BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

12-19-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (& M3 E92 for sale)

Post Android Auto, Waze and more: aftermarket screen with Android 8.1 Install & Review

Hey there, I did it, I changed the screen for an aftermarket version.

Here is the version I acquired, from 4x4shop.ca, select Android 8.1, and take the GPS Antenna Splitter.
You can take the CarPlay/Android auto USB Dongle, I tried to use it with Android, no success. I need to test it with an iPhone for CarPlay, and I'll update the thread.

To start with the conclusion, would I recommend it?
Yes
, definitely, if you are looking for a way to have any Android app on your infotainment (waze, google maps, android auto,etc.)

How does it work?

So the BMW "brain" of the system is behind your CD player in the front. The screen is just a screen, there is nothing else into it. It's the same you will have with a desktop computer: The tower is the "brain", and the screen is just a dumb component that display a picture.
When you replace the screen, what you do is install an Android tablet with a video input, so the BMW system will work exactly the same as before, you will have in addition an Android system that is working at the touch of your fingers, and to some extend with the idrive wheel controller.
Then you have a harness that is going in between the car and the BMW "brain", that intercepts and send signals to the Android interface.

+ and -

The good
- Hardware is powerful enough to make the experience fluid
- Android 8.1, so you can install all the recent apps
- Integration with the physical buttons
- Possible to use the BMW interface only if you want
- Possible to install any Android launcher, and to create the experience you want, no limit here except the time you want to spend on it
- Navigation button launch the app you want
- Switch from BMW system to Android with holding the menu button
- Screen quality, no reflection/glare (even if it looks different in the pictures, it does not look glossy when you look at it)

The meh
- No camera, that would be great for video calls
- Software does not have all the Google services installed, you have to side load a bunch of apk to have a full Android experience,
- The option/settings apps is not very well designed
- No automatic screen brightness with ambient light
- I wish they would offer the option with 4G/LTE, as it's an extension card on the hardware
- The hardware: plastics are not qualitative, assembly is not very well done, gaps in between all elements. It looks bad when you open the box, but when it's installed, you don't notice it as it's a bit further away, and you don't see the back. It is far, far, far away from the BMW screen in term of assembly and plastics quality.

The bad
- The interface that pretend to be a BMW interface, and is absolutely not (but you can change it)
- Microphone has a hard time to capture the sound from far, you have to lean towards the screen to make it work
- The wifi only works in 2.4Ghz (no 5Ghz)

How to install?

The hardware
It's very easy, don't freak out, you only have 6 screws to remove.
I watched 2 videos, and it's well explained:
Here is how to remove the dashboard and screen
Here is how to connect the harness and the screen
You will actually not use most of the connectors, it's only the basics ones that you need. The audio works fine, no need to do the hack they are talking about. I recommend to tape the extra cables together, to make everything look nice and not have things all over the place.
For the double USB entries that they put in the glove box, it's not mandatory. I put the cable from the center to bellow the glove box (in the fuse box), and it gets out at the passenger feet. You will see, there is a hole, and you can run the cable along the center console, no drill, no hole, it just goes nicely. I will actually not use any of the USB cable, so will let them inside the fuse box.

The install was much easier than I thought it would, it was super fast to install.

The software
Ok, here, the first thing I recommend you to do is installing another launcher. Seriously, the interface is bad, really bad.
I tried a couple, and ended with Smart Launcher 5, it has an interface that works very well as an infotainment (big button, shortcuts, gestures...).
Side load the Google Contacts Sync 8.1.0 (and only this version), then go in Android settings, in permissions, and give permission to the app.
Install the Google app.
Install the Google assistant.
Side load Android Auto, and launch the app, it will ask you to install a couple more services. Do it and launch the app again, it should work.
Install the last Contacts App (you can put a dark them on it), and uninstall the old contact app (check with the icon).
Install any app you'd like from the Play store (Waze, the Weather Channel, Calendar, YouTube, Duo, Messages, Messenger, Hangout, Netflix, Audible, Spotify, etc.).
Have fun configuring the launcher to your taste.

The review

Watch here

Basically, things did not start well. Assembly and plastics quality being what it is, I had doubt on the look when installed, but honestly, I have no pb with it now (and I am a crazy person regarding to details and quality).
Then the software, oh my, I wanted to return it, it's terrible! There is nothing worse for me than pretending to be something you are not.
But here is the thing, what you have is an android device... So install a launcher, apps, widgets, and whatever you want to create the experience you are happy with.

So with the setup I have now, I am very happy with it, and can definitely recommend it. I put my phone in hotspot, the unit connect to the wifi, and I am good to go. It feels so good to not have a phone and "stuff" in the middle console, and use the infotainment to have waze, Spotify and company. It was my goal, and it works well.

Next steps

I have still some experiments to do, and will update the thread:
- Carplay
- Some Bluetooth experimentation
- I have a random crash of the Smart Launcher 5 when the system starts, might not be happy with another app I installed, it's nothing, I'll see if I have time to fix it one day
- Improving the microphone (might have to unmount the screen and check the hardware)

My dream?
The same unit, better plastics, better finish (no gaps), better microphone(s), light sensor, camera, 4G/LTE sim card slot.
That's it... I would pay double to have all this, because it's so worth it.

Need help?

Feel free to ask questions, and if you make the jump, I'll be happy to help!
If you live near San Francisco, you can also come by, test the system, and I can install it with you if it makes you feel better

Last edited by Fab's; 12-20-2018 at 02:37 AM.. Reason: Added picture
Appreciate 7
Sedoy675.50
foo200261.50
alphaod1148.00
xweb1088.50
      12-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #2
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep

The WTF am I doing to my car moment

Last edited by Fab's; 12-20-2018 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 6
Sedoy675.50
alphaod1148.00
foo200261.50
TXSTYLE13653.00
      12-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Gives a whole new meaning when people say BMW just sticks a tablet onto the dashboard.

Is the screen very glossy, not laminated, or both? I hate really glossy screens and the BMW has a very good antireflective capability.
      12-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Is the screen very glossy, not laminated, or both? I hate really glossy screens and the BMW has a very good antireflective capability.
The screen is not glossy, I was actually very surprised when I took the pictures to see the reflection, because it does not look this way at all
Appreciate 2
alphaod1148.00
Sedoy675.50
      12-20-2018, 12:47 AM   #5
wendivad
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M3

For some reason, I cannot see any of the pictures that you posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:22 AM   #6
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendivad View Post
For some reason, I cannot see any of the pictures that you posted.
Thanks for telling me, I changed the hosting and added some more. It should work now.

Last edited by Fab's; 12-20-2018 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 2
Sedoy675.50
alphaod1148.00
      12-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #7
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Great review, thanks for taking time! Is the screen touchscreen?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #8
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab's View Post
Reading thread thinking, well this is pretty cool. Sees your picture, runs away. Lol
Appreciate 4
JWK170200.00
P111541.50
      12-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #9
tntp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5S35i

This looks like someone has the brain surgery just to fix the occasional minor headaches ! could be cool to get this done with a 10+ year old car!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Is it really Android 8? A lot of similar units use older v.4 disguised as later versions.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
Reading thread thinking, well this is pretty cool. Sees your picture, runs away. Lol

I want to make sure you know it is incredibly easy to remove the components. It took me less than 10 minutes, and because I was doing it for the first time. Doing it again would take me less than 2. Pull on the wood panel from the glove box, it'll come off, and you have done half of the work already.
If you want to do it, I'll be happy to have a video call and assist you.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #12
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Great review, thanks for taking time! Is the screen touchscreen?
Yes, it is touchscreen, you can watch the video I posted to see how it works. Watch only the second half if you just want to see the interface running with the modification I made.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Is it really Android 8? A lot of similar units use older v.4 disguised as later versions.
It seems to be for a few reasons, the main one being you can use the last version of all the apps, and they are only compatible with Android 6+.
Now if they disguised it so well that all the version number are 8.1, and all the apps work, that's fine with me
Also, the contact sync app is the version that work only on 8.1, so I believe it is really Oreo.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 05:05 AM   #14
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Nice work (and write-up)! With the swap complete, what additional capabilities/features do you now have that were previously absent from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 05:21 AM   #15
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

To add on to the prior question, did you lose any features?
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      12-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #16
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
I think this is an even more important question
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #17
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Short answer is no.

Please watch the video I made that explains it

This is what I tried to explain in the "how does it work" section:
Basically, the screen in BMWs is just a dumb screen, there is no intelligence into it. So when you replace it, you don't lose any feature, the BMW unit that manage the features is still here and send images to the new screen.

LMK if it's more comprehensible.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #18
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Nice work (and write-up)! With the swap complete, what additional capabilities/features do you now have that were previously absent from BMW?
In addition to the main BMW system, you basically have now an Android tablet on your dashboard, so you can install any app you want: Android auto, Waze, Google Maps, Google assistant, Spotify, Audible, Alexa assistant, Starbucks, Chrome, Weather apps, Messenger, Whatsapp, Gmail, Calendar, Facebook, Youtube, Netflix, etc. etc.

You can also have Apple Carplay with a dongle they provide (I did not test it yet).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #19
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

looks very promising. i would have gone this route if i didn't already have touchscreen and carplay
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #20
fantaxp7
Rep
Drives: 2014 xDrive50i Msport

I had this on the E70 I just got rid of, it really left too much to be desired.

The audio was horrendous. Though the way it achieved audio was through the aux in on the car. I imagine a lot had to do with whatever cheap audio chip was in the unit, so perhaps if this is connecting a different way it may be ok.

On top of that the android portion was so incredibly buggy and laggy. Every time I opened spotify if forgot my login. The idrive would navigate one step in the wrong direction before going the right way. And a ton of other small things.

I will say I never got around to trying out Carplay which was one big draw for me on the unit, I am sure Android Auto is fun to test out.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #21
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantaxp7 View Post
I had this on the E70 I just got rid of, it really left too much to be desired.

The audio was horrendous. Though the way it achieved audio was through the aux in on the car. I imagine a lot had to do with whatever cheap audio chip was in the unit, so perhaps if this is connecting a different way it may be ok.

On top of that the android portion was so incredibly buggy and laggy. Every time I opened spotify if forgot my login. The idrive would navigate one step in the wrong direction before going the right way. And a ton of other small things.

I will say I never got around to trying out Carplay which was one big draw for me on the unit, I am sure Android Auto is fun to test out.
which version was it?
Mine works pretty well for me so far, I use Spotify without issue, audio is through the bracket, not with audio input, and quality is good, interface is fast, integration with idrive works great.
You also have to load another launcher to make the experience enjoyable, I find the original one horrendous.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #22
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
i woulda have loved to seen a side by side screen resolution comparison. Thanks for the write up. These units have been around for so long and used more in the F30 side of the house. almost pulled the trigger on this unit that was being sold by another forum member like a week or two ago but get hesitant since all i really was interested in is carplay and having waze on my screen. I'm not an android user and can use all the apps i need from my phone via the usb port (music that is). Never really saw a need to have google on my idrive when again its right there in my hand and i can type so much easier on my phone that a touchscreen thats 3' from me.

IMO, the only thing that is left out of the iD4 is carplay. I dont like touchscreens cuz they make the screen dirty AF. I do like the iD5 home screen interface better but i would never see it cuz i'm always driving with my Nav screen split with entertainment anyway.

I wanted to get the bimmertech MMI carplay adapter thing but they force you to have a 2/3 screen (like BMW does they explain) which is dumb and as of yesterday i was told they may never be able to change it to full screen despite even iD5/6 users being able to get full screen carplay to work these days. So this alone may drive me back to your Avin unit or to unichip (but they scare me being completely foreign and bad customer service). decisions decisions.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
CatalinP586.50