Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin Nauti View Post
Here is a replacement for the 4" in Focal. I can say that Focal kevelar/power line of speakers (also known as K2 or K2Power) are far superior to what BMW offers.

I actually used all Focal in a vehicle some years back where I took 3rd place in the World Finals IASCA sound quality competition. Not to mention 3 times state champion in a couple states and Midwest USA points champion.

I used these 4" as part of my front stage but I swapped out the tweets for the Utiopia line TN-52. The TKM tweeters that come in the kit are good I just wanted a bit more.

So yes focal is a superior speaker if you get the right line. Just like most things they have cheaper versions so if you are looking at lower lines of Focal I cant speak much for those.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Focal-4-Com...53.m1438.l2649

Wow. Awesome setup!!

Are you using the stock amp to power it all? Do you have the HK system?

Lastly, Do you have a write up about this install/set-up anywhere here or on the forums?

Thanks!!
A stock amp will not get the full potential out of the speakers. What are your goals? Do you have the HK system?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 03:29 AM   #222
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin Nauti View Post
Here is a replacement for the 4" in Focal. I can say that Focal kevelar/power line of speakers (also known as K2 or K2Power) are far superior to what BMW offers.

I actually used all Focal in a vehicle some years back where I took 3rd place in the World Finals IASCA sound quality competition. Not to mention 3 times state champion in a couple states and Midwest USA points champion.

I used these 4" as part of my front stage but I swapped out the tweets for the Utiopia line TN-52. The TKM tweeters that come in the kit are good I just wanted a bit more.

So yes focal is a superior speaker if you get the right line. Just like most things they have cheaper versions so if you are looking at lower lines of Focal I cant speak much for those.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Focal-4-Com...53.m1438.l2649
Since no one sits in the back, do you suggest to swap to Focal on all 4 doors, center and trunk or just the front doors, and keep the stock HK speakers as "support"?
Depends on your goals, budget etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #223
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx1sq View Post
A stock amp will not get the full potential out of the speakers. What are your goals? Do you have the HK system?
I have the HK system. My goals are to get a fuller, more clear sound, better soundstage, and just be able to enjoy my music more. If possible I don’t want to have to add another amp for the fronts, unless it’s totally necessary. I want to focus on improving on everything from 80Hz and up. The low end is the easy part...
(I am planning on adding a separate 10” sub and amp in the cargo area.)

Right now I’m trying to decide if I should just go with the Focal IFBMW-S, or get the Focal ES100K (they are practically the same price here in Europe) if I do either one of these will the stock HK amp be suitable to power the speakers? Even if just for a while...?

Do You have any words of wisdom here? Any guidance?

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 1
bmwx1sq145.00
      01-09-2019, 06:42 AM   #224
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have the HK system. My goals are to get a fuller, more clear sound, better soundstage, and just be able to enjoy my music more. If possible I don’t want to have to add another amp for the fronts, unless it’s totally necessary. I want to focus on improving on everything from 80Hz and up. The low end is the easy part...

Right now I’m trying to decide if I should just go with the Focal IFBMW-S, or get the Focal ES100K (they are practically the same price here in Europe) if I do either one of these will the stock HK amp be suitable to power the speakers? Even if just for a while...?

Thanks in advance!!
In this thread we found that the oem amp have the wrong crossover point. I would really look at a helix/match 8 channel amp/dsp. Or the bimmertech one they are the same unit. You will need the harness and a Audison or Helix MOST converter to make it plug and play. This will keep all the chimes and warning sounds also. As for speaker those focal bmw kit would work. I know it sounds like a lot but it's pretty simple.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #225
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
In this thread we found that the oem amp have the wrong crossover point. I would really look at a helix/match 8 channel amp/dsp. Or the bimmertech one they are the same unit. You will need the harness and a Audison or Helix MOST converter to make it plug and play. This will keep all the chimes and warning sounds also. As for speaker those focal bmw kit would work. I know it sounds like a lot but it's pretty simple.
Ok. So if I go with the Focal BMW kit, would it be plug and play? Or would I still need to get all of the external amps and DSPs? I want to increase the SQ but I don’t want to spend $3K doing it if I don’t have to...

Last edited by Jrunr; 01-09-2019 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
bmwx1sq145.00
      01-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #226
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok. So if I go with the Focal BMW kit, would it be plug and play? Or would I still need to get all of the external amps and DSPs? I want to increase the SQ but I don't want to spend $3K doing it if I don't have to...
I doubt you will hear a huge difference in just changing the speaker. If you plan is the upgrade the amp later, then I say start there. But if it was me I would start with the amp first then speakers. The sound going out is only as good as the signal coming in.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #227
Feelin Nauti
Feelin Nauti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i M Sport Frozen

Quote:
Wow. Awesome setup!!

Are you using the stock amp to power it all? Do you have the HK system?

Lastly, Do you have a write up about this install/set-up anywhere here or on the forums?

Thanks!!
The system I was talking about was in a different car. I had about 12k in that system. Yes I had all Focal K2P throughout the vehicle and dedicated amps and active crossover for everything. Full 30 band EQ for each speaker and tuned it up with an RTA.

But your question was... Is the Focal speaker better than the stock HK or B&O speakers and the answer is yes...

If you use the stock amp and processors you will not get the full potential out of the speakers, but it will be a more detailed listening experience. So YES if you were going to spend money to replace speakers these are a good start. I'm sure in time you will want more power and Personally I prefer 75 to 100 watts per speaker and then gain them back. This will give you the most dynamic headroom.

As far as replacing the other speakers in the vehicle... that's a personal choice. I would say to start with maybe not.

To set up a vehicle sound system properly think about it this way....

You are sitting in a smaller venue jazz concert. You are in the center of the room and about 100' back (the sweet spot for small live shows). All the sound is in front of you. You hear instruments to the left, left center, vocals in center and maybe the crisp snap of the snare drum, instruments to the right center and finally to the far right.
If you was to turn your head slightly either direction you still hear the same band but it is not as pronounced and really in a slight millisecond delay as it is reverb from the back walls of the concert hall.

Take this and apply it to a vehicle for proper sound stage and time alignment. Your main stage is in front of you and especially the center. With proper alignment it is possible to get center staging without a proper center channel but it has been my experience without the center channel you loose that extra pop. Its more simulated if you know what I mean.
So the speaker behind you will be a little quieter so therefore more people choose to use a little lesser speaker as long as it is still a decent speaker. So to start with you can leave the rears alone. Personally I also turn the fader a click or two towards the front to simulate more sound coming from the front than equally in the rear. Also a reason they can be a little lesser of a speaker. Consider the rear speakers as " Rear Fill" not main drivers.

The real sonic problem with our vehicle are the speaker size and lack of a midbass driver up front. They place them under the seat. While you do hear them its not the same dynamic. A great setup would be a 3 way active system with proper crossover points like I pointed out earlier in this thread.

So if you get these speakers and you want to start off small... a correct passive system will be fine. Just plan to use the crossovers that come with these speakers so you get the most out of this setup. You should be able the just use the speaker lead that goes to the factory 4" speaker as the input to the crossover. I would think somewhere in the door you should be able to ziptie the crossover in place. Then connect the 4" midrange and the 1" tweeter to the correct places on the crossover.

You will hear much more detail than you have been hearing with the factory system.

Good luck.
2013 Harley Softail, Road King, Road Glide show bikes
2010 40' Express Cruisers Yacht

Last edited by Feelin Nauti; 01-09-2019 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
bmwx1sq145.00
      01-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #228
Feelin Nauti
Feelin Nauti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok. So if I go with the Focal BMW kit, would it be plug and play? Or would I still need to get all of the external amps and DSPs? I want to increase the SQ but I don’t want to spend $3K doing it if I don’t have to...
Yes a better amp and DSP will greatly improve things as you will have more power for the system. But it will really be noticed at higher volumes. At lower and mid volume it will be a cleaner and more detailed listening experience.

You can start with place like mentioned but ultimately doing all of them will be a better option.

If you are adding subs JL Audio is good and a JL Audio amp is good too. But for true sound quality there are better choices in a class A clean amp. Class D has its limitations and digital has them as well. Digital are better as far as voltage drain but I would think with a simple system you will listen while driving so voltage drain is not much of a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #229
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

I would start with better sound insulation rather than AMPS...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #230
Feelin Nauti
Feelin Nauti
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks in advance!!
The IFBMW line is from the polyglass line... Its a cheaper line and not the same quality as the Kevlar K2P line. Big difference.

If you have a local Focal dealer go listen for your self. They may not have these exact speakers setup in a display board but they may have ployglass and Kevlar K2P.

I also suggest having your own music while listen to speakers so you can hear the exact same clear quality song on the different lines of speakers. I don't know your music taste and mine is all over the place from Heavy metal to pop to top 40 and even country. But I love some smooth jazz and jazz vocals.

If you want a great reference CD... Any artist you like that was recorded on the Sheffield Lab label will be superior to the normal mass produced CD's

One I go back to, too tune and show off a system is Clair Marlow- Let it go on Sheffield Lab. They are getting harder to find new and are not cheap but your ears will greatly thank you for the experience. Its great for a long road trip to listen to all of it song after song. Track 6 is all instruments and you will hear things in detailed speaker that you loose in mid speakers.

The Focal replacement 8" midbass drivers would be a good replacement as well but in no way will it be a replacement for a true dedicated subwoofer.. it would just be a good midbass driver.

Last edited by Feelin Nauti; 01-09-2019 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
bmwx1sq145.00
Jrunr187.50
      01-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #231
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport White

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
What have people found to be the best sound deadening products, ideally to improve audio sound and to decrease outside noise. How hard is it to sound deaden wheel wells?
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
iND Black Emblems and Badge
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:02 PM   #232
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlengle View Post
Quote:
What have people found to be the best sound deadening products, ideally to improve audio sound and to decrease outside noise. How hard is it to sound deaden wheel wells?
No, the work you need to do to sound deaden the floors will be insane. Also your floor has anywhere from 2-4" of foam to reduce sound. Sound deadening reduces resonating frequencies and helps with mid bass. Your mid bass is under your front seats. If you are not upgrading them, then I wouldn't even bother. If you want to reduce outside you will need to look at mass loaded vinyl on top of sound deadening. Our x5s are not compact cars that are like tin cans. If you have RFT that is more then likely your cause.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #233
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
No, the work you need to do to sound deaden the floors will be insane. Also your floor has anywhere from 2-4" of foam to reduce sound. Sound deadening reduces resonating frequencies and helps with mid bass. Your mid bass is under your front seats. If you are not upgrading them, then I wouldn't even bother. If you want to reduce outside you will need to look at mass loaded vinyl on top of sound deadening. Our x5s are not compact cars that are like tin cans. If you have RFT that is more then likely your cause.
I put dynamat on the door cards. Made a big difference in eliminating rattles and vibration sounds when you crank up the volume. I would highly recommend. Easy to install and not expensive and you will already have the door cards off so why not? It certainly can’t hurt
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:01 PM   #234
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
Quote:
I put dynamat on the door cards. Made a big difference in eliminating rattles and vibration sounds when you crank up the volume. I would highly recommend. Easy to install and not expensive and you will already have the door cards off so why not? It certainly can’t hurt
Agreed the doors can always use more deadening. But as for the wheel well, it is a huge PITA.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:26 PM   #235
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. No RFT's but I do have 22x12 wheels in rear and 22x10 in the front...a lot of tire to make noise.
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:15 PM   #236
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Install was completed today and it sounds great. I just hope I don't go deaf now that I find myself cranking up the volume. I feel like the HK is doing just fine keeping up the highs with the new sub addition.

I adjusted my EQ to match the picture in an earlier post but I might need to adjust as the highs might be too high...just not sure which levels need adjusting.

Definitely recommend a sub with amp upgrade as it fills in the lows that are normally missing. I installed the bass knob in the left storage area that opens up so it's fully concealed.
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 1
bmwx1sq145.00
      01-11-2019, 11:30 PM   #237
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Install was completed today and it sounds great. I just hope I don't go deaf now that I find myself cranking up the volume. I feel like the HK is doing just fine keeping up the highs with the new sub addition.

I adjusted my EQ to match the picture in an earlier post but I might need to adjust as the highs might be too high...just not sure which levels need adjusting.

Definitely recommend a sub with amp upgrade as it fills in the lows that are normally missing. I installed the bass knob in the left storage area that opens up so it's fully concealed.
Adjust it to your liking. Everybody's ears are different.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 03:06 AM   #238
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Please post pics of your install
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #239
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Install Pics

Here are some pics. Tough to see the bass knob, it's on the top.
Attached Images

22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #240
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:

This install looks great!! Did you only use 1 channel of that amplifier? Are you planning on using the other 2 channels? If so, on what!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #241
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This install looks great!! Did you only use 1 channel of that amplifier? Are you planning on using the other 2 channels? If so, on what!
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, currently only using one channel. I got a great deal on the amp and sub ($400) so I went for it. No current plan for the additional channels. The sub with the HK sounds great, sub really fills out the sound... of sure I need to invest in additional speakers to use those channels. If I do anything audio related it will be to install sound deadening material.
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #242
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Is there a DIY to install an amp and sub? I'm considering rolling the dice on the JL stealthbox for the E70. I've never done audio work but I could do the install with a DIY for dummies.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0