BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
BleuDawg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

10 hours plus alignment for springs? WT_

Anyone know a realistic price to expect to have springs installed with the air suspension? I've called around and I am getting quotes of a grand to as high as $1200 to install 2 axles and the rear links plus alignment which sounds totally ridiculous. I've read the DIY posts - how difficult / dangers is it really to attempt this myself with household tools and a shot of Jameson?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I don't see any danger if you have right tools, good jack, stands and being safe (personally I would keep a shot of Jameson to celebrate once it is all done).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

The toughest part will be clamping the springs to replace them on the shock/strut. A wall mounted spring compressor is what you want, but, I have done it on 750lb springs for a Fox Racing Coilover for a Tundra with the widow maker spring clamps. Just need to be carefull, ensure the clamps are engaged and have a impact wrench to help compress the spring

That being said...

I'd peg it at 2-3 hours for the front axle to remove the strut assembly and replace the spring then reinstall if the tech is familiar with BMW's.
.5 to swap the front and rear level sensors, baring any corrosion or rust.
Alignment varies by shop, but its not going to be a straight forward alignment. You won't come near OEM specs with the lowering springs so the tech may have to fiddle with it to get it close to spec.

Call it 3 hours of labor at say $150/h. That's $450, plus alignment cost $200ish? You'd be at $650. Add an extra hour of labor and a higher alignment cost + taxes it starts adding up.

If it were me, I'd do it myself. I don't think you quotes are too far off, maybe high by a few hundred IMO. Certainly enough to shop around and call some other Indy shops or buy some tools and spend a day learning.

Another options would be to pull the front strut assembly yourself, bring it to a shop, pay for an hour of labor for them to swap the springs over, then take it home and finish the DIY yourself. The level sensors are not hard. Then you could drive it back and have it aligned.

Last edited by scotty339; 09-25-2020 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

Re-aim headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
The toughest part will be clamping the springs to replace them on the shock/strut. A wall mounted spring compressor is what you want, but, I have done it on 750lb springs for a Fox Racing Coilover for a Tundra with the widow maker spring clamps. Just need to be carefull, ensure the clamps are engaged and have a impact wrench to help compress the spring

That being said...

I'd peg it at 2-3 hours for the front axle to remove the strut assembly and replace the spring then reinstall if the tech is familiar with BMW's.
.5 to swap the front and rear level sensors, baring any corrosion or rust.
Alignment varies by shop, but its not going to be a straight forward alignment. You won't come near OEM specs with the lowering springs so the tech may have to fiddle with it to get it close to spec.

Call it 3 hours of labor at say $150/h. That's $450, plus alignment cost $200ish? You'd be at $650. Add an extra hour of labor and a higher alignment cost + taxes it starts adding up.

If it were me, I'd do it myself. I don't think you quotes are too far off, maybe high by a few hundred IMO. Certainly enough to shop around and call some other Indy shops or buy some tools and spend a day learning.

Another options would be to pull the front strut assembly yourself, bring it to a shop, pay for an hour of labor for them to swap the springs over, then take it home and finish the DIY yourself. The level sensors are not hard. Then you could drive it back and have it aligned.
Question: Is Re-aiming the headlights necessary? I'll be dropping my X5 about an inch (HR front and rear links) and the car has the standard Xenon Adaptive Headlights. Thanks
      09-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
BleuDawg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post

Great advice - If you back out doing the strut/spring swap that saves me from renting tools and the biggest area of risk/complexity...then it's just a jack the car up / remove & reinstall. the rears look pretty simple - that to me feels very doable using my wife's car to shuttle back and forth the parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
jdjennings513
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

10 hrs seems a little extreme. DIY is definitely doable. Took about 4 hours for mine with adjustments and then the alignment.
If you are on airbags make sure you disconnect your battery before removing/installing links.
Attached Images

Last edited by jdjennings513; 09-25-2020 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #7
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
Question: Is Re-aiming the headlights necessary? I'll be dropping my X5 about an inch (HR front and rear links) and the car has the standard Xenon Adaptive Headlights. Thanks
Lowering will just decrease its throw range as it will be pointed more towards the ground.

Lifting is when you need to adjust the headlights to counter act blinding other drivers. Big lifted trucks around here that don't adjust the headlights after lifting and they just drive around blinding everyone and cant see shit because the lights are pointing at the moon.

The Xenon Adaptive lights go through a start up and self leveling cycle during each turn on. Not sure what the parameters are for that, but I'd imagine it would self correct/counteract your lowering.

I'd just park you car in a flat spot. Put two pieces of tape on the top cutoff portion of the headlights when aimed at a wall at a set distance. Install your drop. Park your X5 in the same spot and then re-check the light beam pattern to ensure it is good to go. Id' imagine its minimal, especially with a one inch adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleuDawg View Post
Anyone know a realistic price to expect to have springs installed with the air suspension? I've called around and I am getting quotes of a grand to as high as $1200 to install 2 axles and the rear links plus alignment which sounds totally ridiculous. I've read the DIY posts - how difficult / dangers is it really to attempt this myself with household tools and a shot of Jameson?
Hahah these mechanics suck. You're going to raise the truck then drop it on stands so the suspension will be sagging. You take the entire coil over assembly out , then use a spring compressor. You don't need to go crazy over-compressing the springs to get them off. A mechanic should be able to do the fronts in 2 hours. You can do the entire job by noon if you start at 730. No danger. Borrow the compressor from AZ, theirs works well. No danger.

BTW I did mine in a few hours as a first timer with no extra hands. Don't stress over the springs, just rent the AZ tool. It will take you 10 mins to get them off.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #9
BleuDawg
Private
Rep

So, I did the rear links and decided to take it into a shop to install the front springs - he agreed to 4 hours which seemed reasonable based on feedback.

Problem is..I was expecting a 1.6" drop and looks like the drop is about 1 inch. I'm sitting at 31" on H&R from 32". I will need to adjust the rear links to increase the height in the back, but I am surprised the drop isn't what was advertised - anyone know why that might be? Will it drop more after driving it for a couple of days and letting the suspension settle? With less than an inch drop, I'm wondering if I bother with an alignment also...bummer.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #10
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Looks good.

The springs will settle. Drive it for a week or so then re-measure. You'll get a bit more.

As for the alignment, that's your call. You can always measure your tires and keep an eye out for un even wear if you want to not get one and be proactive.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:59 PM   #11
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleuDawg View Post
So, I did the rear links and decided to take it into a shop to install the front springs - he agreed to 4 hours which seemed reasonable based on feedback.

Problem is..I was expecting a 1.6" drop and looks like the drop is about 1 inch. I'm sitting at 31" on H&R from 32". I will need to adjust the rear links to increase the height in the back, but I am surprised the drop isn't what was advertised - anyone know why that might be? Will it drop more after driving it for a couple of days and letting the suspension settle? With less than an inch drop, I'm wondering if I bother with an alignment also...bummer.

Thoughts?
It's always a good idea to do the alignment when making any changes to suspension. Once the tires start wearing unevenly it's too late.

With that said. I had mine checked after doing mine and they were still in limits after the swap. Sooooo. Ya.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0