12-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #1
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Corvette, '15 X5,

Oil smoke coming from engine bay

Hey guys,

So about 1500 miles ago I changed the oil (Liqui Moly Molygen 5W40) and the oil filter... since then I noticed there has been some "oil smells" coming in the cabin. I looked to see if I had any oil dripping from the oil pan nut, and there are 0 drips, I looked at the filter housing and seal and there are also no leaks there...

I feel like it's getting worse lately. Yesterday I opened the hood and I can clearly see white oil smoke coming from the rear passenger side of engine bay.

It just so happened after the oil change. There was none of thi before.

If you open the oil cap, there is some blow-by smoke there, which I think is normal for this engine.

What can this be? I did some quick googling and common one (from N54) is cracked valve cover, which makes sense. I also read about broken PCV valve.

Any ideas???

2015 N55 s35 with about 75K miles on it now.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post
Hey guys,

So about 1500 miles ago I changed the oil (Liqui Moly Molygen 5W40) and the oil filter... since then I noticed there has been some "oil smells" coming in the cabin. I looked to see if I had any oil dripping from the oil pan nut, and there are 0 drips, I looked at the filter housing and seal and there are also no leaks there...

I feel like it's getting worse lately. Yesterday I opened the hood and I can clearly see white oil smoke coming from the rear passenger side of engine bay.

If you open the oil cap, there is some blow-by smoke there, which I think is normal for this engine.

What can this be? I did some quick googling and common one (from N54) is cracked valve cover, which makes sense. I also read about broken PCV valve.

Any ideas???

Thanks.
At least on the 50i, at the back of the engine compartment there are some turbo oil lines. Early builds had crappy plastic ones which were easily damaged, which would of course cause a leak. I'd assume your N54 has some oil lines back there too, and I'd start there.
      12-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
At least on the 50i, at the back of the engine compartment there are some turbo oil lines. Early builds had crappy plastic ones which were easily damaged, which would of course cause a leak. I'd assume your N54 has some oil lines back there too, and I'd start there.
It's an N55. The research I did all talked about N54, which is why I said that.

for the record, there is absolutely no abnormalities driving and no power loss.

I've been checking the oil level too, it's always at max. I made sure to put the right amount in as well. 1x 5 quart bottle, 1x1q bottle and half of 1 quart bottle. (6.5Q)
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post
Hey guys,

Any ideas???

Thanks.
Perhaps a little spill or dribble when you refilled it? Very easy to do, and it's immediately going to run down into some out-of-sight place, in which case it won't be obvious at all. It can take quite a while to smoke off.
      12-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Perhaps a little spill or dribble when you refilled it? Very easy to do, and it's immediately going to run down into some out-of-sight place, in which case it won't be obvious at all. It can take quite a while to smoke off.
I thought so. I pressure washed the area there and tried to clean it up. It came right back. It's been going for a while. I thought about that too.. .but it's too far in the back, and I remember being pretty darn careful and how proud I was that I got one drop LOL
Appreciate 0