01-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #243
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Is there a DIY to install an amp and sub? I'm considering rolling the dice on the JL stealthbox for the E70. I've never done audio work but I could do the install with a DIY for dummies.
Caraudiofab on YouTube has some videos that you watch to install the amp and sub. Has for the harness it's plug and play. You search for a e90/92 install video to give you an idea of what it looks like.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 05:22 PM   #244
Alos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlengle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Quote:
Install was completed today and it sounds great. I just hope I don't go deaf now that I find myself cranking up the volume. I feel like the HK is doing just fine keeping up the highs with the new sub addition.

I adjusted my EQ to match the picture in an earlier post but I might need to adjust as the highs might be too high...just not sure which levels need adjusting.

Definitely recommend a sub with amp upgrade as it fills in the lows that are normally missing. I installed the bass knob in the left storage area that opens up so it's fully concealed.

This install looks great!! Did you only use 1 channel of that amplifier? Are you planning on using the other 2 channels? If so, on what!
Quote:
Quote:
Install was completed today and it sounds great. I just hope I don't go deaf now that I find myself cranking up the volume. I feel like the HK is doing just fine keeping up the highs with the new sub addition.

I adjusted my EQ to match the picture in an earlier post but I might need to adjust as the highs might be too high...just not sure which levels need adjusting.

Definitely recommend a sub with amp upgrade as it fills in the lows that are normally missing. I installed the bass knob in the left storage area that opens up so it's fully concealed.

This install looks great!! Did you only use 1 channel of that amplifier? Are you planning on using the other 2 channels? If so, on what!
Yes, currently only using one channel. I got a great deal on the amp and sub ($400) so I went for it. No current plan for the additional channels. The sub with the HK sounds great, sub really fills out the sound... of sure I need to invest in additional speakers to use those channels. If I do anything audio related it will be to install sound deadening material.
Try going to Home Depot and put some tool box liner under your sub and it will decrease your vibrating/noise significantly and doesn't really look that bad or cost more than 10 bucks. Pic before and after.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #245
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alos View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, currently only using one channel. I got a great deal on the amp and sub ($400) so I went for it. No current plan for the additional channels. The sub with the HK sounds great, sub really fills out the sound... of sure I need to invest in additional speakers to use those channels. If I do anything audio related it will be to install sound deadening material.
Try going to Home Depot and put some tool box liner under your sub and it will decrease your vibrating/noise significantly and doesn't really look that bad or cost more than 10 bucks. Pic before and after.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Did you see a noticeable difference adding tool box liner? What attributes does it have to decrease noise, etc? Did you just place on layer under sub?
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
iND Black Emblems and Badge
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #246
Alos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Did you see a noticeable difference adding tool box liner? What attributes does it have to decrease noise, etc? Did you just place on layer under sub?
I think it made a reasonable difference. Less noise vibration overall. I am also running on 20in rft and I think it improved that as well. I layered the entire trunk space as you see. And I did 2 layers under the sub you have more than enough room. Also I think the base is more tight as well as the resonance. And if you cut it right all you need is one roll. I literally did it in the parking lot of Home Depot since I didn't know how much I would need.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #247
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I think it made a reasonable difference. Less noise vibration overall. I am also running on 20in rft and I think it improved that as well. I layered the entire trunk space as you see. And I did 2 layers under the sub you have more than enough room. Also I think the base is more tight as well as the resonance. And if you cut it right all you need is one roll. I literally did it in the parking lot of Home Depot since I didn't know how much I would need.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Worth a shot since it's so cheap...Sunday project just added to my list.
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #248
Alos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Also those white labels you have on the right corner either remove or reinforce with clear packing tape. Since as you saw on my pic the flap caused some noise and when I removed it aka repositioned the tag to another spot and reinforced it. Than no issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #249
Alos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Worth a shot since it's so cheap...Sunday project just added to my list.
When you do it let me know your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 02:34 AM   #250
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

So, what’s the verdict? Did it make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #251
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I went to Home Depot and they did not carry in store, they carry Husky tool box liner online only or maybe just not at my location. I have not ordered yet, lost momentum. I did do some more research and found an interesting option that has mass loaded vinyl (noise barrier) and a foam decoupler. It's cheap but shipping is not, almost same as the product.

https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/n...ier/bardec.htm

The cost for the Barrier Decoupler would be $2.29/SF.

Each sheet – 24" x 54" is 9/SF

2 Sheets would be $41.22 plus shipping - $39.76 to my house in Bellevue, Wa.
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #252
Alos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went to Home Depot and they did not carry in store, they carry Husky tool box liner online only or maybe just not at my location. I have not ordered yet, lost momentum. I did do some more research and found an interesting option that has mass loaded vinyl (noise barrier) and a foam decoupler. It's cheap but shipping is not, almost same as the product.

https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/n...ier/bardec.htm

The cost for the Barrier Decoupler would be $2.29/SF.

Each sheet – 24" x 54" is 9/SF

2 Sheets would be $41.22 plus shipping - $39.76 to my house in Bellevue, Wa.
I used the husky
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #253
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
I would start with better sound insulation rather than AMPS...
I ended up ordering https://www.amazon.com/Soundsulate-M...ds=Soundsulate

I will post results when it arrives. This will hopefully help as a sound barrier, I did not need decoupling.
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:52 AM   #254
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:

I will post results when it arrives. This will hopefully help as a sound barrier, I did not need decoupling.
Just curious but, at this price, why not just use DynaMat or equivalent?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 05:17 AM   #255
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

Quote:
Quote:

The MLV is what you use are a sound barrier. Dynamat is more for sound deadening, which the rattling out and reduces resinating. In sound quality comp vehicles use both. Deadener and then the MLV over it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #256
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Not sure what price the link stated but I got a 4x4 piece for $60 and I wanted barrier to start versus sound deadening. I also wanted to just lay a piece down versus having an adhesive layer.
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 12:07 PM   #257
Eurogreek
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.5

I looked at your sub setup! I love it! I just have a few questions if you don’t mind? Did you remove your spare tire to add the sub? Did you build the box or was it a pre-fab? I’ve seen those built out out a stereo shop called car toys here in Colorado. Did you cut out a hole or anything above the sub for vibration? If not, how does it sound having the rear trunk lid over the sub? Other than your sub, amp, bass knob, what else did you need/use? Lastly, I have a 18 3.5. I pretty sure I have two batteries in the back. Someone told me one controls the stop/start feature in the car.

I took it to a local car stereo shop here to get a quote for a JL sub, amp bass knob and they quoted me $4800. Of course it would have been a custom job adding the sub on the rear cubby where the fuse boxes go. $4800 seems very high.

I have a custom box with 2/8” JL subs that my wife had in her X3 that I might use. Ran with a punch amp. I took it to our box store Car Toys and they said they can install my existing setup for around $600. Obviously I loose the stealth look. They do have setups like yours that I can add where the spare tire goes, hence all my questions!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #258
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Whose set up are you referring to?
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #259
Eurogreek
Private
Rep

Yours! I’m sorry for the mix up! First time posting on this site. I saw your post on page 11 and really loved it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:09 AM   #260
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogreek View Post
I looked at your sub setup! I love it! I just have a few questions if you don’t mind? Did you remove your spare tire to add the sub? Did you build the box or was it a pre-fab? I’ve seen those built out out a stereo shop called car toys here in Colorado. Did you cut out a hole or anything above the sub for vibration? If not, how does it sound having the rear trunk lid over the sub? Other than your sub, amp, bass knob, what else did you need/use? Lastly, I have a 18 3.5. I pretty sure I have two batteries in the back. Someone told me one controls the stop/start feature in the car.

I took it to a local car stereo shop here to get a quote for a JL sub, amp bass knob and they quoted me $4800. Of course it would have been a custom job adding the sub on the rear cubby where the fuse boxes go. $4800 seems very high.

I have a custom box with 2/8” JL subs that my wife had in her X3 that I might use. Ran with a punch amp. I took it to our box store Car Toys and they said they can install my existing setup for around $600. Obviously I loose the stealth look. They do have setups like yours that I can add where the spare tire goes, hence all my questions!

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
I looked at your sub setup! I love it! I just have a few questions if you don't mind? Did you remove your spare tire to add the sub? Did you build the box or was it a pre-fab? I've seen those built out out a stereo shop called car toys here in Colorado. Did you cut out a hole or anything above the sub for vibration? If not, how does it sound having the rear trunk lid over the sub? Other than your sub, amp, bass knob, what else did you need/use? Lastly, I have a 18 3.5. I pretty sure I have two batteries in the back. Someone told me one controls the stop/start feature in the car.

I have a custom box with 2/8" JL subs that my wife had in her X3 that I might use. Ran with a punch amp. I took it to our box store Car Toys and they said they can install my existing setup for around $600. Obviously I loose the stealth look. They do have setups like yours that I can add where the spare tire goes, hence all my questions!

Thanks in advance!
I did not have a spare tire but yes, the sub sits below the trunk lid where the spare would go. The area was already lined with carpet. The box is pre-built by JL, so the speaker matches the box. It fits perfect with a few inches to spare between lid. No holes cut and sounds great but if you did a custom cut out I'm sure you could get more volume but definitely not needed. I also installed a LC2i so the sub amp can connect to HK amp. I got this installed by Car Toys for $750. I brought the amp and sub which I bought for $400 on OfferUp, so all in I'm at $1150. I would definitely start browsing OfferUp/Craigslist. The stealthiness is great and I loose no cargo space.
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 02:47 AM   #261
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

What is the model of the Sub and the Amp you installed? Did you get a 10”, 12”, or 13” sub?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #262
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is the model of the Sub and the Amp you installed? Did you get a 10”, 12”, or 13” sub?
Quote:
What is the model of the Sub and the Amp you installed? Did you get a 10", 12", or 13" sub?
12" sub (JL Audio CS112LG-TW3) to a JL Audio Amp (XD500/3v2.

You can just get a mono amp...I think this thread has some options.
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #263
Eurogreek
Private
Rep

Do you how much that setup would have cost buying everything from car toys? Doesn’t the back rattle with the sub over the trunk cover? Why did you put the base knob in the glove rather than the arm rest compartment?
What is the purpose of the LC2i?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #264
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you how much that setup would have cost buying everything from car toys? Doesn’t the back rattle with the sub over the trunk cover? Why did you put the base knob in the glove rather than the arm rest compartment?

Thanks
Quote:
Do you how much that setup would have cost buying everything from car toys? Doesn't the back rattle with the sub over the trunk cover? Why did you put the base knob in the glove rather than the arm rest compartment?

Thanks
Well, I just had the amp and sub which new they are probably around $1k so you should be able to get what I have for under $2k out the door.

No rattle.

I wanted knob hidden so everything kept stock look.

LC2i allows the factory amp work with the new sub amp.
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
Appreciate 0