BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

BR-Performance tune for the 40E any good?

Anyone have anything by these guys?

Seems like a nice jump for the 40E. And was just curious if anyone has it and if they could give any feedback on its drivability?

https://www.br-performance.be/en-be/...5-40e/brp-eco/
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive40e (F15)

It looks interesting, but it looks like it would need to be someone local to get that package as they tune it on the dyno.

anyone know if there are any ecu piggybacks for the 40e?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Anyone have anything by these guys?

Seems like a nice jump for the 40E. And was just curious if anyone has it and if they could give any feedback on its drivability?

https://www.br-performance.be/en-be/...5-40e/brp-eco/
I'm curious if they mess with electric motor to get to this number. I mean 87hp and 150 ft lbs jump is no joke, even at crank (which they claim it to be), especially since most tuners claim about 30whp and 40whtq gains from N20 engine only.

There are plenty of options for N20 engine which powers the 40e, but I haven't seen anyone mention that tuners have started tapping into electric side. If they are, I wonder how is drivability and how it affects the range. How longs does this power last?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #4
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive40e (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
I'm curious if they mess with electric motor to get to this number. I mean 87hp and 150 ft lbs jump is no joke, even at crank (which they claim it to be), especially since most tuners claim about 30whp and 40whtq gains from N20 engine only.

There are plenty of options for N20 engine which powers the 40e, but I haven't seen anyone mention that tuners have started tapping into electric side. If they are, I wonder how is drivability and how it affects the range. How longs does this power last?
Yeah, those numbers are really odd. For the xdrive35i they're advertising an extra 59 hp and 120 ft-lbs. I don't see how they could do an extra 87 hp and 150 ft-lbs on just the N20, lol. Most I've heard with the N20 is 330-350 hp total but with air/exhaust/intercooler/gas/etc. Have you tried emailing them? I've seen the N20 mods... but not sure if there would be any issues with the start/stop or with the supplementary electric engine. Just waiting to hear if any of these companies (or people) have done it on the 40e yet.

I would be surprised if they did anything with the electrics (I think it's in the transmission housing anyways), especially since they say their mod is a stage 1... even then, the battery packs are pretty small and would only be good for a handful of launches IMHO. I'm having a hard time just finding information on even if it's possible to replace the 3.5 kW onboard charger to a more standard 6.6 kW - no luck with that just in case anyone asks, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post

Yeah, those numbers are really odd. For the xdrive35i they're advertising an extra 59 hp and 120 ft-lbs. I don't see how they could do an extra 87 hp and 150 ft-lbs on just the N20, lol. Most I've heard with the N20 is 330-350 hp total but with air/exhaust/intercooler/gas/etc. Have you tried emailing them? I've seen the N20 mods... but not sure if there would be any issues with the start/stop or with the supplementary electric engine. Just waiting to hear if any of these companies (or people) have done it on the 40e yet.

I would be surprised if they did anything with the electrics (I think it's in the transmission housing anyways), especially since they say their mod is a stage 1... even then, the battery packs are pretty small and would only be good for a handful of launches IMHO. I'm having a hard time just finding information on even if it's possible to replace the 3.5 kW onboard charger to a more standard 6.6 kW - no luck with that just in case anyone asks, lol.
I found this company from searching other forums and someone in Europe bought and got the tune then put it on a dyno and verified the claims with his runs so that's why I'm super curious about it.

It would suck not to be able to get it since their not local
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:22 AM   #6
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I found this company from searching other forums and someone in Europe bought and got the tune then put it on a dyno and verified the claims with his runs so that's why I'm super curious about it.

It would suck not to be able to get it since their not local
You could get it, but the question is are you willing to take a risk? Shipping to EU, shipping it back, handling along the way, having no car for while ECU is out of the vehicle, getting it back and hoping everything works... Unless they have a tool to allow you to do it at home and not bench flash. (Malone rents a tool for their tunes, and so few other tuners) It might not be worth it. I am on the same boat as corduroy I highly doubt posted numbers. It just seems a bit too good to be true. No one else is claiming those numbers on N20.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yea after looking at their website they show the customers cars and what they tested before and after, Seems like all the M-sports tested higher than the standard non-M-sport.

The standard non M-sport tested 30hp less than the 3 other M-sports.

Ahh well. Maybe I'll push them for some information.

It be interesting to get it and get it tested here to see the differences.

Only thing is they tune on their location with their dyno so not even sure it's available.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #8
TKR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e & 2018 330e

PTronic from Belgium sells piggyback

https://www.ptronic.com/performance-...tm#prettyPhoto

I haven't tried..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #9
TKR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e & 2018 330e

And Mosselmann has Stages 1 and 2 available. They have a piggyback that leaves no trace of tuning, or alternatively separate flash tool for $159 to flash the ECU.

https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/en/bm...n-hybrid-313hp
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:53 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKR View Post
And Mosselmann has Stages 1 and 2 available. They have a piggyback that leaves no trace of tuning, or alternatively separate flash tool for $159 to flash the ECU.

They also seem to have some nice numbers!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 02:56 PM   #11
jcvincent
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKR View Post

Has anyone used this yet and reported back?
Appreciate 0