BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #1
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive35d M sport

X5 Lease return questions

I returned my X5 two weeks back and I'm still waiting to see the lease closure details. In the meantime, I did get a call from BMW NA saying that there would be significant charges added to me (they didn't mention the amount) because I modified some software of the car? Not even sure what that is, I mean I understand Software quite well, but not sure what they are talking as I did not change the software (not even sure how to do this). The only thing I can think of is coding that I did in the past to have the mirrors fold when I press and hold the lock key and then maybe a door chime when unlocking. Is this considered as software modification? or just a setting in the car to enable/disable an already existing feature? I have been calling the dealership where I returned the car several times now and each time they said they will call back, never happens. I did get a chance to speak to one sales guy and he said ofcourse I modified the software because he hard the door chime, also someone at service mentioned that the car has been red flagged.

Has anyone been through anything like this in the past? What are my options. Most of you can see my threads here, I took such a good care of the car and I cannot believe the dealership is doing this to me. I called BMW NA few more times and they told me to wait to see the final lease settlement as they are still assessing and is not yet finalized.
      05-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
Carpe_BM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EX-BMW (2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i)

I've returned a few BMWs back to the dealer at lease-end and NEVER 1) took out the coding changes like VIM, Lock/unlock enhancements, halo brightness changes, etc.); 2) returned it without an inspection done to know exactly what I'm in for. They made me sign an affidavit that it was done and these were the charges applied to me (mainly tire and a couple of scratches that exceeded their threshold.

Did you engage in something similar?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceptak0n View Post
I've returned a few BMWs back to the dealer at lease-end and NEVER 1) took out the coding changes like VIM, Lock/unlock enhancements, halo brightness changes, etc.); 2) returned it without an inspection done to know exactly what I'm in for. They made me sign an affidavit that it was done and these were the charges applied to me (mainly tire and a couple of scratches that exceeded their threshold.

Did you engage in something similar?
Good to know you had kept the coding changes when you returned. When I returned my lease, they did not say anything other than the fact that they were short staffed due to the COVID situation. They said they will close out the lease in couple of days and that is when I get a call from BMW NA. I did sign a document (I wish I took a picture, but didn't) saying everything is released and I no longer have possession to the vehicle. Not sure why they are doing this, but can anyone suggest what my options are. I'm willing to take the legal route in hiring an attorney if needed as I'm not very satisfied in the way they are handling this so far. I'm hoping it wont be necessary, but not sure if it is too late.
      05-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

I just read your mod thread after having a quote for PPF in frost. 6900. Not happening. Wrap is 4 - thats reasonable. Thinking I'll look into CaliDip.

What dealer did you take it to? Turn in can vary greatly by dealer - and with all the losses dealers and BMW itself will be taking due to Covid, its not surprising they will try to get every $$ from every customer. Turnin fees are def a revenue generator.

I'm sure they are reading the small coding changes, but also wondering if your RaceChip is leaving a trace. But assuming you removed it. Or maybe its the MPPK? And they are not recognizing it?

I hope you get it worked out...but BMW and Audi can both be complete asses on lease returns.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstr8 View Post
I just read your mod thread after having a quote for PPF in frost. 6900. Not happening. Wrap is 4 - thats reasonable. Thinking I'll look into CaliDip.

What dealer did you take it to? Turn in can vary greatly by dealer - and with all the losses dealers and BMW itself will be taking due to Covid, its not surprising they will try to get every $$ from every customer. Turnin fees are def a revenue generator.

I'm sure they are reading the small coding changes, but also wondering if your RaceChip is leaving a trace. But assuming you removed it. Or maybe its the MPPK? And they are not recognizing it?

I hope you get it worked out...but BMW and Audi can both be complete asses on lease returns.
Yes, most installers charge an arm and leg for PPF. This is a diesel model, no MPPK at all, Racechip was just tried and never really used as I came to realize it would affect mileage, so its been out of the car since 2018.

I'm looking at suggestions/ideas from anyone who were in a similar situations and what worked for them. Should I just wait or proactively try to contact BMW NA or the dealership?
      05-05-2020, 05:45 AM   #6
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
did your car go in for a service/ recall etc in 2018 when racechip was in?. could be that they detected it then and flagged you up on their system but only told you now.
Silver lining is that between 2018 and now if your engine or gearbox etc went bust you may have had to foot the bill.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #7
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
did your car go in for a service/ recall etc in 2018 when racechip was in?. could be that they detected it then and flagged you up on their system but only told you now.
Silver lining is that between 2018 and now if your engine or gearbox etc went bust you may have had to foot the bill.
I did take it to service, but removed the race chip when I did, also I had it only for couple of weeks before I decided to get rid of it completely. Every aspect of the car is in top notch condition including Engine, gearbox, transmission etc. .as I only have less than 13k miles on it for 3 years. Even the tires have enough wear for atleast another 20,000 miles.

Btw, I just spoke to BMW NA and now they are saying my account is closed and the notes is not showing any charges, never mentioned about any flagging. The only charge they see is the disposition charge during lease return and also mentioned I should see the statement in a week or so. This is very confusing, to sure why they said my vehicle is flagged and now they are saying no charges. I cant be sure until I actually see the final settlement statement.
      05-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #8
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Want to update that I called the Finance team yesterday and approx after a month since returning the vehicle, they now say everything is in good standing and refunding my MSD.
Violator4587.50
KRS_SN13427.00
      05-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #9
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdAge View Post
Want to update that I called the Finance team yesterday and approx after a month since returning the vehicle, they now say everything is in good standing and refunding my MSD.
what a waste of anxiety. i would be internally thankful but externally livid.
Appreciate 0