BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Today, 12:10 AM   #23
JamesNoBrakes
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 428i xdrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
gas being no higher than 91 on regular pump gas.
Just FYI, that's like half of the entire US.
      Today, 12:24 AM   #24
tayone415
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Just FYI, that's like half of the entire US.
Seriously? I would of assumed it was more from seeing different tunes advertising HP and TQ gains for 93 octane, and coincidently seeing many YouTube bloggers having 93 octane. None the less, I remember reading and hearing multiple times that California has the worst gas in the US, but can't remember why?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:57 AM   #25
Roma_335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

[QUOTE=tayone415;26220886]I don't know how people drive with a dog on their lap? The one time I had a dog jump on my lap it almost caused me an accident. The dog was a small puppy that jumped on the floor under my brake pedal during rush hour traffic and I had to move over two to three lanes, luckily I was in an automatic with tiptronic and a real e-brake.

Exactly, I don't see how they let people drive with pets on there laps, and that is ok. I always thought it's dangerous because you never know what the dog will do in the csr. Especially if it's a larger dog.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:07 AM   #26
JamesNoBrakes
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 428i xdrive GC

Quote:
Seriously? I would of assumed it was more from seeing different tunes advertising HP and TQ gains for 93 octane, and coincidently seeing many YouTube bloggers having 93 octane. None the less, I remember reading and hearing multiple times that California has the worst gas in the US, but can't remember why?
Me too, especially when I had a previous turbo car (before my BMW) that had a 93 tune option in the tuner I bought (but I could never use it, that was AZ BTW, and the surrounding states). Yes, 93 is available in some places, but hell, probably half the population is missing it.

In some places...you *can* get it, but you have to live in a certain place in the big city, as in a few stations will carry it. Limited and still not easy to get. In others, it's just not even on the menu.

There are people that do a lot of racing and can get their hands on "race gas", usually high octane, sometimes more like 100 (not to be confused with aviation 100LL, you generally don't want that), but again, limited and hard to get ahold of for everyday use.

Lots of myths exist about gas, most of them are just BS, don't read into it too far.
      Today, 01:28 AM   #27
5.M0NSTER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Crazy.... Do people on the autobahn even drive 200MPH+?
Yes they do. I've seen it a few times now. And they let you know from 2 miles back. Brights flashing like "STAY OUT OF THIS LANE."

But it works because people pay attention, and only use the left lane for passing. ANd there are honestly not so many high speed wrecks here. It's a good car culture.

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:58 AM   #28
tayone415
Private
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Roma_335i;26221056]
Quote:
I don't know how people drive with a dog on their lap? The one time I had a dog jump on my lap it almost caused me an accident. The dog was a small puppy that jumped on the floor under my brake pedal during rush hour traffic and I had to move over two to three lanes, luckily I was in an automatic with tiptronic and a real e-brake.

Exactly, I don't see how they let people drive with pets on there laps, and that is ok. I always thought it's dangerous because you never know what the dog will do in the csr. Especially if it's a larger dog.
Yeah, I literally had no easy way out, if I stepped on the brake I would of killed the dog, and I kept trying to push him away with my foot and he kept hiding under the brake. I don't know what would of happened if I was driving a stick that day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Me too, especially when I had a previous turbo car (before my BMW) that had a 93 tune option in the tuner I bought (but I could never use it, that was AZ BTW, and the surrounding states). Yes, 93 is available in some places, but hell, probably half the population is missing it.

In some places...you *can* get it, but you have to live in a certain place in the big city, as in a few stations will carry it. Limited and still not easy to get. In others, it's just not even on the menu.

There are people that do a lot of racing and can get their hands on "race gas", usually high octane, sometimes more like 100 (not to be confused with aviation 100LL, you generally don't want that), but again, limited and hard to get ahold of for everyday use.

Lots of myths exist about gas, most of them are just BS, don't read into it too far.
I actually had another tune when I had my Audi, APR if you've ever heard of it? You could switch between tunes and security features using the cruise control stick. I actually had a 100 octane mode and found a gas station within 15-20 miles from me who for whatever reason sold 100 octane gas, but at around $9 a gallon, I never tried it.

Living in California, I usually consider that there's some stupid law or restriction behind not being able to get things in this state.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:06 AM   #29
tayone415
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Yes they do. I've seen it a few times now. And they let you know from 2 miles back. Brights flashing like "STAY OUT OF THIS LANE."

But it works because people pay attention, and only use the left lane for passing. ANd there are honestly not so many high speed wrecks here. It's a good car culture.
What about long term effects and the car's reliability from much consistently higher speeds?
Appreciate 0