Good luck with the delete. That’s a big no no here.
      03-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5wntd View Post
Looking for the service who can help me w the ABC delete and seems like a problem over here. Got a price from one service $2200 and not sure if its a fair price.

As well wondering about flash. Should I first thing do a delete and after flash the engine and gearbox or they not gonna cross and the shop not gonna touch my tune while deleting those?
If you perform a delete you will flash at the same time. A shop performing the delete will likely be spendy and will probably need to be a performance shop. I did mine myself so I cant speak for whats reasonable, and not sure how the timeline works out for the flash tune when going with a shop. I'd imagine the shop would work with the tuner to get the flash installed, but you'd want to talk to them to verify. Theres a few options for engine tunes, DUDMD, Malone, and JR are the most popular ones.

Check here for more info on deletes. A lot of info in this thread.
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=delete

From what I know xHP is the only option for transmission tunes for the F15 35d, and its fairly new. I'm holding out for Sutphin Tuning. They are working on a tune and will hopefully be released in the next 6-8 months depending on how the app development goes. Should be able to flash the transmission at any time, it wont have anything to do with the ABC delete.
Appreciate 2