BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Merino Leather Care

I'm posting this at the request of someone on this forum who contacted me for advice on leather care. They suggested, after my response to them, that I post the following for everyone, as they may find it useful, as well.

I did a good bit of research on leather cleaners and protectants before taking delivery of my X5 M. In the end, I opted to go with the LeatherMaster products.

I bought six products, but would only buy five knowing what I know now. The Mild Cleaner isn't worth purchasing, the Strong Cleaner does a much better job, and can be diluted, if needed. The products I purchased are as follows:

Strong Cleaner
Leather Protection Cream (Matte)
Leather Barrier
Leather Dye Transfer Cleaner
Leather Vital
Leather Soft Cleaner (skip buying this one)

The Protection Cream (Matte) provides a synthetic barrier between the leather and anything it comes in contact with. It is a matte finish, exactly the same as the Merino Leather has when you first take delivery of the X5 M. It doesn't change the feel of the leather at all, but there is most definitely a barrier formed after using it. Water will bead on the leather, and not absorb, and the same goes for oils from the skin. This barrier prevents staining of the leather, and all future cleaning is simply removing dirt/dye/oils from this layer, and not the leather itself. Make sure to order the Matte version, as the regular version is very shiny, and will drastically change the look of the Merino Leather.

Leather Barrier is a heavier version of Protection Cream. It, too, dries to a matte finish, but it will, initially after use, change the feel of the leather, but this goes away after sitting in the seats a few times. Initially, it feels like a plastic-like coating, as in it squeaks under the fingers if rubbed hard, but as I said, this "feel" does go away quickly with use of the seats. Leather Barrier cannot be used on dark colored leather, but it works well on the Mugello Red. On dark leather, it leaves a milky looking coating. I put the Leather Barrier on the seat bottoms, and the side bolsters one rubs against getting into and out of the vehicle. These are the areas where I figured jeans, etc. would leave the most damage, and required a heavier protective coating.

Leather Vital is a nourishing cream that can be used after a thorough cleaning with the Strong Cleaner, and before application of the Protection Cream and/or Leather Barrier.

I have not used the Leather Dye Transfer Cleaner, but have read it does a decent job, and I figured I'd order it with the other products, so I'd be prepared should something happen.

For cleaning, I use one of the blue disc shaped cleaning sponges from Griot's Garage, dampened and frothed-up with the Strong Cleaner to do the scrubbing, and I follow it with a clean microfiber to remove the lifted dirt from the leather. After each cleaning, I reapply the Leather Barrier, and Leather Protection Cream (Matte).

I purchased the items from two different locations. One was directly from the company that makes the products, and the other was from a company that sells the products. For some reason, I was unable to find all the products on the company's website. I wondered if, perhaps, they don't import all of the items, as we know BMWNA has a tendency to do to us by not importing all of BMWAG's items. Uniters is the company that makes/sells the products. The websites I purchased the items from are as follows:

shop.unitersna.com
leatherworldtech.com

LeatherMasters is a sex site/sex products company, and LeatherMaster is the leather care company, so searching for them can be tricky, as one wants to add the "s" at the end. I made that mistake in the beginning!

After 8k miles, and eight months of use, my seats look as they did the day I picked the vehicle up. My local dealership recently sold a used F85 in Donington Grey with Mugello Red interior that had 7k miles on it, and the seats looked like they were from a car with 100k miles on it. It was amazing seeing that vehicle for comparison to mine. It definitely highlighted how well these LeatherMaster products work.

Attached to this post are photos of the products I use, and photos I took of my well used Mugello Red seats. They are beginning to get a bit of a sheen to them, which indicates to me it's time to clean them, and reapply the protection cream, and leather barrier. I think, despite their, and the car's need of a cleaning right now, they have held up fairly well to the abuse I put them through!
Attached Images

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 01-15-2016 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 3
      01-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Thanks for posting. Looks great.
      01-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Great write up, thanks for posting!! I placed my order and am eagerly waiting to clean my Mugello Red interior.

Now go clean your floor mats and carpets!
      01-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3
Great write up, thanks for posting!! I placed my order and am eagerly waiting to clean my Mugello Red interior.

Now go clean your floor mats and carpets!
The whole car is a bit of a mess at the moment. I keep saying how I need to clean it, but something always comes up that delays me. We've got three dogs, in case you couldn't tell from the dog hair imbedded in the carpeting, and they've been in the car a lot recently.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 05:39 AM   #5
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Thanks! Super helpful, as always.

I pulled the trigger on this and am eagerly awaiting the products. But, as I told one of my close friends who laughed at me for wearing dark jeans in my car, I'd rather enjoy the car than always worry about the leather. I am sure this will help me keep it pristine.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

great write up and totally appreciated. couple questions: do you think your same treatment approach would work well with an aragon brown interior? It's still a pretty light color so I'd imagine it would respond similarly to the mugello. Also, did you apply this when you purchased the vehicle new? I've got 1700 miles on the car and the leather is showing a little wear - any suggestions on a different care approach or just follow the same steps you outlined? Thx!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
great write up and totally appreciated. couple questions: do you think your same treatment approach would work well with an aragon brown interior? It's still a pretty light color so I'd imagine it would respond similarly to the mugello. Also, did you apply this when you purchased the vehicle new? I've got 1700 miles on the car and the leather is showing a little wear - any suggestions on a different care approach or just follow the same steps you outlined? Thx!
I applied the protection cream and leather barrier as soon as I got the car back from being wrapped in XPel. I dropped the car off to be wrapped an hour after taking delivery.

I would have no concerns using these products on Aragon Brown. It's about the same color weight as Mugello. Even the protection cream, the lighter of the two products, if not applied in an even layer, will causing that milky white streaking I mentioned in my initial post. It really is all about even application, and multiple coats being better than one initial thick coating. If following that advice, one can use both of the products on a fairly dark colored leather. The protection cream, if applied evenly, works great on the black leather pieces in the vehicle. Leather barrier is definitely not meant to be used on black.

I see no reason the products wouldn't clean the leather in your car, with so few miles of use. Since being wow'd with these products in my X5 M, I've used them on other vehicles that weren't protected from the beginning, with decent effect. Make sure you take the strong cleaner and froth/suds it up on a sponge to scrub with, and have a soft clean cloth to follow it with, to wipe away the dirt and oils you've lifted with the cleaner. For whatever reason, making sure the cleaner is frothed up on the sponge does seem to make a difference over just dampening the sponge. It also requires less cleaning product when frothing. I have, also, used a water dampened cloth after the strong cleaner, and before the dry microfiber, if the area to be cleaned is particularly soiled.

Make sure not to forget to clean, and apply the protection cream to the steering wheel. It does a great job keeping the wheel from absorbing the oils from hands constantly in contact with the leather there. It definitely helps keep the matte finish of the leather on the steering wheel.

I was nervous the first time I used all of these products, but after a few months of use, I can say it's not rocket science, and the products do a good job, without worry of damage to the leather. I also learned the leather is a bit more durable than I'd given it credit for.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 01-17-2016 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I applied the protection cream and leather barrier as soon as I got the car back from being wrapped in XPel. I dropped the car off to be wrapped an hour after taking delivery.

I would have no concerns using these products on Aragon Brown. It's about the same color weight as Mugello. Even the protection cream, the lighter of the two products, if not applied in an even layer, will causing that milky white streaking I mentioned in my initial post. It really is all about even application, and multiple coats being better than one initial thick coating. If following that advice, one can use both of the products on a fairly dark colored leather. The protection cream, if applied evenly, works great on the black leather pieces in the vehicle. Leather barrier is definitely not meant to be used on black.

I see no reason the products wouldn't clean the leather in your car, with so few miles of use. Since being wow'd with these products in my X5 M, I've used them on other vehicles that weren't protected from the beginning, with decent effect. Make sure you take the strong cleaner and froth/suds it up on a sponge to scrub with, and have a soft clean cloth to follow it with, to wipe away the dirt and oils you've lifted with the cleaner. For whatever reason, making sure the cleaner is frothed up on the sponge does seem to make a difference over just dampening the sponge. It also requires less cleaning product when frothing. I have, also, used a water dampened cloth after the strong cleaner, and before the dry microfiber, if the area to be cleaned is particularly soiled.

Make sure not to forget to clean, and apply the protection cream to the steering wheel. It does a great job keeping the wheel from absorbing the oils from hands constantly in contact with the leather there. It definitely helps keep the matte finish of the leather on the steering wheel.

I was nervous the first time I used all of these products, but after a few months of use, I can say it's not rocket science, and the products do a good job, without worry of damage to the leather. I also learned the leather is a bit more durable than I'd given it credit for.
Fantastic. I assumed that it'd work on the very light aragon brown so ordered up everything except the mild cleaner and ink transfer or whatever it was yesterday so I'm looking forward to treating the leather. It's in pretty darn good shape, but since I'm 6'5" tall the bolster is already starting to show a little wear and slight discoloration. Great write up, thanks again
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
The whole car is a bit of a mess at the moment. I keep saying how I need to clean it, but something always comes up that delays me. We've got three dogs, in case you couldn't tell from the dog hair imbedded in the carpeting, and they've been in the car a lot recently.
I hear you...I have a 91 pound Rottweiler, and she travels in my X5 M every day! Keeping the carpets free of dog hair is a nightmare!

Thanks again for your help!
      01-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
DaveChapin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M; 2014 911 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
Fantastic. I assumed that it'd work on the very light aragon brown so ordered up everything except the mild cleaner and ink transfer or whatever it was yesterday so I'm looking forward to treating the leather. It's in pretty darn good shape, but since I'm 6'5" tall the bolster is already starting to show a little wear and slight discoloration. Great write up, thanks again
At Urban's rec some moons ago, I purchased some Leather Barrier. I also happen to have the Aragon Brown interior. And so I can confirm it produces no odd coloration either immediately or days/months later.

I cleaned the seats first of course before applying.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 03:51 AM   #11
Ash777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

So what can be used for those of us who have black leather? As in an alternative to Leather Barrier? Have had the car for about one month and a half and the driver seat bolsters are already streaking
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #12
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash777
So what can be used for those of us who have black leather? As in an alternative to Leather Barrier? Have had the car for about one month and a half and the driver seat bolsters are already streaking
I use the Protection Cream (matte version) on all the black areas of my interior. If applied in even light coats, it leaves the leather looking the same as when you began, but it'll have a protective coating on it.

If the leather is getting to be a bit dry, I apply Leather Vital, which is this company's nourishing cream. I apply a light coat, let it dry, buff, then apply the protection cream (matte).

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 02-29-2016 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #13
Ash777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

Quote:
I use the Protection Cream (matte version) on all the black areas of my interior. If applied in even light coats, it leaves the leather looking the same as when you began, but it'll have a protective coating on it.

If the leather is getting to be a bit dry, I apply Leather Vital, which is this company's nourishing cream. I apply a light coat, let it dry, buff, then apply the protection cream (matte).
Okay! Thanks! Will look into this, was just scared of leaving some sort of white layer on the black leather. Everything is black in the interior, except for the carbon fibre inserts and silver details of course.
Appreciate 0