07-04-2017, 09:44 AM   #23
kenniff
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i 22 model Arctic grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
At 3 months old and 4k miles, my pressure warning tripped last night, and checking the pressure in IDrive, it listed the fronts at 2.1 bar and the rears at 2.3 bar (sticker on door pillar states 2.2 for front and 2.4 for rears) so activated with a mere .1 bar drop.....?

My suspicion was raised, so out comes the expensive tyre pressure gauge from my racing/rallying days, and fronts say 2.5 and rears say 2.7......

Ok, try another gauge, a less expensive one, but still not a cheapo, and almost the same readings.
Hmmmmmmnnnnnnn..........

Just for shits and giggles I put in another 0.3/4 bar in each tyre from the foot pump so fronts are now reading 2.8 and 3.0 on the gauge, and did a reset (how long does that take - WTF!!) and eventually, the IDrive readings show........2.2 front and 2.3 rear..........

So, it looks like the TPMS is about as reliable as a chocolate teapot......

So much for technology.
Yes, I pumped mine up to the fully laden levels using factory forecourt thing and 2 days later they are all a lot lower according to the tpms. Unfortunately the right rear is markedly lower than the rest, and it was the one that tripped the sensor in the first place, so I may have a slow puncture.

And yes, drove around for AGES to get the reset to 100%.
Appreciate 0