02-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #287
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Interested to hear your thoughts. I wanted to start with upgrading my under seat 8" 'subs' but I was looking at the Etons on Ebay and they are 4ohm compared to Bavsound's 8ohm. I'm so clueless on audio, I don't really know what/how that would effect things.
I was wondering the same. Do you think the 4ohm load would cause a problem for the factory HK amp?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #288
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Interested to hear your thoughts. I wanted to start with upgrading my under seat 8" 'subs' but I was looking at the Etons on Ebay and they are 4ohm compared to Bavsound's 8ohm. I'm so clueless on audio, I don't really know what/how that would effect things.
I was wondering the same. Do you think the 4ohm load would cause a problem for the factory HK amp?
I m not sure how much damage it will do. But realistically the amp will run hotter due to the lower ohm load. You might be ok running them but don't except not to cause damage with long time use.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #289
JaviDrama
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 35i

Garage List
Sub enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx1sq View Post
I could make you a single box for that back corner cubby. You would need to tell me what speaker you are going to want to use.

As for a separate amp for the under the seat subs. It would not make that big of a different unless you have different speakers to handle the increased power.

What about a JL audio 10W3v3. Mounting depth is 5.93in/151mm
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #290
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaviDrama View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx1sq View Post
I could make you a single box for that back corner cubby. You would need to tell me what speaker you are going to want to use.

As for a separate amp for the under the seat subs. It would not make that big of a different unless you have different speakers to handle the increased power.

Yes a 10w3 will work
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #291
JimmyDee
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6-M

Full Audio Upgrade

I did a full audio upgrade on my vehicle. Lots of changes throughout the process, but here are some shots of the final product:

Hertz Mille 10" Subwoofer (the sub box spans the width of the vehicle - but is dropped down on the right to accomadate the DSP)
Helix DSP-Ultra
Mosconi PRO 5/30 and Mosconi PRO 4/10 amplifiers.

PRO 5/30:
90 watts @ 4 ohm - to each tweeter (Focal TBM)
185 watts @ 4 ohm - to each midbass (W800-NEO)
660 watts @ 4 ohm - to the sub (Mille 2500.3)

PRO 4/10:
120 watts @ 4 ohm - to each front door midrange (Esotar 430)
120 watts @ 4 ohm - to the rear doors (Audiofrog GB)

Focal Utopia TBM - Tweeter:

Dynaudio Esotar 430 - Front Door Midrange:

Audio-Development W800NEO - 8" Underseat Midbass:

Helix SDMI25 (to tap into the BMW OEM fibre optic network):
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/h...ssories/sdmi25
  • If you're going to do any kind of serious audio upgrade, then this is the FIRST piece to buy.
  • It replaces your factory amplifier, and mounts in the same location as your factory amp. (no, you can't use it in conjunction with your factory amp)
  • It flawlessly integrates into the BMW Multimedia System, and gives a pure flat audio output signal via Toslink Optical.
  • From this unit, you run the Toslink optical to a DSP, which then converts everything to analog RCA output (to your amps).
  • The DSP is really the heart of the system. It does a LOT more than just convert optical to analog... but I'll leave it for you to figure out.
  • In the picture; the Toslink Fibre Output (to the DSP) is on the left, the BMW Fibre Input Cables are on the top right, and the Power Cables are on the bottom right.
  • The blue wire (bottom right) is the remote switching wire. It sends the signal to switch on/off the DSP and the amplifiers.
  • Everything works just as it normally would with the factory system: volume control, bluetooth, navigation, door chimes, etc. Flawless integration.

Helix DSP-Ultra:
You can use any brand of DSP with the above SDMI25 - but I have a preference for Helix products (best of the best).
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/h...sors/dsp-ultra

Cabling goes as follows:

Toslink Fibre Input at the back of the unit (single black/red plug from the SDMI25).
Then on the front, the RCA outputs (from left to right) are:
  • RCA Front Tweeter pair - output to 5/30 amplifier
  • RCA Front Midrange pair - to 4/10 amplifier
  • RCA Front (underseat) Midwoofer pair - to 5/30 amplifier
  • RCA Rear Door pair - to 4/10 amplifier
  • RCA Subwoofer pair - to 5/30 amplifier
  • You can see there is a spare set of RCA outputs not used - those are for the front center channel (which I don't use)

As mentioned; I've made a number of changes along the way (including a complete rebuild of the trunk layout).
Full build log can be found here: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa...7-2020.423805/

Last edited by JimmyDee; 06-05-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 4
GeorgeR276.00
FCX52382.00
scotty339147.00
      07-13-2021, 12:07 AM   #292
Breakmywalletf15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15

Some legit builds in here! Waiting for my sub to come (Thursday). Grabbed the basser box from the classifieds and a 8w3v3, built a bracket for the amp. Just needed something better than the stock sound. Should be done Thursday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FCX52382.00
      07-13-2021, 11:40 PM   #293
Breakmywalletf15
Private First Class
Rep

For the life of me, I can't find an accessory wire that only turns on with the ignition. What is everyone using for remote? Ive never had an issue finding a source but this is ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 05:48 AM   #294
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
This is a great idea. I should have asked for these!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #295
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
I did a full audio upgrade on my vehicle. Lots of changes throughout the process, but here are some shots of the final product:

Hertz Mille 10" Subwoofer (the sub box spans the width of the vehicle - but is dropped down on the right to accomadate the DSP)
Helix DSP-Ultra
Mosconi PRO 5/30 and Mosconi PRO 4/10 amplifiers.

PRO 5/30:
90 watts @ 4 ohm - to each tweeter (Focal TBM)
185 watts @ 4 ohm - to each midbass (W800-NEO)
660 watts @ 4 ohm - to the sub (Mille 2500.3)

PRO 4/10:
120 watts @ 4 ohm - to each front door midrange (Esotar 430)
120 watts @ 4 ohm - to the rear doors (Audiofrog GB)

Focal Utopia TBM - Tweeter:

Dynaudio Esotar 430 - Front Door Midrange:

Audio-Development W800NEO - 8" Underseat Midbass:

Helix SDMI25 (to tap into the BMW OEM fibre optic network):
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/h...ssories/sdmi25
  • If you're going to do any kind of serious audio upgrade, then this is the FIRST piece to buy.
  • It replaces your factory amplifier, and mounts in the same location as your factory amp. (no, you can't use it in conjunction with your factory amp)
  • It flawlessly integrates into the BMW Multimedia System, and gives a pure flat audio output signal via Toslink Optical.
  • From this unit, you run the Toslink optical to a DSP, which then converts everything to analog RCA output (to your amps).
  • The DSP is really the heart of the system. It does a LOT more than just convert optical to analog... but I'll leave it for you to figure out.
  • In the picture; the Toslink Fibre Output (to the DSP) is on the left, the BMW Fibre Input Cables are on the top right, and the Power Cables are on the bottom right.
  • The blue wire (bottom right) is the remote switching wire. It sends the signal to switch on/off the DSP and the amplifiers.
  • Everything works just as it normally would with the factory system: volume control, bluetooth, navigation, door chimes, etc. Flawless integration.

Helix DSP-Ultra:
You can use any brand of DSP with the above SDMI25 - but I have a preference for Helix products (best of the best).
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/h...sors/dsp-ultra

Cabling goes as follows:

Toslink Fibre Input at the back of the unit (single black/red plug from the SDMI25).
Then on the front, the RCA outputs (from left to right) are:
  • RCA Front Tweeter pair - output to 5/30 amplifier
  • RCA Front Midrange pair - to 4/10 amplifier
  • RCA Front (underseat) Midwoofer pair - to 5/30 amplifier
  • RCA Rear Door pair - to 4/10 amplifier
  • RCA Subwoofer pair - to 5/30 amplifier
  • You can see there is a spare set of RCA outputs not used - those are for the front center channel (which I don't use)

As mentioned; I've made a number of changes along the way (including a complete rebuild of the trunk layout).
Full build log can be found here: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa...7-2020.423805/
Good quality stuff…. I have the Helix interface you are correct bout that very much needed…I had a helix dsp veryyyyy confusing software great product it is best of the best but very confusing lol…. My System includes

2 optima yellow tops/along with factory two batteries
6 PRV AUDIO 5MR450-NDY 4 225 Watt RMS EACH
On a Taramp 2000x4 Amplifier
2 Massive Hippo XLR 15" For Bass on BASS 8K TARAMP AMP
Remove the underneath seat subs for Massive Shallow Mount Midbass 8"
4 Tweeters are replaced with Skar Audio 1" Dome teeeters on 400x4 Taramp
CHUCHERO- B&C 10" Mid bass 700 watt RMS each

My truck is a party sound lol!!

DSP I had was helix mini I then upgraded channels so I went with Audio Control DM-810 with Bluetooth adapter very good DSP Helix is better but the helix with 13 Channels was too expensive for me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #296
Breakmywalletf15
Private First Class
Rep

Any one want to share where they tapped the remote wire?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #297
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

JimmyDee helped me a lot with an aftermarket sound system design. I didn’t have his skill or patience so used a professional shop for the install other than building the subwoofer enclosure myself.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...17&postcount=8

Below is a link to the entire thread.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25767313
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #298
Breakmywalletf15
Private First Class
Rep

Got it all set up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
tlow982188.00
FCX52382.00
      07-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #299
Robg11197
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakmywalletf15 View Post
Got it all set up.
Quote:
Got it all set up.
How does it sound? Any new rattles???
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #300
Breakmywalletf15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robg11197 View Post
Quote:
Got it all set up.
Quote:
Got it all set up.
How does it sound? Any new rattles???
Sounds great. Actually a little more bass than expected, so that was great. No rattles
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 04:00 PM   #301
Shoop405
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
This is a great idea. I should have asked for these!
I just completed the complete stage 1 and underseat ghost sub replacements of BAVsound. I still have the factory amps. I did however extensively use BlackHole Sound deadening on all 4 doors. That has been the most dramatic change to the vehicle. I would highly recommend to everyone. That being said, I am not that impressed with the BAVsound. It is a decent upgrade but not super impressive. They certainly don't sound like Focals, nor should they at the price point. My main complaint now is the lack of Bass. I have completed the 12 hour break in. I think my next step will be to add 2 of those shallow mount JL 10TW3-D4. Thinking some decent power to the subs and a bass control and the system will have a complete sound reproduction range. Then finally, the question remains. Spend $1500 for the BAVsound amp or get something better and customize my DSP.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 06:09 PM   #302
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoop405 View Post
I just completed the complete stage 1 and underseat ghost sub replacements of BAVsound. I still have the factory amps. I did however extensively use BlackHole Sound deadening on all 4 doors. That has been the most dramatic change to the vehicle. I would highly recommend to everyone. That being said, I am not that impressed with the BAVsound. It is a decent upgrade but not super impressive. They certainly don't sound like Focals, nor should they at the price point. My main complaint now is the lack of Bass. I have completed the 12 hour break in. I think my next step will be to add 2 of those shallow mount JL 10TW3-D4. Thinking some decent power to the subs and a bass control and the system will have a complete sound reproduction range. Then finally, the question remains. Spend $1500 for the BAVsound amp or get something better and customize my DSP.

Good feedback here. Doesn’t Fischer Audio make a plug n play amp for these vehicles. Should be half the price of that Bavsound unit and accomplish the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 11:17 PM   #303
F87 S55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Wiring Question

I have a self powered sub that I removed from my former e53 X5 and I want to install it into my new-to-me 2018 X5 35d with the Base 645 Radio Control US, 655 Satellite Radio and 676 HiFi Loudspeaker Sys. What I did on the former X5 was to tap/splice into the wires that ran to the factory sub and then thru a PAC LP7-2 to convert to Line Level input. Attached the power straight to the battery with an inline fuse and ran a ground to a ground stud. Has been Working great for many years. So, Curious if anyone know a good location to tap into the sub level wires? I can figure out the power.ground. I'm guessing I will hear at the speakers under the front seats, but I am hoping to find something in the rear side compartments, like my former X5, near the amp.

Thanks in advance should anyone have an answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 09:19 PM   #304
straightgq@hotmail.com
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 xDrive35i

I want to upgrade the speakers and amp in my F16. Debating if I want to take it to a shop or replace everything myself. The step by step videos on youtube by Bavsound and Bimmertech make the process look easy. I do not want to make any modifications to the system, just simply want to replace the stock HiFi speakers and AMP with high quality stuff. Looking at Focal speakers and amp. Can anyone attest to the simplicity (or difficulty) in replacing everything yourself?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 05:55 AM   #305
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightgq@hotmail.com View Post
I want to upgrade the speakers and amp in my F16. Debating if I want to take it to a shop or replace everything myself. The step by step videos on youtube by Bavsound and Bimmertech make the process look easy. I do not want to make any modifications to the system, just simply want to replace the stock HiFi speakers and AMP with high quality stuff. Looking at Focal speakers and amp. Can anyone attest to the simplicity (or difficulty) in replacing everything yourself?
I took mine to a shop [Focal in my case]. They also installed the dampening in the doors. I would not risk doing it. They connected all the ambient lighting wires and everything else back and no sign that anything was removed or changed.

The sound is better than the original in every way possible!
Appreciate 1
F87 S55158.00
      08-05-2021, 07:32 AM   #306
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
I took mine to a show [Focal in my case]. They also installed the dampening in the doors. I would not risk doing it. They connected all the ambient lighting wires and everything else back and no sign that anything was removed or changed.

The sound is better than the original in every way possible!
Agree - take it to a shop that does it. Unless you've taken apart doors and dash pieces, I would not try it. BavAudio is the same way, they send dampening material with the install as well. I did not do the amp, but overall quality/clarity vs the std hifi is better.
Appreciate 1
F87 S55158.00
      08-07-2021, 06:11 PM   #307
F87 S55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
Agree - take it to a shop that does it. Unless you've taken apart doors and dash pieces, I would not try it. BavAudio is the same way, they send dampening material with the install as well. I did not do the amp, but overall quality/clarity vs the std hifi is better.
Thats good to know. I have the HK in my 2005 330ci ZHP and replaced all the 10+ year old speakers with the BavSound speakers only, Dynamat and no amp. The sound quality, clarity, tightness of the mids was all greatly improved. I did end up adding a sub to round it all out, but overall a much better overall sound. Now, For my F15 with the factory HiFi system (not even the HK) I would guess a speaker upgrade would make a difference, but they don't sound too bad right now. I am wanting to get the sub installed and see where it stands. I am guessing it will get some replacements, but I might go with an amp and Focals as they do seem be a favorite choice for the more discerning ears I know.

I keep reminding myself that a Car/Truck is NOT ever the best environment to re-create sound and play music. But, the other side says, but why not try to make it a good place to listen!?!? Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by F87 S55; 08-07-2021 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #308
Shoop405
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Quote:

Good feedback here. Doesn’t Fischer Audio make a plug n play amp for these vehicles. Should be half the price of that Bavsound unit and accomplish the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Quote:

Good feedback here. Doesn't Fischer Audio make a plug n play amp for these vehicles. Should be half the price of that Bavsound unit and accomplish the same thing.
Thanks. I will look into the fisher. I have had the BAVsound complete system for 2 weeks now. The break in period is completed. Sound is a bit fuller than originally described but still missing that low end
Appreciate 0