BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

08-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Is there a watch brand you absolutely cannot stand? If so, why?

Only a few for me:
  • Stauer
  • Daniel Steiger
I can't stand either of them because they contract to have very inexpensive watches made with their name on it and then sell them at prices that seem like they should be good deals, but that are the farthest thing from a good deal that can be found in the whole of the watch marketplace. Even the so-called "fashion" watches aren't as bad insofar as they at least don't try to sell themselves using a value proposition argument.

Heck even the inexpensive Chinese fake makers have more integrity than do those two companies; they are at least watchmaking companies rather than pure marketing companies that sell watches among other things. As far as I know, Stauer and DS don't make a damn thing that has their name on it.

Example re: Stauer:
In 2013, Stauer had this watch offered on their website.

It's a lovely watch and it's made by a credible and good, American watch company, Towson Watch Company.

Stauer did not have their name on the dial. Stauer was charging $5K for the watch. At the same time, TWC was offering the watch for $3K. (It's $3.85K now) Stauer removed the watch from their website (TOWSON PRIDE II (BLACK) WRIST WATCH 21307 | Stauer.com) after I wrote a review of the watch and pointed out that it was available for $2K less from the maker.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T View Post
Mercedes-Benz.
Toyota.
They make watches?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
stevenopoly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 350z

anything hublot. Its all trash.
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenopoly View Post
Agreed
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Hublot? Really? Hublot is nice with great customer service.
Is there a joke I'm missing?
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenopoly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW View Post
Agreed
Please describe the objective elements that make "all" Hublot watches trash.

Steven, your comment makes me think you've been reading too much Watch Snob and not actually going to see watches for yourself. I don't mind that you don't like Hublot watches. Anyone is free to not like whatever they want to. Trash, however, is not at all what they are. Try on just about anything from their Classic Fusion line and I think you'll be impressed. More than a few of the Big Bang models are quite nice as well.

Hublot's first watch

Hublot Big Bang

Hublot Big Bang and Classic Fusion Tourbillons

Hublot Classic Fusion Denim

Hublot Classic Fusion (just the basic version ~$3.8K) and the Hublot Classic Fusion Mandela in King Gold

Inside Hublot watches carry both in-house movements and 3rd party ones much as one will find from the likes of AP, Tudor, Breitling, Tag, the most collectible (and most expensive) Rolex Daytonas, non/pre-co-axial Omegas, and many others.

In 2005, the Big Bang won the Best Design award at the Grand Prix D'horlogerie in Geneva, Switzerland. Between the watch below and the ROO, on the basis of looks (I'm not that privy to what's inside the BB) I'll take the BB.

The build quality on Hublot watches is unsurpassed, being every bit the equal of its direct competitors.
  • Their "quick release" strap feature makes changing the look of the watch a breeze; only thing easier to swap in and out is a grosgrain/NATO-style cloth band.
  • Hublot developed a variety of unique alloys of gold that boost the properties consumers most want.
    • King Gold -- an alloy of gold, copper and platinum that makes "rosier" their rose gold and boosts it's scratch resistance. (Rolex also alloy platinum into their gold.)
    • Magic Gold -- an alloy of gold with a bit of ceramic in it so that it's actually so hard that only diamond can scratch it. (http://iwmagazine.com/2014/03/gold-s...n-watchmaking/)
Lastly, listen to Hublot's minute repeater.

Now listen to Patek's.

Hublot's has a much nicer tone. It doesn't sound "dingy" for lack of a better term.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Who would wear that denim hublot? Rich cowboys and Jay leno?
Appreciate 3
      08-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Who would wear that denim hublot? Rich cowboys and Jay leno?

I don't know and I'm pretty sure you don't really care who would. I would. Apparently Eddie Yim will. (http://www.hegram.com/eddieyim) I suppose other rich folks who see it for what it is -- a fun watch to wear because it's different from what most folks wear -- will enjoy wearing it.

In other Hublot news....
I just found out that Hublot have even made a retrograde chronogaph watch.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #9
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

I think AP makes some of the ugliest watches on Earth. I wouldn't buy one if they were at Target for $20.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks View Post
I think AP makes some of the ugliest watches on Earth. I wouldn't buy one if they were at Target for $20.
I respect that.

Three of what I think are among the most attractive looking watches are from AP.

All the best.

Appreciate 2
      08-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

When AP is simple (as in the pics you provided)... it's almost too simple and there's nothing that is aesthetically desirable. When they go with their traditional look, it's overkill.

However, I never trash somebody's opinion and always respect it. If somebody loves them... have at it!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #12
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Please describe the objective elements that make "all" Hublot watches trash.

Steven, your comment makes me think you've been reading too much Watch Snob and not actually going to see watches for yourself. I don't mind that you don't like Hublot watches. Anyone is free to not like whatever they want to. Trash, however, is not at all what they are. Try on just about anything from their Classic Fusion line and I think you'll be impressed. More than a few of the Big Bang models are quite nice as well.

Hublot's first watch

Hublot Big Bang

Hublot Big Bang and Classic Fusion Tourbillons

Hublot Classic Fusion Denim

Hublot Classic Fusion (just the basic version ~$3.8K) and the Hublot Classic Fusion Mandela in King Gold

Inside Hublot watches carry both in-house movements and 3rd party ones much as one will find from the likes of AP, Tudor, Breitling, Tag, the most collectible (and most expensive) Rolex Daytonas, non/pre-co-axial Omegas, and many others.

In 2005, the Big Bang won the Best Design award at the Grand Prix D'horlogerie in Geneva, Switzerland. Between the watch below and the ROO, on the basis of looks (I'm not that privy to what's inside the BB) I'll take the BB.

The build quality on Hublot watches is unsurpassed, being every bit the equal of its direct competitors.
  • Their "quick release" strap feature makes changing the look of the watch a breeze; only thing easier to swap in and out is a grosgrain/NATO-style cloth band.
  • Hublot developed a variety of unique alloys of gold that boost the properties consumers most want.
    • King Gold -- an alloy of gold, copper and platinum that makes "rosier" their rose gold and boosts it's scratch resistance. (Rolex also alloy platinum into their gold.)
    • Magic Gold -- an alloy of gold with a bit of ceramic in it so that it's actually so hard that only diamond can scratch it. (http://iwmagazine.com/2014/03/gold-s...n-watchmaking/)
Lastly, listen to Hublot's minute repeater.

Now listen to Patek's.

Hublot's has a much nicer tone. It doesn't sound "dingy" for lack of a better term.

All the best.
I can't answer for Steven but for me, Hublot just seems like it's an expensive knockoff of AD ROO. I'm not to familiar with the new inhouse movements they are now using (so maybe my opinion will change) but their Big Bang line (which is by far their most well known line) just seemed like gaudy AD Royal Oak Offshore copies with an ETA movement and an incredibly high price tag.

I mean I'm sure their cases are nice but for the money they charge for their watches you need more then just a nice case. But like I said, I was unfamiliar with their new movements so I will have to give them another review once I learn more.

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #13
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Hublot makes some pretty nice watches, and I would definitely not mind owning one.

On the other side of the spectrum, I have no idea how the Hublot design team was allowed to even let these pieces go any further than a pencil sketch joke!

Hublot Pop Art - $30k watches for an overly flamboyant failure in my book:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW View Post
I can't answer for Steven but for me, Hublot just seems like it's an expensive knockoff of AD ROO. I'm not to familiar with the new inhouse movements they are now using (so maybe my opinion will change) but their Big Bang line (which is by far their most well known line) just seemed like gaudy AD Royal Oak Offshore copies with an ETA movement and an incredibly high price tag.

Well, I can't say I see no similarities, but enough to call it a "knock off," no.

I see the Hublot BB as "like" an ROO in the same way I see the Chrysler 300 as "like a Bentley." It looks like one until you put it next to one.

In each case, I think the similarity is found as follows:
  • they are both watches with bezel screws
  • they are both cars with four doors and squarish-grilles
As for which one is cheaper it's not obvious to me just by looking at it which one is -- which vehicle of pair of cars or which watch of the pair of watches.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #15
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
Hublot makes some pretty nice watches, and I would definitely not mind owning one.

On the other side of the spectrum, I have no idea how the Hublot design team was allowed to even let these pieces go any further than a pencil sketch joke!

Hublot Pop Art - $30k watches for an overly flamboyant failure in my book:
That Hublot can, as many watchmakers do and have, have "blonde" moments is true.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #16
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
That Hublot can, as many watchmakers do and have, have "blonde" moments is true.

All the best.
LOL, agreed!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:28 AM   #17
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Any new watch with Rolex on the face.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 04:32 AM   #18
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Any new watch with Rolex on the face.
reasons being?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:45 AM   #19
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

ISTM that a Rolex dealer could could advertise them thusly:
Got loads of money to blow on a watch?
looking for a watch that says "I've got loads of money"?
Then you have come to the right place.
"Rolex, no other watch says ostentatious better.
Appreciate 3
sonus47.50
      08-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #20
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

STM that a Rolex dealer could could advertise them thusly:
Got loads of money to blow on a watch?
looking for a watch that says "I've got loads of money"?
Then you have come to the right place.
"Rolex, no other watch says ostentatious better.[/QUOTE]

So you don't like Rolexes?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 07:35 AM   #21
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post

So you don't like Rolexes?
Only in the sense that it epitomizes everything I hate about the designer market...where the name sells the object not the intrinsic value of the object itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #22
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Only in the sense that it epitomizes everything I hate about the designer market...where the name sells the object not the intrinsic value of the object itself.
I think Rolexes, as well as other 'luxury' brands are intended to serve a dual purpose of style as well as utility. To use your standard, anything other than a $25.00 timex could be considered ostentatious. A different degree perhaps, but ostentatious all the same. A very very very subjective term I believe. One man's Patek is another man's Timex. Just like cars and houses and wives.
Appreciate 0