BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

DIY guide M performance brake coding with ESYS

3/5/19 Addendum: I initially replied this write up on this on the Brembo on a budget thread (a great information thread for upgrading M sport brake) however as Maverik259 foreshadowed that this information was difficult to find and was lost within the thread so I'm making this on its own so it be easier for everyone and I to find in the future.

///This was written on 2/26/19 some changes were made from original post to better clarify some points\\\

I had a hard time trying to figure out how to code in M sport brakes, however after a few hours of youtube videos and sifting thru post after post, I finally figured it out and wanted to write a comprehensive coding in ESYS 3.27.1 (LITE) since there isn't any pertaining to our F15 X5 M sport brake coding.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damages, injuries or death following this steps...I'm hardly an novice and more of an imbecile when it comes to coding BMW...so if your unsure on following these steps seek an expert coder for assistance.

Requirement:
1.Esys Full or Lite (all we're doing is VO coding and coding the DSC2 module, no token pin required)
2.Battery charger @ 14V minimum
3.This coding is REQUIRED after installing M performance brakes in order to maintain proper braking performance, skipping this step will result in reduce braking performance.

*Pre-step. Make sure your car is hooked up to an battery charger with at least 14V to prevent vehicle from going into sleep mode. Leave keys in the vehicle, and hit start button without starting engine (no foot on brakes) and connect OBD to your computer/laptop with ESYS

1. Start connection click on the Icon that is highlighted in red

2.Select F025 and click connect this is F15 X5 F16 X6 specific, this may take a moment (WHATEVER YOU DO NOT SELECT DIRECT)

3. Click read then save

4. Save it securely, you may choose any name for our example we'll use "feb 26 fa 3"

5. After saving click EDIT and it should automatically take you to FA-Editor

6. Expand all the folders and find HO-WORT, Right Click, select NEW and click on HO-WORT

8. You'll be prompted with a small text box within the drop down folders, type in SBRE and hit enter. (SBRE is for F15 M sport brake code)

9. Right click on the FA folder, then click on calculate FP

10. It should populate the vehicle profile with no error message...now if your ESYS is working properly it should show "Aftermarket Addon", in our case its folder 8, expand folder 8 and it should be another folder with 2376, which is 18in sportbrake for F15, this confirms that file is coded and ready to be written on vehicle. Besure to click the save disk (highlighted in red) to save it.

11. Look over to the left tab and click on "Expert Mode" then click on VCM and you should see a screen like this.

12. Next look down and find for vehicle order section, select file tab and click the |...| box (highlighted in red) to load the file that we saved on the FA editor. In our case the feb 26 fa 3.xml

13 Expand the FA files and find the HO-WORT to verify the SBRE is added

14. Right click on FA and click on calculate FP this should populate the Vehicle profile section with folders

15. In the Vehicle profile expand folder 8 and verify that 2376 is present (highlighted in green box), then click on the Master tab (highlighted orange box) and click on Write FA FP (highlighted red box) if all goes right there shouldn't be any errors popping up.

16.On the left tab click on expert mode thencoding (highlighted in orange), after if opens, click on Read and save, name the file diffrentely for our example i added coded in the end of file name, feel free to name it whatever you want.

17. After Read and Save, expand all the files and find Ho-wort and look for SBRE and in vehicle profile look for folder 8 and subfolder 2376 this means is has been written into the car but we still have to code into the module for it to be completed.

18. Now we need to code the new HO-WORT into the appropriate Module, click on the Read ECU (highlighted in red) and SAVE a copy.

19. In the SVT section, find DSC2 right click and select Code...this will take 1-5 mins and you'll see an ABS Warning message that will pop up for a second and disappear as it should resolve on its on (ESYS will erase the fault code automatically) it should not reappear.

20. If you did it all correctly you should have no errors and you'll get a abgeschlossen bearbeitung (process completed) dialog and a close button. (didn't get the image of it). Click close and another popup will appear and will ask you to save a text on what it did, it's up to you if you want to save it or not doesn't hurt either ways.

21. Click disconnect and your done. You now have successfully coded M performance brake on your F15 X5

3/5/19
Appreciate 12
yewlock697.50
HJ478.00
Violator4587.50
happydude135.00
DenBel232.00
MH20jy15.00
titanjc21.00
      03-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
HydroStream6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i M-Sport

WOW. You absolutely ROCK! My MPBK is on the way, and I've already been nervous about figuring this out. This is going to help SO MUCH. Thanks!!

Adam
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
3/5/19 Addendum: I initially replied this write up on this on the Brembo on a budget thread (a great information thread for upgrading M sport brake) however as Maverik259 foreshadowed that this information was difficult to find and was lost within the thread so I'm making this on its own so it be easier for everyone and I to find in the future.

///This was written on 2/26/19 some changes were made from original post to better clarify some points\\\

I had a hard time trying to figure out how to code in M sport brakes, however after a few hours of youtube videos and sifting thru post after post, I finally figured it out and wanted to write a comprehensive coding in ESYS 3.27.1 (LITE) since there isn't any pertaining to our F15 X5 M sport brake coding.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damages, injuries or death following this steps...I'm hardly an novice and more of an imbecile when it comes to coding BMW...so if your unsure on following these steps seek an expert coder for assistance.

Requirement:
1.Esys Full or Lite (all we're doing is VO coding and coding the DSC2 module, no token pin required)
3.This coding is REQUIRED after installing M performance brakes in order to maintain proper braking performance, skipping this step will result in reduce braking performance.

*Pre-step. Make sure your car is hooked up to an battery charger with at least 14V to prevent vehicle from going into sleep mode. Leave keys in the vehicle, and hit start button without starting engine (no foot on brakes) and connect OBD to your computer/laptop with ESYS

2.Select F025 and click connect this is F15 X5 F16 X6 specific, this may take a moment (WHATEVER YOU DO NOT SELECT DIRECT)

3. Click read then save

4. Save it securely, you may choose any name for our example we'll use "feb 26 fa 3"

6. Expand all the folders and find HO-WORT, Right Click, select NEW and click on HO-WORT

8. You'll be prompted with a small text box within the drop down folders, type in SBRE and hit enter. (SBRE is for F15 M sport brake code)

10. It should populate the vehicle profile with no error message...now if your ESYS is working properly it should show "Aftermarket Addon", in our case its folder 8, expand folder 8 and it should be another folder with 2376, which is 18in sportbrake for F15, this confirms that file is coded and ready to be written on vehicle. Besure to click the save disk (highlighted in red) to save it.

11. Look over to the left tab and click on "Expert Mode" then click on VCM and you should see a screen like this.

12. Next look down and find for vehicle order section, select file tab and click the |...| box (highlighted in red) to load the file that we saved on the FA editor. In our case the feb 26 fa 3.xml

14. Right click on FA and click on calculate FP this should populate the Vehicle profile section with folders

15. In the Vehicle profile expand folder 8 and verify that 2376 is present (highlighted in green box), then click on the Master tab (highlighted orange box) and click on Write FA FP (highlighted red box) if all goes right there shouldn't be any errors popping up.

16.On the left tab click on expert mode thencoding (highlighted in orange), after if opens, click on Read and save, name the file diffrentely for our example i added coded in the end of file name, feel free to name it whatever you want.

17. After Read and Save, expand all the files and find Ho-wort and look for SBRE and in vehicle profile look for folder 8 and subfolder 2376 this means is has been written into the car but we still have to code into the module for it to be completed.

18. Now we need to code the new HO-WORT into the appropriate Module, click on the Read ECU (highlighted in red) and SAVE a copy.

19. In the SVT section, find DSC2 right click and select Code...this will take 1-5 mins and you'll see an ABS Warning message that will pop up for a second and disappear as it should resolve on its on (ESYS will erase the fault code automatically) it should not reappear.

20. If you did it all correctly you should have no errors and you'll get a abgeschlossen bearbeitung (process completed) dialog and a close button. (didn't get the image of it). Click close and another popup will appear and will ask you to save a text on what it did, it's up to you if you want to save it or not doesn't hurt either ways.

21. Click disconnect and your done. You now have successfully coded M performance brake on your F15 X5

3/5/19
Very details and thorough. Good job. This will be a good help for the forum members.
Appreciate 3
Maverik2594140.00
maDjzo861.50
      03-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #4
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Note to future posters, we know this is an awesome writeup but please don't quote the op lol
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      03-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
HJ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 CLS63 S

Great read
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Haha wish I could appreciate this 1000x over
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #7
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

I hope to need this someday.

Great post!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Are there any F15 owners who have SBRE enabled willing to send me their FA? I have an F25 and I am attempting the same coding, but with the F25 FA the FP doesn't calculate.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #9
smashe
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 competition 2016 x5 35

This needs to be a sticky thread
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #10
uchang76
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F16 M sport 15'

YOU ARE AWESOME!!! I just replaced the stock brake to M Performance Brake last week but the installer told me it didn't need to be re-programed, I just felt not right and not stop well on the brake, and after 2 days I hit the front car that suddenly stopped because I can't stop properly.

Does your instruction also fit 2015 BMW X6 (F16) M Sport? If so, then I am trying to do this step by step tomorrow!

Really appreciate your post!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 12:20 AM   #11
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 2016 BMW 328i

Sub’ed

Retrofits: NBT evo ID6, 6wb cluster, heated steering wheel, HUD, Kafas2 with LDW, SLI, HBA, FCW and pedestrian warning, LCW, Surround View, Parking Assist and ACC with Stop
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #12
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post

Requirement:

3. Click read then save

3/5/19
Do you have a diy to or did a dealer do the retrofit? Do you have the partnr needed for this retrofit, is there a complete set or you bought it in pieces?

I have a 2017 4.0e so if i look it up performance brakes dont excist for my model.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 06:12 AM   #13
tominfhl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 35d

Thanks for this!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #14
spyderdoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35d. 2016 Porsche GT4

Thank you SO much for these detailed instructions! Just installed the BMW Big brake kit on my 2018 diesel and this sequence worked like a charm! Really appreciate the detailed instructions....

Edit: After driving, it seems the steering feels heavier, in a good way! I wonder if this setting stiffens up the steering or if it is the added weight of the massive rotors?

Last edited by spyderdoc; 12-28-2021 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 11:49 PM   #15
tanzanight_f82
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Question

Thanks for the detailed out tutorial! Just wondering if this will work on F30/32 as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:54 AM   #16
geger001
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

E70 Coding for

Great info!
I am looking to code my 2013 X5 50i (E70) for the M Retro Fit Break kit. Is the process the same as the one you outlined for the F15? Any help you can provide would be appreciated!
Thanks
-Geger
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #17
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by geger001 View Post
Great info!
I am looking to code my 2013 X5 50i (E70) for the M Retro Fit Break kit. Is the process the same as the one you outlined for the F15? Any help you can provide would be appreciated!
Thanks
-Geger
No E-sys is for F series cars. Also rear hubs are different on X5 and X5M E70. You better ask in E70 section.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:27 AM   #18
geger001
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Thanks RED_Y_
Will do
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 08:28 PM   #19
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Does anyone know if the coding needs to be reverted back to the stock config when removing the MPBK and returning to the stock 50i brakes? Can I just leave as-is?
      08-15-2022, 09:10 PM   #20
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

I would revert it, the coding increases the brake pressure applied by the DSC module
      08-16-2022, 10:42 AM   #21
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
I would revert it, the coding increases the brake pressure applied by the DSC module
Makes sense, but do you think the 50i set can't handle that added pressure?
      08-16-2022, 06:58 PM   #22
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Makes sense, but do you think the 50i set can't handle that added pressure?
I would think at the very least, the stock brake lines from the 50i would not be equipped to handle the added throughput. Not sure about the rest of the system though.
Appreciate 0