BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-07-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Joyeauto Wireless Carplay thoughts/improvements

This thread is meant to be a wish list/troubleshooting list to send to Joyeauto for any improvements that we'd like to see made. The unit is 90% perfect, but heres a few changes i'd like to see to get closer to that 100%.

My personal requests:

1.) Being able to switch between 2 connected devices. When Carplay is active, it locks you out of the 'connected devices' menu

2.) On a phone running iOS 12 there is a black screen coming in and out of Carplay. This doesn't happen on my phone running iOS 13 beta so it may be fixed when the official iOS drops.

3.) This is a petty change, but it doesn't like it when you spin the iDrive controller fast.

4.) I'd like all the other iDrive button 'mappable.' For instance, i'd like to set my Nav button to open Waze.

Please keep this thread on topic, this isnt meant for install questions unless it is an improvement.
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #2
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Interesting topic vastano. Hopefully someone with a F15/F85 factory installed CarPlay can chime in with what's possible and/or correctable. This way we have a more realistic expectation from this retrofit.

While this doesn't address all the questions you posted, I found this thread over on the G03 forum:https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1640460 Even the G05 forum have something to say about it: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1545438

In the mean time, I'll browse a few more F/G forums to find more info...hth
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2019, 02:48 AM   #3
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
This thread is meant to be a wish list/troubleshooting list to send to Joyeauto for any improvements that we'd like to see made. The unit is 90% perfect, but heres a few changes i'd like to see to get closer to that 100%.

My personal requests:

1.) Being able to switch between 2 connected devices. When Carplay is active, it locks you out of the 'connected devices' menu

2.) On a phone running iOS 12 there is a black screen coming in and out of Carplay. This doesn't happen on my phone running iOS 13 beta so it may be fixed when the official iOS drops.

3.) This is a petty change, but it doesn't like it when you spin the iDrive controller fast.

4.) I'd like all the other iDrive button 'mappable.' For instance, i'd like to set my Nav button to open Waze.

Please keep this thread on topic, this isnt meant for install questions unless it is an improvement.
Hey it's good to see you started a thread for this. You should give a mention on the Wooohoooo thread so that all of the GB people can come over and share their thoughts. I just posted a reply over there telling a potential buyer the things that annoy me about the unit.. I'll put them here too.

[COLOR="Red"]I don't have more than one device so I haven't noticed this one[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Are you referring to the black screen when switching between CarPlay and iDrive via long press of the back button? I have it too and it sucks.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]I don't think this is petty.. I notice it too. It doesn't seem to happen when navigating via the steering wheel. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]This is by far my biggest gripe. It's a pain in the ass having to scroll between the music app and the nav app the hard way. If not settable they should at least have the buttons programmed to their respective functions.. like nav to nav, media to music and phone to phone. Is it better in IOS 13 since it looks like music and maps can be on the same screen?[/COLOR]

5.) When using the phone via CarPlay (external mic) the person on the other end of the line hears their echo. I suspect this is just feedback from the call coming from the speakers.

6.) Front camera never works in CarPlay.

Edit: adding 7

7.) A method to change songs without navigating to next song in music app. For example using the arrow keys by the numbers.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

1.) One guy on the F30 forum said his contacts got co-mingled with his wife's contacts & learned to live with it, BUT this was on factory OEM BMW CarPlay. Both my wife & I have our phones paired to iDrive/CarPlay, but not simultaneously. Not sure I want/need this feature.

2). I don't experience this (less than 1 sec. switching). In the Joyeauto UI, make sure that rear and front cameras, DVD, BT, TV, and DVR are ALL turned off in the settings menu.

3.) Thumb wheel on steering wheel works fine, yes iDrive wheel is indeed laggy.

4.) Programming memory buttons 1-8? I'll try experimenting with this & report back. Or just say: 'Hey Siri'!

5.) Experienced this early on, but no longer have this echo problem. Feedback from the placement of the mic, perhaps?

6.) See number 2.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
1.) One guy on the F30 forum said his contacts got co-mingled with his wife's contacts & learned to live with it, BUT this was on factory OEM BMW CarPlay. Both my wife & I have our phones paired to iDrive/CarPlay, but not simultaneously. Not sure I want/need this feature.

2). I don't experience this (less than 1 sec. switching). In the Joyeauto UI, make sure that rear and front cameras, DVD, BT, TV, and DVR are ALL turned off in the settings menu.

3.) Thumb wheel on steering wheel works fine, yes iDrive wheel is indeed laggy.

4.) Programming memory buttons 1-8? I'll try experimenting with this & report back. Or just say: 'Hey Siri'!

5.) Experienced this early on, but no longer have this echo problem. Feedback from the placement of the mic, perhaps?

6.) See number 2.
It looks like you were right about number 2. In my settings there was nothing selected under TV. I set it to off and I'm not seeing that intermediate black screen anymore. Good call amigo!

It's still a workaround though.. I'd rather see the cam come up when you pull up to an object.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #6
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
It looks like you were right about number 2. In my settings there was nothing selected under TV. I set it to off and I'm not seeing that intermediate black screen anymore. Good call amigo!

It's still a workaround though.. I'd rather see the cam come up when you pull up to an object.
Let's start a petition and forward it to the company with our demands! Or else...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post

Let's start a petition and forward it to the company with our demands! Or else...
Well we could probably line up a bunch more customers for them.. If they can work out the bugs and make use happy. That would be the best leverage to motivate them.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Another thing that would be great is if they let you register somehow and get update emails sent to you when updates are available for their unit..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #9
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Another thing that would be great is if they let you register somehow and get update emails sent to you when updates are available for their unit..
Yea or maybe just point them to this thread? I wonder if they can even access bimmerpost or if they're blocked by the great firewall?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Did anyone experience any problems with stock cameras when switching gear to reverse? I get a black screen with park sensor lines.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #11
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovan View Post
Did anyone experience any problems with stock cameras when switching gear to reverse? I get a black screen with park sensor lines.
No, but if you have factory cameras, go into Joyeauto menu (BMW logo) and turn off all cameras, DVD, etc
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, but if you have factory cameras, go into Joyeauto menu (BMW logo) and turn off all cameras, DVD, etc
I thought I did it, but I will go and check it again. I think the problem is somewhere either in settings or in firmware of the unit, because it does show backup and surround cameras when I am in parking and press park button.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #13
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Quote:
I thought I did it, but I will go and check it again. I think the problem is somewhere either in settings or in firmware of the unit, because it does show backup and surround cameras when I am in parking and press park button.
I've had a couple of cases where it was black screen in reverse.. But those were just one off things
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #14
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I texted to Joyeauto and got their response. It was: "Dip switch 8 set ON". I didn't fully understand what they meant, but I will check it again today or tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #15
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I texted to Joyeauto and got their response. It was: "Dip switch 8 set ON". I didn't fully understand what they meant, but I will check it again today or tomorrow.
There are 8 dipswitches on the bottom of the carplay unit. Only #8 should be on, all others off.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #16
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Y'all shoulda gotten the android units.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #17
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
And switch to Android? Haha. Nice try Mav
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #18
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
You're probably right. Unfortunately there wasn't enough people who could give real feedback on these units before. We were basically guinea pigs.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #19
vastano
Captain
Rep

I realize im the OP, but has anyone contacted Joyeauto referencing this thread? If not I was going to go ahead and send them the info via WhatsApp. Of course if someone has a contact already, feel free to go ahead and send them the link.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #20
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
I realize im the OP, but has anyone contacted Joyeauto referencing this thread? If not I was going to go ahead and send them the info via WhatsApp. Of course if someone has a contact already, feel free to go ahead and send them the link.
No I think that you're the head guy on this one. Probably just start by asking if they can or will work on fixing bugs and implementing improvements. If they can do it ask if they can join the forum.
Also, I think we should prioritize things that we want fixed. For me the highest priority items are 4 - 7(just added) - 6 - 5
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #21
vastano
Captain
Rep

I sent Joyeauto a link to this thread and they said they appreciate it and will take a look at it.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #22
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Tapping into the factory mic would be nice.

Also designing the unit to be fitted into the tight space would be a plus

Most of the complaints seem to be trying to fit it into the cramped space
Appreciate 0