Originally Posted by Twin Peaks View Post
Quote:
Ordered these...
Individual Tip OD: 3.5"
Total Width of both tips: 7 3/4"
Depth: 9"
Inlet: 2.5
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072K6W4V7..._bilEBbM4Y063C .

If they look bad, I'll see what the shop has or stay oem. I figure when they are welded and pipes placed they can be placed at an angle to be even with the curve. Thanks guys!
Just finished the install this morning ($275, 2 hours labor 2 pipes, I supplied x pipe and tips), sounds absolutely beautiful! No noticeable drone 0 through 80. I'll also be going in for some service next week. Let's see how "friendly" the dealership is with this modification .
Which x pipe and tips did you go with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yewlock View Post
Quote:
Just finished the install this morning ($275, 2 hours labor 2 pipes, I supplied x pipe and tips), sounds absolutely beautiful! No noticeable drone 0 through 80. I'll also be going in for some service next week. Let's see how "friendly" the dealership is with this modification .
Quad tips look cool
I have a collection of videos, wot through tunnels is wreckless! (Incoming in a couple days)

X Pipe: Exhaust Stamped X Pipe 2.50" Dia Dual... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4OSE1L?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I am very satisfied with the tips. I am considering having them cut off again and powder coated matte black to match the rims.
      08-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #310
delviacv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i & 2015 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Ordered these...

If they look bad, I'll see what the shop has or stay oem. I figure when they are welded and pipes placed they can be placed at an angle to be even with the curve. Thanks guys!
Don't order the 3" X pipe, I had to return mine it does not fit in the tunnel, 2.5" is perfect.

The difference between the 2.5" and the 3" is massive
Attached Images

2014 X5 50i Carbon Black/ M Sport
-BM3 Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 09:22 PM   #311
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (F15)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ordered these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewlock View Post
Quote:
Quad tips look cool
I have a collection of videos, wot through tunnels is wreckless! (Incoming in a couple days)

X Pipe: Exhaust Stamped X Pipe 2.50" Dia Dual... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4OSE1L?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I am very satisfied with the tips. I am considering having them cut off again and powder coated matte black to match the rims.
Here's a video, I'll do more soon.

08-31-2018, 11:14 PM   #312
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Lol love it
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #313
PlexFD
Rep
Drives: X5 50i, FD RX7, S30 240z

Definitely getting mine done soon... I rode in TheLastDetail's today and its raaaaad
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #314
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Has anyone considered this mod, and adding a small muffler on each side, single chamber style, to try to curb any drone?
I see there are short 12" stainless 2.5" mufflers, and I'm considering using them when I have my system done in a week or two...
I'm thinking it should still sound much better than stock, but hopefully won't have any drone, or scare ol ladies at WOT... LOL

Any thoughts?

Last edited by 1norseman; 09-16-2018 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #315
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
Has anyone considered this mod, and adding a small muffler on each side, single chamber style, to try to curb any drone?
I see there are short 12" stainless 2.5" mufflers, and I'm considering using them when I have my system done in a week or two...
I'm thinking it should still sound much better than stock, but hopefully won't have any drone, or scare ol ladies at WOT... LOL

Any thoughts?
I haven't seen any reports of drone due to leaving the resonators and the addition of the x pipe. The addition of mufflers would just be to make it quieter if that's what you want. But if you're going to do that then might as well leave stock muffler and port it a bit.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      09-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #316
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't seen any reports of drone due to leaving the resonators and the addition of the x pipe. The addition of mufflers would just be to make it quieter if that's what you want. But if you're going to do that then might as well leave stock muffler and port it a bit.
I just re-read all the pages, looks like I misinterpreted some comments about drone... Going to get the mod done as suggested.
Thnx for reply!
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      10-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #317
bmwMthusiast
Rep
Drives: E36 328 Dinan, F15 50i M Sport

Does anyone know the type of metal the stock exhaust uses? (Mild steel/stainless/type of stainless) I'm going to do this myself since I didn't like what I saw at the local muffler shops.

I'm planning to make mandrel bent tail pipes attached with v-band clamps for a quality look.

Thinking quad 3.5/4" matte black staggered single wall tips (Dinan style) Can't find them online so lmk if anyone has seen them or I will make them.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #318
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwMthusiast View Post
Does anyone know the type of metal the stock exhaust uses? (Mild steel/stainless/type of stainless) I'm going to do this myself since I didn't like what I saw at the local muffler shops.

I'm planning to make mandrel bent tail pipes attached with v-band clamps for a quality look.

Thinking quad 3.5/4" matte black staggered single wall tips (Dinan style) Can't find them online so lmk if anyone has seen them or I will make them.
I know they're SS but not sure what kind exactly. If you're just clamping them on vice welding then why does it matter.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #319
bmwMthusiast
Rep
Drives: E36 328 Dinan, F15 50i M Sport

Quote:
I know they're SS but not sure what kind exactly. If you're just clamping them on vice welding then why does it matter.
The x-pipe and one set of flanges from the v-band clamps will need to welded to the original exhaust; the gas and filler for welding SS and mild steel are different
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #320
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

X-Pipe vs H-Pipe!

So I ordered an 2.5" X-pipe, and I'm not impressed at all.

Stamped material, and 2.5" inlets that are down to about 2" on the inside, due to inlet tubing diameter crimped at the inside end. Something I assume is to make it easier to manufacture them, but really screws up the airflow.

Also, our exhaust is 71mm, which is close to 2.75" diameter. So down to a 2" diameter, and distractions to the flow going out of the X, is not acceptable to me.

Now I'm looking into having a custom 2.75" X-pipe made instead. But more about that later...

During my research, I found out about H-pipes.
For you guys just looking to get a better sound, I suggest reading up on H-pipe vs X-pipe. Then talk to a muffler shop about it.

From what I have read so far, it is not quite as effective as the X-pipe when it comes to flow, but won't make much of a difference in our application, and gotta be way better than a cheaply made, stamped X-pipe.
I read the H-pipe has less high pitched sound and more of the low tones, which is better if you are doing this for the glorious sounds of a turbo charged V8... LOL

If a muffler shop is good, they should be able to remove your exhaust, install a short pipe between the existing ones, somewhere along the pipes after the resonators. Does not even have to be 2.75" could be a standard 2" or 2.5" SS piece.

Last edited by 1norseman; 10-24-2018 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #321
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
So I ordered an 2.5" X-pipe, and I'm not impressed at all.

Stamped material, and 2.5" inlets that are down to about 2" on the inside, due to inlet tubing diameter crimped at the inside end. Something I assume is to make it easier to manufacture them, but really screws up the airflow.

Also, our exhaust is 71mm, which is close to 2.75" diameter. So down to a 2" diameter, and distractions to the flow going out of the X, is not acceptable to me.
Now I'm looking into having a custom 2.75" X-pipe made instead. But more about that later...
X-pipe serves the main purpose to equilibrate pressure coming out from 2 banks (V8 has 2 separate banks) and make it sound better and flow better. Flowing better in this case means Venturi effect (google it) and smaller diameter x-pipe achieves exactly that - higher speeds of flow in x-pipe and each portion of gases "assisting" next portion by creating a suction. This is what creates a "Harley Davidson" rumble with distinct recognizable exhaust. Like when you can hear every portion of gas exhaust separately - as opposed to a constant 6-cyl. whining exhaust noise. That been said if you'll use larger x-pipe - you might still get that, but I'm not sure. And of course there is no flow obstruction at all - at that point in the middle of exhaust pathway (where x-pipe is welded) after stock cats lol - there is no obstruction whatsoever. Stock cats already did all the damage they can do. Everything beyond that is free flow. However, main purpose of x-pipe for V8 (unlike for 6-cyl.) is to make it sound better. 2 seprate banks without crossing over with x-pipe or h-pipe sound horrible - like 4-cyl engine.

Quote:
During my research, I found out about H-pipes.
For you guys just looking to get a better sound, I suggest reading up on H-pipe vs X-pipe. Then talk to a muffler shop about it.
We already read up about that long time ago. We also read up about many other things that you might discover in the future. It's ok, that's why forum is here to help people get what they want with minimal mistakes.
H-pipe will only equilibrate pressure same as x-pipe - so you won't have a very unpleasant sound of V8 when it fires like a 2 separate banks - it doesn't sound good at all - basically like 4-cyl engines - not bueno. So you'll get that equilibration of pressure yes, same as x-pipe. What it will not achieve is Venturi effect. You might even get some turbulence of gases between pipes and I can't really say how it will affect sound of n63tu exhaust. On every car h-pipe will sound different, some will be ok, some not so good. You can try and let us know - I doubt sound will be better than x-pipe.

Quote:
From what I have read so far, it is not quite as effective as the X-pipe when it comes to flow, but won't make much of a difference in our application, and gotta be way better than a cheaply made, stamped X-pipe.
I read the H-pipe has less high pitched sound and more of the low tones, which is better if you are doing this for the glorious sounds of a turbo charged V8... LOL

If a muffler shop is good, they should be able to remove your exhaust, install a short pipe between the existing ones, somewhere along the pipes after the resonators. Does not even have to be 2.75" could be a standard 2" or 2.5" SS piece.
If the muffler shop is good - they will be able to weld in x-pipe or h-pipe (even easier) without removing exhaust - there's no need to do it - it's very basic setup - I've posted picture of it earlier on this thread. This is how my muffler delete was done and many others too.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #322
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
X-pipe serves the main purpose to equilibrate pressure coming out from 2 banks (V8 has 2 separate banks) and make it sound better and flow better. Flowing better in this case means Venturi effect (google it) and smaller diameter x-pipe achieves exactly that - higher speeds of flow in x-pipe and each portion of gases "assisting" next portion by creating a suction. This is what creates a "Harley Davidson" rumble with distinct recognizable exhaust. Like when you can hear every portion of gas exhaust separately - as opposed to a constant 6-cyl. whining exhaust noise. That been said if you'll use larger x-pipe - you might still get that, but I'm not sure. And of course there is no flow obstruction at all - at that point in the middle of exhaust pathway (where x-pipe is welded) after stock cats lol - there is no obstruction whatsoever. Stock cats already did all the damage they can do. Everything beyond that is free flow. However, main purpose of x-pipe for V8 (unlike for 6-cyl.) is to make it sound better. 2 seprate banks without crossing over with x-pipe or h-pipe sound horrible - like 4-cyl engine.
We already read up about that long time ago. We also read up about many other things that you might discover in the future. It's ok, that's why forum is here to help people get what they want with minimal mistakes.
H-pipe will only equilibrate pressure same as x-pipe - so you won't have a very unpleasant sound of V8 when it fires like a 2 separate banks - it doesn't sound good at all - basically like 4-cyl engines - not bueno. So you'll get that equilibration of pressure yes, same as x-pipe. What it will not achieve is Venturi effect. You might even get some turbulence of gases between pipes and I can't really say how it will affect sound of n63tu exhaust. On every car h-pipe will sound different, some will be ok, some not so good. You can try and let us know - I doubt sound will be better than x-pipe.
DuSh, you could be right, I’m no expert. But no offense, I do try to find people who know a lot more than I do, and ask questions..
I know I'm fairly new to this forum, and there's lots to learn from you "old timers".
Nonetheless, in regards to the Venturi effect, I remember playing with it in physics class while reading about Bernoulli, long before there was a google! LOL

Anyway, according to the exhaust people I spoke to, I was told I was wrong about how the H-pipe would not work, when they suggested it, and I said I needed an X-pipe.
But as we spoke about it and other factors started come to light, they said I would be better off with the correctly made x-pipe.
So in this case, stamped crappy X-pipe<H-pipe<proper X-pipe

I was also told that if I had a naturally aspirated engine, the smaller diameter would be good (venturi effect). However for a turbo charged vehicle, I would be better off with an X-pipe that matched the existing size piping.
Smaller diameter will help some at lower RPMs, but be restrictive at higher rpms. There is a reason BMW went with 71mm pipes. (now, if BMW only could have better flowing cats too...)
Then on top of that, the stamped X-pipe I received with the obstructions would negatively effect the system too. A smooth flowing 2.5” would be ok, but one that does not have a smooth flow, would be a bottle neck, especially on a 400+hp engine. This coming from someone who builds race car exhausts, so hopefully they have a good grip on what they do.

Just to make it clear, the inside of the stamped X-pipe I received had like a cone going into the X-chamber, past the weld, for each pipe, this creates a lot of turbulence, not a smooth flow. So the venturi effect would be somewhat negated by the turbulence slowing the speed of the exhaust. Also, we are dealing with a double venturi effect, due to the inlets on both side of the larger chamber of the X. I have never studied two venturi chambers in close series, but I have a feeling it just creates more turbulence in the X chamber. Would be interesting to see a flow simulation..

When it comes to the sound, I was told an H-pipe would still make the exhaust sound great, but as you mention, not have the better flow.
Real life trumps what people might believe it should sound like without actually doing it.
So thank you for your feedback, I don’t want to steer anyone in the wrong direction..
Myself, I have no plans to go with an H-pipe, I’m working on getting a 2.75” X-pipe made, or fix the 2.5" one. More on that later.

Quote:
If the muffler shop is good - they will be able to weld in x-pipe or h-pipe (even easier) without removing exhaust - there's no need to do it - it's very basic setup - I've posted picture of it earlier on this thread.
I have read and seen the pictures, an X-pipe can be welded in without removing the exhaust true, but a correctly made H-pipe might be a bit harder to cut holes for, and weld properly, thus my comment about removing it.

Anyway, thank you again for the reply!
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I like to do things right the first time. Measure twice, cut once! LOL
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      10-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #323
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
DuSh, you could be right, I’m no expert. But no offense, I do try to find people who know a lot more than I do, and ask questions..
I know I'm fairly new to this forum, and there's lots to learn from you "old timers".
Nonetheless, in regards to the Venturi effect, I remember playing with it in physics class while reading about Bernoulli, long before there was a google! LOL

Anyway, according to the exhaust people I spoke to, I was told I was wrong about how the H-pipe would not work, when they suggested it, and I said I needed an X-pipe.
But as we spoke about it and other factors started come to light, they said I would be better off with the correctly made x-pipe.
So in this case, stamped crappy X-pipe<H-pipe<proper X-pipe

I was also told that if I had a naturally aspirated engine, the smaller diameter would be good (venturi effect). However for a turbo charged vehicle, I would be better off with an X-pipe that matched the existing size piping.
Smaller diameter will help some at lower RPMs, but be restrictive at higher rpms. There is a reason BMW went with 71mm pipes. (now, if BMW only could have better flowing cats too...)
Then on top of that, the stamped X-pipe I received with the obstructions would negatively effect the system too. A smooth flowing 2.5” would be ok, but one that does not have a smooth flow, would be a bottle neck, especially on a 400+hp engine. This coming from someone who builds race car exhausts, so hopefully they have a good grip on what they do.

Just to make it clear, the inside of the stamped X-pipe I received had like a cone going into the X-chamber, past the weld, for each pipe, this creates a lot of turbulence, not a smooth flow. So the venturi effect would be somewhat negated by the turbulence slowing the speed of the exhaust. Also, we are dealing with a double venturi effect, due to the inlets on both side of the larger chamber of the X. I have never studied two venturi chambers in close series, but I have a feeling it just creates more turbulence in the X chamber. Would be interesting to see a flow simulation..

When it comes to the sound, I was told an H-pipe would still make the exhaust sound great, but as you mention, not have the better flow.
Real life trumps what people might believe it should sound like without actually doing it.
So thank you for your feedback, I don’t want to steer anyone in the wrong direction..
Myself, I have no plans to go with an H-pipe, I’m working on getting a 2.75” X-pipe made, or fix the 2.5" one. More on that later.

I have read and seen the pictures, an X-pipe can be welded in without removing the exhaust true, but a correctly made H-pipe might be a bit harder to cut holes for, and weld properly, thus my comment about removing it.

Anyway, thank you again for the reply!
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I like to do things right the first time. Measure twice, cut once! LOL
You are right man. I'm very happy that someone is trying something new. The truth is we really don't know how a different setup will affect sound. So I'm really interested in your custom setup. Please keep us posted whatever you decide to go with.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #324
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
no fight gentleman's . Both cars are very sexy
Since your videos arent around anymore, do you have a pic or part number of the tips you used? I want to take up as much real estate as possible in the bumper hole.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #325
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
Since your videos arent around anymore, do you have a pic or part number of the tips you used? I want to take up as much real estate as possible in the bumper hole.
These are the tips I'm planning to use. Will slip right on to 2.5" pipe, but might stick out a bit from the bumper. They are 7" across, so they should look about perfect in the bumper opening. But until I actually get working on it, I won't know for sure. Hopefully I won't have to trim the bumper at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072YR7QKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plan to cut the slip on ends off, and weld collector direct to the 2.75" mandrel bent pipe that I'm going to replace the muffler with. This way they won't stick out too far.

They have a nice offset, that matches the bumper better than even length tips. Still not perfect, but best I have been able to find so far...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 10:25 PM   #326
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Quote:
These are the tips I'm planning to use. Will slip right on to 2.5" pipe, but might stick out a bit from the bumper. They are 7" across, so they should look about perfect in the bumper opening. But until I actually get working on it, I won't know for sure. Hopefully I won't have to trim the bumper at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072YR7QKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plan to cut the slip on ends off, and weld collector direct to the 2.75" mandrel bent pipe that I'm going to replace the muffler with. This way they won't stick out too far.

They have a nice offset, that matches the bumper better than even length tips. Still not perfect, but best I have been able to find so far...
Those look just like the ones I did. They stick out a little but its livable.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #327
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

I'm curious how much louder this makes the car. I would definitely like to hear the v8 just a tad more. Maybe 10% over stock. Definitely do not want to wake the neighbors or turn heads and I need to have ZERO drone.... Will this mod do that or is this on the louder side?
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #328
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
I'm curious how much louder this makes the car. I would definitely like to hear the v8 just a tad more. Maybe 10% over stock. Definitely do not want to wake the neighbors or turn heads and I need to have ZERO drone.... Will this mod do that or is this on the louder side?
Read the thread. There are several videos. And YouTube is a great place to start. It's definitely louder than 10%. You're removing both mufflers....
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      10-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #329
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
Read the thread. There are several videos. And YouTube is a great place to start. It's definitely louder than 10%. You're removing both mufflers....
I read the entire thread. I don't feel like my exact question was answered, so I asked. Some people are saying there's no drone, some (at least one person) said they experience drone.

IMO, videos are pretty useless when trying to figure out volume, especially interior. You can get an idea of the exhaust note if you have good headphones but that's about it.

The cold start seems pretty loud from what I can tell but then it seems to idle similar to stock volume? I just want to do something with the exhaust but still stay in the classy range and not be obnoxious.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #330
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
I read the entire thread. I don't feel like my exact question was answered, so I asked. Some people are saying there's no drone, some (at least one person) said they experience drone.

IMO, videos are pretty useless when trying to figure out volume, especially interior. You can get an idea of the exhaust note if you have good headphones but that's about it.

The cold start seems pretty loud from what I can tell but then it seems to idle similar to stock volume? I just want to do something with the exhaust but still stay in the classy range and not be obnoxious.
If you've read the thread - you would have seen several posts talking about volume, for example this is my post on page 5: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=97

It's louder than 10% for sure like Maverick said. Gas pedal is your volume knob basically: drive normally and neighbors won't hear a thing, push it hard and they will. As for drone - it's all subjective, ANY loud exhaust can be considered as having drone. Even $5k brand exhausts have some drone when driving on constant speed on highway. Even stock 50i exhaust has drone if you drive on certain slope on highway in certain gear. It's just on stock exhaust everything is very muffled and you don't hear drone as much. When exhaust gets louder - you start to hear more details that you haven't noticed before. It doesn't have drone like Honda coffee can exhausts have, but you can't make a V8 with what is essentially a straight pipe except cats/resonators to be 100% free of drone.
35i MPE has drone too. Amount of drone varies, but if you are sensitive to drone - stay with stock exhaust man. There is no free cheese. You can't open up V8 without some drone. The only solution is to muffle the crap out of everything and it's called stock exhaust.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00