BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

12-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #89
Radekxpl
The General
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D & E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15Michigan View Post
Hopefully someone will answer you soon. I'll be ordering my stuff this week to get this done. As others have posted you can get the down pipes from the turbo eliminating the dpf for about $300. The new tunes I'm told you don't have to delete the EGR so I'm figuring about $1500 to make this happen. I don't know why you can't use the factory cat back? I'm going to reach out to Malone tomorrow and ask them their thoughts.
I actually answered my own question, If you leave it in and disable the adblue injector, from what I have research it will clog up and you will have all kinds of other issues. That is why no one leave this scr in. I'm actually finishing up my abc delete, installed downpipe yesterday I order this downpipe from seller in europe:http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...kAAOSwuyNbGTMC, I must say i'm pleasantly surprised, quality of this downpipe is outstanding welds are perfect made out of T-304 stainless steel, fitment is stop on bolt just like dpf even has a oem hanger attachment for the bracket, which most of the US downpipes offered to not have, and best part is it was only $360 shipped to my door, delivery took about 5 days which is extremely fast considering the fast its coming from Lithuania. That is half the price of what similar downpipes cost here in US. All that I have lest is install piece of straight pipe in place of mid section and stage 2 tune from DUDMD, and I should be golden, looking have it running by this weekend
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #90
F15Michigan
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radekxpl View Post
Quote:
Hopefully someone will answer you soon. I'll be ordering my stuff this week to get this done. As others have posted you can get the down pipes from the turbo eliminating the dpf for about $300. The new tunes I'm told you don't have to delete the EGR so I'm figuring about $1500 to make this happen. I don't know why you can't use the factory cat back? I'm going to reach out to Malone tomorrow and ask them their thoughts.
I actually answered my own question, If you leave it in and disable the adblue injector, from what I have research it will clog up and you will have all kinds of other issues. That is why no one leave this scr in. I'm actually finishing up my abc delete, installed downpipe yesterday I order this downpipe from seller in europe:http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...kAAOSwuyNbGTMC, I must say i'm pleasantly surprised, quality of this downpipe is outstanding welds are perfect made out of T-304 stainless steel, fitment is stop on bolt just like dpf even has a oem hanger attachment for the bracket, which most of the US downpipes offered to not have, and best part is it was only $360 shipped to my door, delivery took about 5 days which is extremely fast considering the fast its coming from Lithuania. That is half the price of what similar downpipes cost here in US. All that I have lest is install piece of straight pipe in place of mid section and stage 2 tune from DUDMD, and I should be golden, looking have it running by this weekend
So are you using your factory catalytic converter? With just a short piece of straight pipe from a local muffler shop from the downpipe to the catalytic converter? This was my thought. I still have to call Malone today to verify I can do this.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #91
Radekxpl
The General
Rep

Quote:
So are you using your factory catalytic converter? With just a short piece of straight pipe from a local muffler shop from the downpipe to the catalytic converter? This was my thought. I still have to call Malone today to verify I can do this.
I have made a cut to the mid section right after SCR (CAT) and I'm replacing that whole section with straight pipe connected right up directly to the downpipe. For now I'm going to run catless and see how I like it, I can always weld in cat in that mid section im replacing right now, without any difficulties if I choose to.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 01:19 AM   #92
tito12121
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
I have made a cut to the mid section right after SCR (CAT) and I'm replacing that whole section with straight pipe connected right up directly to the downpipe. For now I'm going to run catless and see how I like it, I can always weld in cat in that mid section im replacing right now, without any difficulties if I choose to.
I am trying to order up some parts for this job, do you know which CAT would work specifically? I have been reading some people add a magnaflow just not sure which one.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #93
Radekxpl
The General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tito12121 View Post
I am trying to order up some parts for this job, do you know which CAT would work specifically? I have been reading some people add a magnaflow just not sure which one.
Any DOC CAT will work it has to be DOC
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 05:56 AM   #94
Kakalika
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

Quote:
Any DOC CAT will work it has to be DOC
Does the DOC cat need to be located close to the motor so it can be heated up always, or can it be placed anywhere in the system?
      12-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #95
Radekxpl
The General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakalika View Post
Does the DOC cat need to be located close to the motor so it can be heated up always, or can it be placed anywhere in the system?

Most companies that offer these downpipe kits that have a option for doc cat place in the same area where the original scr was.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #96
Jramsey
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 diesel

I had my e70 done and I bought it all as a kit . Is there any sites doing that yet ?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #97
FidoM5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 M5, 2009 E93, 2014 X5d

Quote:
Radek, just to confirm, this downpipe you ordered from the Europeans fit your US spec F15 just fine? Also it appears it doesn't come with a flange for the midpipe?

To everyone following this thread, I've been doing research into doing the ABC delete and have some updates:

BPC no longer sells these kits, a lot of other places also appear to not be touching the F15 any longer.

I contacted a couple of ebay sellers from Europe that generally sell downpipes, but they all say this won't fit the US N57 engines for whatever reason. Can anyone confirm who they have ordered from and if it fit? Radek ordered from someone in Lithuania but they also don't have it anymore.

The EGR delete kits sold on ebay (the only place I could find them) also appear to only work on Euro spec N57 engines. The guys from tunemyeuro.com (buzzken?) also claim there are no EGR delete kits for US diesels, but the OP claims he bought a kit from that British lad on ebay and it worked? I have asked that ebay seller and I am waiting for an answer, if anyone else who has done this could chime in it would be appreciated?

As for the mid section, which DOC is everyone going with? I can't seem to find anything on the internet, is this something that is only stocked by muffler shops? Someone mentioned they used a Magnaflow, but I am unable to find any links/info on this?
Also, are there muffler shops that can make the midsection out of stainless steel?
The only ones who still seem to sell the downpipe/midpipe w/DOC section all as a kit in stainless are tunemyeuro, but they are expensive ($1300 with shipping). If I can get the downpipe from europe for $360 that would leave almost $1K to figure out the mid section. I figure a DOC with pipe should be doable for $500 which leaves a good discount in the pocket if the right place that does this can be found?

Finally, how are people removing the DEF mixing valve/injector? It has two coolant lines, the DEF line and a connector going into it. How are people plugging the connector on the car's harness and the DEF line? Are they just connecting the two coolant hoses together or do they get bypassed somewhere upstream on the engine?

Thanks in advance guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #98
Khedge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

FidoM5,

The ebay kits will work to do the egr delete. But i made my own block of plate for the second egr mounted on the exhaust manifold. You will also need a engine block coolant drain plug, because bwm thought it was a good idea to liquid cool the def injector. Anyway go to whitebreadperformace.com and he sells a full egr delete kit with all the caps, plates etc.

Also go checkout darkside developments in the UK. They have downpipes for the f15 and i just ordered a turbo from them for my f15. I have a custom 304ss exhaust and downpipe for mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #99
gtp900
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 2015 35d mspor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khedge View Post
FidoM5,

The ebay kits will work to do the egr delete. But i made my own block of plate for the second egr mounted on the exhaust manifold. You will also need a engine block coolant drain plug, because bwm thought it was a good idea to liquid cool the def injector. Anyway go to whitebreadperformace.com and he sells a full egr delete kit with all the caps, plates etc.

Also go checkout darkside developments in the UK. They have downpipes for the f15 and i just ordered a turbo from them for my f15. I have a custom 304ss exhaust and downpipe for mine.
The downpipes they carry don't say the carry any for the F15, they sell ones for the Euro equivalent. Are you sure these will work for US models?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #100
FidoM5
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khedge View Post
FidoM5,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp900 View Post
The downpipes they carry don't say the carry any for the F15, they sell ones for the Euro equivalent. Are you sure these will work for US models?
Exactly, the British seem to support the Euro spec engines which are different apparently. I haven't contacted them yet to see if their product will fit, but usually that's the case from my research thus far.

I also contacted Whitbread performance and already got a response, very nice guy, he says he doesn't have F15 downpipe kits but his EGR block off kit is specifically designed for the US spec engine. So that's one thing less to worry about.

Too bad that he doesn't have the F15 kit because his E70 downpipe/midpipe w/DOC is exactly what I want - all stainless, fantastic welds, at a great price ($850 for the whole thing versus $1300 from tunemyeuro)

I did hear back from one of the sellers on ebay, the one in Lithuania, he says he will have downpipes that fit US engines in stock soon, but no midpipe/doc

The search continues for a whole kit at a reasonable price...
Appreciate 1
gtp90038.50
      01-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #101
Khedge
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure on that one. I will have to call them and find out. The intake is different on the euro models compared to the us models. I’ll have to look on realoem again to compared the downpipe connections.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #102
Khedge
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoM5 View Post
Exactly, the British seem to support the Euro spec engines which are different apparently. I haven't contacted them yet to see if their product will fit, but usually that's the case from my research thus far.

I also contacted Whitbread performance and already got a response, very nice guy, he says he doesn't have F15 downpipe kits but his EGR block off kit is specifically designed for the US spec engine. So that's one thing less to worry about.

Too bad that he doesn't have the F15 kit because his E70 downpipe/midpipe w/DOC is exactly what I want - all stainless, fantastic welds, at a great price ($850 for the whole thing versus $1300 from tunemyeuro)

I did hear back from one of the sellers on ebay, the one in Lithuania, he says he will have downpipes that fit US engines in stock soon, but no midpipe/doc

The search continues for a whole kit at a reasonable price...

The euro spec engines are the same n57 block but they have different intakes and the emissions system are little different. The exhaust has slip connections compared to the flange connections on the US model.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 08:19 PM   #103
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

how is it possible for this to pass CT state emissions?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #104
Radekxpl
The General
Rep

Quote:
Radek, just to confirm, this downpipe you ordered from the Europeans fit your US spec F15 just fine? Also it appears it doesn't come with a flange for the midpipe?

To everyone following this thread, I've been doing research into doing the ABC delete and have some updates:

BPC no longer sells these kits, a lot of other places also appear to not be touching the F15 any longer.

I contacted a couple of ebay sellers from Europe that generally sell downpipes, but they all say this won't fit the US N57 engines for whatever reason. Can anyone confirm who they have ordered from and if it fit? Radek ordered from someone in Lithuania but they also don't have it anymore.

The EGR delete kits sold on ebay (the only place I could find them) also appear to only work on Euro spec N57 engines. The guys from tunemyeuro.com (buzzken?) also claim there are no EGR delete kits for US diesels, but the OP claims he bought a kit from that British lad on ebay and it worked? I have asked that ebay seller and I am waiting for an answer, if anyone else who has done this could chime in it would be appreciated?

As for the mid section, which DOC is everyone going with? I can't seem to find anything on the internet, is this something that is only stocked by muffler shops? Someone mentioned they used a Magnaflow, but I am unable to find any links/info on this?
Also, are there muffler shops that can make the midsection out of stainless steel?
The only ones who still seem to sell the downpipe/midpipe w/DOC section all as a kit in stainless are tunemyeuro, but they are expensive ($1300 with shipping). If I can get the downpipe from europe for $360 that would leave almost $1K to figure out the mid section. I figure a DOC with pipe should be doable for $500 which leaves a good discount in the pocket if the right place that does this can be found?

Finally, how are people removing the DEF mixing valve/injector? It has two coolant lines, the DEF line and a connector going into it. How are people plugging the connector on the car's harness and the DEF line? Are they just connecting the two coolant hoses together or do they get bypassed somewhere upstream on the engine?

Thanks in advance guys!
Yes this downpipe fits https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-f30-f31...kAAOSwuyNbGTMC like a glove its a direct fit no modification needed. It comes standard with factory size connection to be compatible with factory midsection which is 2.75 in diameter. I actually contacted the seller on ebay his name is Tom and requested to do oversized 3 inch connection since I was going with to make 3 inch midsection as well, he did no problem at no additional cost. Now I have full 3 inch downpipe alone with 3 inch midsection all the way to back of the car, for the midsection I went to my local muffler shop 3 inch bent pipe cost me $90, so total cost for the hardware part of this mod was $450. I see he does not have them in stock anymore I would send him a message to see if he can make you one, you can't beat his price and its a quality downpipe full ss welds are beautiful. As for the DOC Cat for now I'm running without it straight pipe style, diesel smell does not bother me at all for now, I can always add a cat down the road, I know Rawtecinc uses GESi cats on their midsections I'm not sure what everybody else is using. Personally I did not delete egr its not mandatory, since you can have it coded out and unplug the connectors that way it will not open and will work the same way as if you put a block off plate there, not worth the hassle imo removing it. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #105
Radekxpl
The General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey21 View Post
how is it possible for this to pass CT state emissions?
Most states these day do not do sniffer test on diesel nor gas vehicles, all its based on obdII readiness these days and that can be taken care of by your tuner, and you are good to go then.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:20 PM   #106
FidoM5
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Yes this downpipe fits https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-f30-f31...kAAOSwuyNbGTMC like a glove its a direct fit no modification needed. It comes standard with factory size connection to be compatible with factory midsection which is 2.75 in diameter. I actually contacted the seller on ebay his name is Tom and requested to do oversized 3 inch connection since I was going with to make 3 inch midsection as well, he did no problem at no additional cost. Now I have full 3 inch downpipe alone with 3 inch midsection all the way to back of the car, for the midsection I went to my local muffler shop 3 inch bent pipe cost me $90, so total cost for the hardware part of this mod was $450. I see he does not have them in stock anymore I would send him a message to see if he can make you one, you can't beat his price and its a quality downpipe full ss welds are beautiful. As for the DOC Cat for now I'm running without it straight pipe style, diesel smell does not bother me at all for now, I can always add a cat down the road, I know Rawtecinc uses GESi cats on their midsections I'm not sure what everybody else is using. Personally I did not delete egr its not mandatory, since you can have it coded out and unplug the connectors that way it will not open and will work the same way as if you put a block off plate there, not worth the hassle imo removing it. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the informative post! I did contact Tom before you made this post because I saw you had used this pipe, he said he will have more in stock this week, but he doesn't make a midpipe.

I definitely want to get a DOC so this complicates things a bit vs. getting a simple straight pipe. I looked up GESi on ebay and they seem to make high performance straight-through cats but I don't see any DOC's, only gasoline engine ones.

Would anyone have concrete links to any Diesel Oxidation Catalysts that would be ideal for what we're doing here?

Also, I have been pondering on whether or not to completely remove the EGR hardware as well as the SCR tanks, and what to do with the DPF. If I sell all of these components, I think it will pay back for the parts for the delete. However, should I ever need to convert it back to stock, I would have to source everything anew, and it would complicate matters greatly. So far, I am leaning towards keeping everything in the car, and putting the DPF & SCR cats away in storage for now. What did you guys do with your hardware?

And what did you guys do with the coolant lines for the DEF injector?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:29 PM   #107
Radekxpl
The General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the informative post! I did contact Tom before you made this post because I saw you had used this pipe, he said he will have more in stock this week, but he doesn't make a midpipe.

I definitely want to get a DOC so this complicates things a bit vs. getting a simple straight pipe. I looked up GESi on ebay and they seem to make high performance straight-through cats but I don't see any DOC's, only gasoline engine ones.

Would anyone have concrete links to any Diesel Oxidation Catalysts that would be ideal for what we're doing here?

Also, I have been pondering on whether or not to completely remove the EGR hardware as well as the SCR tanks, and what to do with the DPF. If I sell all of these components, I think it will pay back for the parts for the delete. However, should I ever need to convert it back to stock, I would have to source everything anew, and it would complicate matters greatly. So far, I am leaning towards keeping everything in the car, and putting the DPF & SCR cats away in storage for now. What did you guys do with your hardware?

And what did you guys do with the coolant lines for the DEF injector?
I kept everything in storage just in case ever needed. The Def injector is left in place no coolant lines need to be disconnected, all you do is disconnect the module under the head light and that takes care of the injector as well, I zipped tied mine to the tranny bracket. The egr scr tanks I would leave alone it's way too much hassle to remove all that stuff once disabled there no benefit of removing that stuff other than weight which it should not matter after all this is a suv not a race car.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #108
gtp900
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 2015 35d mspor

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance guys!
Radekxpl so the stock mid section inlet is 2.75" and outlet is 3"? So if I were to have Tom upsize the outlet of his fabed downpipe to 3" it will fit up to stock exhaust after cutting out midsection? (As you said you did).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #109
Radekxpl
The General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance guys!
Radekxpl so the stock mid section inlet is 2.75" and outlet is 3"? So if I were to have Tom upsize the outlet of his fabed downpipe to 3" it will fit up to stock exhaust after cutting out midsection? (As you said you did).
The original mid section is 2.75 all the way through I was going to use a reducer at the merge 3 to 2.75 but when I fabricated 3 od section I discovered that due to thick pipe walls inside diameter is just over 2.75 and it slid tightly over original 2.75 section additionally I cut 2 notches in the pipe and placed band clamp over, clamped everything tightly and it works great to this day no leaks everything is nice and tight. It all depends on thickness of your fabricated pipe most likely u will need a reducer unless you get lucky like I did
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 11:47 PM   #110
tito12121
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive35d

For those still searching, any updates on a full kit with DP, Midpipe and DOC?

I saw the EGR stuff is on whitbread but I am not mechanically inclined and no one I know locally has done an F15 (e70 only) yet so I would want to provide everything they need.
Appreciate 0