BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
cnebrask
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

KWv3 DIY Install Guide + Photos

Hello everyone! Since i was not able to find a detailed DIY guide for a KW coilover install on a F85 X5M, i figured I would document my install the best i could in hopes that it could help someone else in the future. Disclaimer - I am not a mechanic - what you see here is from my personal experience using my best judgement. Your thought process and experience may vary.

I only documented the front passenger side install. I'll make notes of the rear install at the bottom, but the general process is the same for all 4 corners. Feel free to ask any questions.

Once you completely remove the strut, you need to remove the top hat from the OEM strut and install it on the KW strut. There is a single nut on the top to remove the hat. I did not use a spring clamp to compress the spring before removal but if you feel that it's safer to use one then please do. Once the KW strut is assembled, lift it into position. I dropped it onto the lower strut mount first, then pushed it up into position and had my helper secure it with the 3 top nuts. Once in position, re-install the strut mount bolt, the lower control arm bolt, and the top Control arm/Steering knuckle. I used a jack to push the whole assembly up so that the ball joint would easily go back into place. After all hardware is secured, re-secure the hydraulic line and all electrical lines in their original locations.

The rear coilover install is similar to the front, if not slightly easier. To gain access to the top mounting nuts, lift up cargo cover and remove the spare tire and jack hardware. Free the accelerator sensor, hydraulic lines, and electrical lines in the same process as above. The EDC bypass module can be installed in the exact same process as documented for the front. I removed the bottom strut bolt first, placed some blocking under the Brake assembly so that it wouldn't drop. Then remove the top three nuts and remove the strut. Take off the OEM strut hat and install it on the KW strut. Install the strut. You then will need to replace the Air Bag height adjustment bars with the ones from KW. You may have to adjust these several times to get the desired height.
Attached Images

Last edited by cnebrask; 10-18-2021 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: updated pictures
Appreciate 7
Violator4587.50
zoh7211.50
GotV8?1050.50
      05-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
smashe
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 competition 2016 x5 35

Nice write up. How is the ride quality compared to stock? Noticable gain in performance?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
cnebrask
Enlisted Member
Rep

Haven't spent much time on the new setup yet, but i'll follow up after this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashe View Post
Nice write up. How is the ride quality compared to stock? Noticable gain in performance?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:35 PM   #4
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Great write-up! I'm an avid DIY'er and really appreciate this post. Well done! Yeah, let us know of your experience after the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:50 AM   #5
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:
HUGE gain in performance and they ride so smooth imo... Keep in mind when it comes to coilovers fine tuning is a must to make it as perfect as you may want them to be.

Btw nice write up OP
      05-21-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
tweak84
i shake a lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M 17 X5M

Am I missing something or are no pictures showing up? Great write up though! When I do finally pull the trigger on these, this will be a great resource!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F85MTuNED View Post
Quote:
HUGE gain in performance and they ride so smooth imo... Keep in mind when it comes to coilovers fine tuning is a must to make it as perfect as you may want them to be.

Btw nice write up OP
What settings are you at? I personally feel a little too much body roll on factory settings.

I would encourage others to chime in as well. A lot of folks posted months ago but I am sure there are some new folks with KWs and I am curious what people have theirs set at.

Great mod though. Expensive but worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
LoveLiam
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F80

Just installed kw v3 's and now my rear deflates. While engine is running all corners are the same height. I park and 30 mins later the rear is slammed. Truck has 63,00p miles and before lowering this only happened when left for an extended period of time.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #9
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLiam View Post
Just installed kw v3 's and now my rear deflates. While engine is running all corners are the same height. I park and 30 mins later the rear is slammed. Truck has 63,00p miles and before lowering this only happened when left for an extended period of time.
Replace them. Much better to get it done quickly before your compressor goes too. I have no idea how quickly that would happen but I am sure some folks more knowledgeable can chime in...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 01:33 AM   #10
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I would think it's a bag issue and 30 minutes is quite quick so a decent leak therefore do them ASAP before the compressor gets noisy and burns out.

To double check take the wheels of and mix up a soap solution in a spray bottle and spray both bags and any pipes you may have touched/damaged and look for bubbles forming
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 02:56 AM   #11
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Btw nice write up OP
What settings are you at? I personally feel a little too much body roll on factory settings.

I would encourage others to chime in as well. A lot of folks posted months ago but I am sure there are some new folks with KWs and I am curious what people have theirs set at.

Currently I'm @:

7 Compression
8 Rebound

All 4 corners but I'm going to keep trying different settings to see what's perfect for me.
      05-22-2020, 07:12 AM   #12
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Btw nice write up OP

Currently I'm @:

7 Compression
8 Rebound

All 4 corners but I'm going to keep trying different settings to see what's perfect for me.
Is that firmer or less firm than 6-6? I keep forgetting the convention.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #13
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Btw nice write up OP

Currently I'm @:

7 Compression
8 Rebound

Is that firmer or less firm than 6-6? I keep forgetting the convention.
More firm.. when I dropped the car it looked amazing but it almost drove like a dropped car with body roll and it felt weird but once I changed the setting everything tightened up and felt amazing.

Tbh I know I can play with the settings a bit more and make it perfect so the plan is to make adjustments every 1-2 weeks of driving until it's perfect for different types of surface and road conditions.
      05-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #14
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

F85MTuNED Please keep me posted!!!! I felt the exact same way!!! I kept telling myself I had to be imagining it because how could it have more body roll than before. Now that I hear this, I realize I wasn't crazy.

Next time I get my oil changed, I am going to have them change the settings to what you have. If you find something you like better, let me know.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      05-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #15
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:
F85MTuNED Please keep me posted!!!! I felt the exact same way!!! I kept telling myself I had to be imagining it because how could it have more body roll than before. Now that I hear this, I realize I wasn't crazy.

Next time I get my oil changed, I am going to have them change the settings to what you have. If you find something you like better, let me know.
Will do.. tbh you can do it yourself it's very easy. The front rebound is a little tricky but it's nothing crazy.

Make sure you zero everything out and then reset meaning.. go all the way clockwise and they when you're looking to land on the number that you want your turning counterclockwise.

So once again all the way right and if you want 7 your going left count 1 threw 7 and you'll know when you hit the full turn because you'll feel a click every time.
      05-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #16
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

F85MTuNED Lol, you must not have read the other posts I have made otherwise you would know how clueless I am. I don't even know where the knob is.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      05-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #17
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:
F85MTuNED Lol, you must not have read the other posts I have made otherwise you would know how clueless I am. I don't even know where the knob is.
Lol, that's fine if you don't know but you still should make sure you know a decent amount and that your tech does the right thing because I've seen guys go to a tech and listen to what the tech says because... well he's a tech lol, meanwhile the whole time the guy is just as clueless as the customer and all hell breaks loose lol.
      05-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #18
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lol, that's fine if you don't know but you still should make sure you know a decent amount and that your tech does the right thing because I've seen guys go to a tech and listen to what the tech says because... well he's a tech lol, meanwhile the whole time the guy is just as clueless as the customer and all hell breaks loose lol.
I feel that way sometimes lol. I really would like to adjust myself so I will try to find some info so I can.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 03:47 AM   #19
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Hi,

How much have you paid for coilover's?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #20
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Not to challenge you F85MTuNED but I thought you started at the stiffest setting and each click makes it less firm. So 7-8 would be less firm than 6-6. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #21
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:
Not to challenge you F85MTuNED but I thought you started at the stiffest setting and each click makes it less firm. So 7-8 would be less firm than 6-6. Am I missing something?
Tbh I don't know how kw or anyone else has it in their book but this is literally what happened with me..

I installed coilovers on factory settings drop looked amazing as far as height is concerned but when it came to driving had a ton of body roll / felt sloppy and omfg if I hit a bump it was like a jello effect lol.

Once I played with the settings going full clockwise then counterclockwise on the rebound and compression everything felt tighter / no more body roll etc.. We all know how these SAV's drive like cars already but with this suspension it's even crazier.

Forgive me if it seems like I'm talking backwards or if I said something that threw you off earlier but this is the best way I can explain my experience with the coilover system.
      06-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #22
x6m_bxny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLiam View Post
Same exact thing happened to me. What was your outcome? Did the issue go away? Did you have to replace the bags??
Appreciate 0