BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #23
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytuning View Post
Update: the charger must be bad, hence the clicking because the car shows exceeding battery drainage still after a couple of days with the charger connected.

In the meantime I received the second charger to compare... I have a feeling I'll have to return them and exchange for the NOCO brand.
UPDATE: The second CTEK charger makes the clicking noise as the first one, but after measuring at the terminal under the hood, I noticed it happens when the relay switches on/off to charge and sends a pulse over a 2 minute period, so normal operation which is part of tending the battery when voltage drops occurs.

What is not so normal is my X6 still complains about battery discharge while stopping after having the charger connected. I measured the terminal after disconnecting the CTEK charger and saw 12.78V which is good, so I'm inclined to say the auxiliary battery must be the culprit and getting discharged.

I'll have to open the trunk and measure voltage on both main and auxiliary battery next.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #24
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update: the voltage on the auxiliary batteries in both cars were at 12.2v while main batteries were at 12.7v. also terminals on both were corroded so I cleaned them with baking soda and recharged them directly from the trunk (i know, not good but given the circumstances I believe these can be junked anyway). I'm not certain why the ctek charger didn't charge the aux batteries, it could have been from the corroded terminals, or they only get charged by the alternator, but what's for sure is there's no voltage increase at these batteries when the ctek charger is hooked up.
One week later and I have not seen the discharge battery anymore. Not sure if it's what made the difference but I also disconnected the starguard gps spying device from both cars while I was at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #25
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ery/1VnXzY6x4V

the aux battery is normally isolated from the main battery until extra power is requested by the EPS module, which also controls its charging i believe. so with the engine off, connecting any charger anywhere will not charge the aux battery unless u connect to the posts directly.
      05-22-2020, 11:44 PM   #26
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ery/1VnXzY6x4V

the aux battery is normally isolated from the main battery until extra power is requested by the EPS module, which also controls its charging i believe. so with the engine off, connecting any charger anywhere will not charge the aux battery unless u connect to the posts directly.
That's what I thought. i wonder if the aux battery also powers the 12v outlet in the trunk, that's where I have my dashcam connected which would explain the drain considering the camera turns itself off ~10 min after locking the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:58 PM   #27
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

No.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:30 AM   #28
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytuning View Post
That's what I thought. i wonder if the aux battery also powers the 12v outlet in the trunk, that's where I have my dashcam connected which would explain the drain considering the camera turns itself off ~10 min after locking the car.
no it does not, the aux battery is wired into the main battery in series to provide 24V of power to the EPS unit and that is its only purpose. as for ur dashcam, like most european cars, all electronics stays on for a bit and then gets fully shut down when the car enters sleep mode. I have experienced the same issue as u and rewired my dashcam directly into the battery for a 12V constant source.