11-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

TPMS - how hard can it be?

I am just wondering…

I bought my new non-BMW winter tires about a month ago from a nearby reputable tire-dealer. They are nice and welcoming, but now these tires (or more specifically the TMPS system) starts to annoy me a bit.

My fault I guess, as I didn't just jump in it and bought the original BMW winter tires from the first...but that said - how hard can it be to adapt some 3rd party wheels/sensors. It seems the F15 is special in this regard?

The story:
For the last month I have been living with the complete "breakdown" error message on the TPMS system. Shortly after leaving the dealer with new tires first time, I did a reset on the system, and the car started to count up the resetting %. I really had good hope. After a very long drive (about 40km) it stopped at 49% and shortly after - the "RDC error" came as well as all wheels stay "gray" on the display. Obviously wrong sensors for the F15, car could not see them.

From that day, the car immediately starts off with a "ping" at startup – together with the various blinking lights in the cluster. I told the dealer that I could live with that for a short time - until new sensors arrived.

So, a few days ago the day came - new sensors arrived the dealer. I visited and they re-fitted all wheels with the new pre-programmed type. Same model as they use in Tesla cars I was told, and they should work…

When I started up, the error was still there, but after a reset and short drive, the system suddenly started to count up % and all wheels became green. Impressed by that fact that the car recognized the new sensors automatically. “YES” I thought, I had been lucky.

But finally, not so. As the resetting process came to an end (100% count) - the car now says that RDC is active, all wheels green - BUT still no actual pressure (bar/psi) can be seen. Meaning, now the car can see the sensors...but still not read them??

At least all error messages are gone and system is quiet.
The dealer have promised they will fix this for me, even if they have to buy "original sensors" (whatever they are) from BMW, but as yet another visit to them take time etc and I anyway always can check my tire pressure manually with a digital gauge, I am considering leaving it there. But it's a bit annoying and not entirely the “way it should be”. When I have time I will try to let out a lot of air from one tire, and see if there is any reaction in the system. If not, it’s useless.

When I search the net for TPMS info and find websites that list the X5 compatibility the list often stop at the 2013 model and/or the F15 starts listed alone – like it stands out as something special. What have BMW done to the F15 that makes this so darn difficult? As I see many here buys 3rd party wheels – anyone with similar experiences?

Not really my concern as the dealer said they will fix it for me eventually (even they had to buy “original” sensors) but after all, I drive the car every day so…

Thanks,
Bent
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

When the tire pressure is working correctly as shown in your picture above, there will be no readings until you start driving a couple miles; everyone's screen including mine looks like your current screen when the car is parked. When you drive and are on this screen now, you still get nothing? I know you probably tested this, but I don't see any mention of you driving after you see the picture you posted. I know you tested it before the pic you posted. I know it's not the "safest" thing to do, but could you post a live picture while driving slowly in your neighborhood of what you see with your phone camera?

Do you have an ENET cable? If so, I can go into the settings and see if they enabled your sensors. Maybe they forgot to code them. If they are green, that means they are functioning, but if they are told not to show your sensor psi or temp (the extra coding), then you will get nothing. Let us know .
      11-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

It looks like they are working and connected to the car. Just not giving out the pressure reading.
Do as @opasha mentioned. Reset it and drive a few miles. I believe you need to drive up to 10 miles.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Tires...

Opasha and r33,
I very – VERY much appreciate your expert- input!!!
THANK YOU, thank you.

I currently do not have an ENET cable, but could of course order one in near future. No worries if that is needed...

Anyway, currently, I am on holiday and will not be able to use our car for awhile, and therefore cannot make a live reading soon. I have been driving quite a lot lately to test the system (and repeatedly reset it) , and it seems that nothing is changing. Seems your mentioning of “extra coding” might be the key here to my understanding.
That said, it’s just BAD that BMW makes this so extremely difficult.

I will come back to you when back from holiday (some weeks, lucky man…), but it’s still a mystery why BMW are making buying a couple of new wheels so hard…

Thank you,
Bent
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

I've seen mine behave like that even with original wheels and tyres.

Even driving 20-30 miles didn't get pressures and temps on the display. Stop the car, start again next day drive a mile or two and all is well and has been ever since that I've checked

I think the major thing is that it appears to be seeing the sensors okay. Give it a couple of stop/sleep/start/drive cycles and see what happens would be my suggestion.
Appreciate 0