BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-23-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
Radekxpl
The General
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D & E46 M3

F15 X5 Alignment specs

Looking to do my own alignment on the x5 but can't seem to find any factory alignment specifications for the X5 listed anywhere on the Internet*. Does any one know or can post picture copy of alignment sheet from your last alignment? That would be would be awesome Thank you in advance for the help.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
jcrane82
Trust me....I'm an engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35i, lots of bikes

I do my own alignments on all of my cars. The X5 isn't really anything special compared to any other MacPherson front suspension cars. These are the numbers that I shoot for on any car:

Rear Camber: As little as the factory adjusters allow, usually between -1.5 and -2.0 degrees
Front Camber: Match rear camber as close as possible

Rear toe: Tiny amount of toe in, usually 1-2mm measured using toe plates
Front toe: Small amount of toe in, usually 1-2mm measured using toe plates

Thrust Angle: Get as close to zero as possible with available tools. I have a digital level that I use for my camber gauge, and it has a built it laser. I use the camber gauge and laser to measure thrust angle.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
Radekxpl
The General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrane82 View Post
I do my own alignments on all of my cars. The X5 isn't really anything special compared to any other MacPherson front suspension cars. These are the numbers that I shoot for on any car:

Rear Camber: As little as the factory adjusters allow, usually between -1.5 and -2.0 degrees

Thrust Angle: Get as close to zero as possible with available tools. I have a digital level that I use for my camber gauge, and it has a built it laser. I use the camber gauge and laser to measure thrust angle.
Thanks for the values, that's what I thought just wanted to confirm what are the factory recommended specifications.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
jcrane82
Trust me....I'm an engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35i, lots of bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radekxpl View Post
Thanks for the values, that's what I thought just wanted to confirm what are the factory recommended specifications.
I don't specifically know what the factory specs are for the F15, but I am guessing it is greater rear camber than front camber, but a good bit of toe in front and rear. This is how all OEMs spec alignments now due to litigation liability. It is also why every car nowadays understeers like crazy.

OEMs design the car to handle for the lowest common denominator driver, and OEMs think understeer is safer than oversteer.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #5
Radekxpl
The General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't specifically know what the factory specs are for the F15, but I am guessing it is greater rear camber than front camber, but a good bit of toe in front and rear. This is how all OEMs spec alignments now due to litigation liability. It is also why every car nowadays understeers like crazy.

OEMs design the car to handle for the lowest common denominator driver, and OEMs think understeer is safer than oversteer.
That is totally true, I always tend to decrease toe in values from what ever factory recommends for better steering response handling.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 09:30 PM   #6
11_335D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Quote:
Looking to do my own alignment on the x5 but can't seem to find any factory alignment specifications for the X5 listed anywhere on the Internet*. Does any one know or can post picture copy of alignment sheet from your last alignment? That would be would be awesome Thank you in advance for the help.
Just did mine at the dealership, here's the spec....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 09:40 PM   #7
Radekxpl
The General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11_335D View Post
Quote:
Just did mine at the dealership, here's the spec....
Awesome 👌 thanks 🙏 just what I was looking for
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 05:13 PM   #8
Hop74
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

So I have a similar set up (20 inch run flats on Beyern rims) as well but seems like my specs are still off after alignment. I went to a goodyear dealer who said these cars are always a PITA to align and that this was the best he could do.

Should I try a BMW dealer to get better specs? Im about to replace my tires so want to make sure everything is properly aligned. As you can see, my specs are quite different...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 09:38 PM   #9
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:

What do you use to do the alignment? Can we have a link?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 09:00 PM   #10
2008bimmerM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: JB

I have no idea how to read this...would someone kindly chime in?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 10:14 AM   #11
1004ron
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop74 View Post
So I have a similar set up (20 inch run flats on Beyern rims) as well but seems like my specs are still off after alignment. I went to a goodyear dealer who said these cars are always a PITA to align and that this was the best he could do.

Should I try a BMW dealer to get better specs? Im about to replace my tires so want to make sure everything is properly aligned. As you can see, my specs are quite different...
I took mine to Big O Tires and the as left results are much the same a yours.
I have 20" Staggered wheels.

I didn't have any uneven tire wear issues, just that the steering was cocked slightly to the right and that's been corrected.

Is there any concern leaving it as it is?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0