BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #45
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I had this issue twice in my F16 M50d. I was told by BMW if the battery is low then it was prioritize power supply to HUD, therefore, not switching on. The reason it comes back on in subsequent restart is because the battery is charged enough for HUD power. If you think of it makes sense.
That does make sense, but interestingly this is the only sign I have that I might have a low battery. No struggle starting and any other signs. Of course, I've had batteries go bad with no warning signs other than not starting.

Are there any cheaper battery options other than OEM? Not even sure if a non-OEM battery can be registered.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 12:03 AM   #46
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
That does make sense, but interestingly this is the only sign I have that I might have a low battery. No struggle starting and any other signs. Of course, I've had batteries go bad with no warning signs other than not starting.

Are there any cheaper battery options other than OEM? Not even sure if a non-OEM battery can be registered.
Yes, plenty of options for main battery, from different manufacturers. There are two different options, if you keep the same battery type you just need to register it, if you get a bigger or smaller one (form 90 to 105 for example) you need to code a new battery size.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2022, 04:13 AM   #47
marcelo71
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beganovic7 View Post
So this same thing happened to me 3 times in last 3 months, first 2 times it came back after couple hours once car was turned off and on, but this third time, it happened 3 days ago, and it still hasn't came back, so i went into details to try to figure it out. I came to realization that it actually never "disappeared" , but there is a glitch where hud was pushed way down(repositioned), so i go into the setting to adjust the position of hud, and raise it up to the "max" , but still it was way too low, literally could only see half of numbers showing the speedometer, when playing music i could see previous/next options as well. Now the main concer is why did this happen ? why did my hud randomly got pushed all the way down without abillity to bring it back up to normal hight where it was and worked perfectly, right now the highest hight setting is still way too low where i can barely see half of numbers, and i'm 6'5", even tried to reset the car to factory defaults( options-->delete all user data) and that didn't fix it, it is still there but way too low, so for people shorter then 6' it will look like that it's not working at all, but it actually is working, it's just super low, so far i have no idea how could this be fixed ?
I saw a video where the guy shows a spring that control the high. The spring holder broke and that was the reason for not been able to adjust the high.
I am in here because my HUD goes off, has come back on, but spend most of the time off. Just got the car a month ago and problem started a week ago. I guess I will have to check high of HUD, battery and fuses... anyone has a link for a technical info?
BTW, what is the best scanner we can buy under $600? thanks

Last edited by marcelo71; 06-17-2022 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: adding info
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 04:21 AM   #48
Jakesax
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 f15 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtyres2001 View Post
Got in vehicle and hud wasn't working finished the 2 mile journey checked all the setting still not working turned ignition off left it 2 mins then turned it back on again and there it was all working again has anyone else had this problem
Yes I've had the exact same issue
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 12:54 PM   #49
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelo71 View Post
I saw a video where the guy shows a spring that control the high. The spring holder broke and that was the reason for not been able to adjust the high.
I am in here because my HUD goes off, has come back on, but spend most of the time off. Just got the car a month ago and problem started a week ago. I guess I will have to check high of HUD, battery and fuses... anyone has a link for a technical info?
Autozone can check battery for free. Any shop can do that as well. 90% that the problem is in battery.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #50
aforget
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 - F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelo71 View Post
Autozone can check battery for free. Any shop can do that as well. 90% that the problem is in battery.
Same issue with my X5's HUD.

When it happens I go in the settings and I play with the height and rotation of the display and it comes back right after. Dealer is clueless on the reasons why it's doing that.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 11:23 AM   #51
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aforget View Post
Same issue with my X5's HUD.

When it happens I go in the settings and I play with the height and rotation of the display and it comes back right after. Dealer is clueless on the reasons why it's doing that.
Mine did that at first then it proceeded to get worse. HUD would only work 1 out of 3 drives. Replaced the battery and she's worked solid ever since.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 10:37 AM   #52
sidcol3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 XDrive50i

HUD issues, get battery voltage checked.

Hello all, I was having the same issue with HUD going off and on. Come to find out in my situation, my battery voltage was low and it shuts the HUD down to conserve power. Once batteries were replaced, I haven't had any issues. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 01:14 PM   #53
Lharer330@outlook.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Heads up display is intermittent

Replaced battery at 120,000 miles after 7 years and problem solved
Appreciate 0