BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #23
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015X5M

You won't regret it. I don't have the installation instructions but this is just the removal of dash pieces and head unit which available on YouTube.
You just need to relocate one fiber optic cable from original wiring and that process is described in the included install pictures. At least it was with my unit.
Really easy.
Will be happy to help with questions

P.S. still love my unit. Best money spent on interior upgrade
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 02:24 AM   #24
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Nice! I might get it too or full not evo retrofit... how is the screen resolution quality?
ps: is that Guram from "DSCOFF" on your split screen ? lol
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 06:37 AM   #25
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
I think I am going to pull the trigger on this. Hope you guys don't mind some questions lol.

I am not going to do the install myself though. Is there a link the installation instructions? My shop was asking for them.
YouTube But like the brother said really easy, after I did it 3-5 times lol.

Shop shouldn't charge more than a $100 for this install.

Open Glove compartment
Start pulling trim outward from glovebox towards start stop button.
Detach three connectors
Remove bottom trim under radio/ac panel
Remove 2 torx screw from radio /ac. panel
Pull out panel from top.
Detach 2 connectors
Remove 4 torx screw from radio HU
Remove 2 torx screws from screen
Pull up screen , disconnect 2 connectors
Pull out HU easily disconnect main plug (Biggest)
Pull out GREEN OPTIC cables from cable.
Run new cables.
Connect 3 plugs to aftermarket screen
Connect GPS connector via splitter or if you're using the GPS locator that came with it.
Put new plugs in between disconnected main plug and HU.
Plug in GREEN OPTIC cables into new plug that goes to HU.. If it goes in too easy, its upside down.
Make sure everythings plugged in tight and it wont hurt to put some harness tape on exposed wires. Put everything back and you're good to go.

For the new screen. I just installed 2 of the 3 cables that go to the screen aside from the GPS connection. The main plug to the screen and the USB plug. I didnt install the video-in DVR cables , but might want to if your installing a front camera.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #26
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

SupersixM - Thanks a ton! I will show my appreciation by sticking with 22s when I upgrade my wheels. Of course those two aren't related but I do think I will stick with 22s FYI.

PhillyX5M - Is that a Uniden R7 with a blendmount tap or whatever? I am thinking about installing a radar detector at the same time I install the android unit. Might just have to throw in a sub or two while I am at it.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #27
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
SupersixM - Thanks a ton! I will show my appreciation by sticking with 22s when I upgrade my wheels. Of course those two aren't related but I do think I will stick with 22s FYI.

PhillyX5M - Is that a Uniden R7 with a blendmount tap or whatever? I am thinking about installing a radar detector at the same time I install the android unit. Might just have to throw in a sub or two while I am at it.

Thanks all!

Yeah 22s is the way. Looks better and tires are cheaper and readily available in all seasons. 21s a bitch when it comes to choices. I myself will be switching to 22s soon enough. . Keep my 21 s for cruel winter setup. Got my eyes on those Black Gloss Vossen HF-5s. Mean AF. ...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #28
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofmine View Post
Nice! I might get it too or full not evo retrofit... how is the screen resolution quality?
ps: is that Guram from "DSCOFF" on your split screen ? lol
Yep, it is Guram Some of his material is not bad...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #29
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks all!
Yes. It is BlendMount for the Uniden. Really like it. Keeps everything nice and tight.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #30
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Well my unit will be here soon and I actually might try to do the install myself. A couple of questions:
1. Do I need to disconnect the battery?
2. What sizes of torx bits will I need? I just saw a pack of T7-T10, T15, T20, and T25. Think that would be sufficient?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #31
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
Well my unit will be here soon and I actually might try to do the install myself. A couple of questions:
2. What sizes of torx bits will I need? I just saw a pack of T7-T10, T15, T20, and T25. Think that would be sufficient?
You dont have to disconnect the battery as long as your car is completely off and you will only need T20.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #32
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofmine View Post
Quote:
You dont have to disconnect the battery as long as your car is completely off and you will only need T20.
Thx!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #33
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Having a few issues. Get ready for the laughs lol.

First, I cannot get the holes on the new screen to line up. Thoughts? See attached pic.

Second, the screen fires up and works fine in android mode. When I click the Car icon, the screen goes black. Any thoughts?

SupersixM I am happy to look at the thread on you mentioned in an earlier post but I wasn't able to find it when I did a quick search.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #34
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

First, I cannot get the holes on the new screen to line up. Thoughts? See attached pic.

Second, the screen fires up and works fine in android mode. When I click the Car icon, the screen goes black. Any thoughts?

SupersixM I am happy to look at the thread on you mentioned in an earlier post but I wasn't able to find it when I did a quick search.

OK. Those 2 screws yo have to raise up w a flat head screw driver with one hand and screw in with the other hand. I KNOW, a bit tedious but thats how. Happens to everyone. Those two screw holes have a bit wiggle room upwards..

DONT APPLY TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON SCREEN FROM TOP, MIGHT RISK CRACKING SOMETHING. .

Also its good to harness tape up everything while you're in there for precautions.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 06:37 PM   #35
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Black screen means connection is not seated properly. Also make sure you swapped the fibre optic cable. Put it in the exact same way you took it out of the OEM connection and put it in the new harness the EXACT same way. Some including mines might a fab of hot glue to keep put. Don't go glue crazy lol if you had to. BUT check for those BIG connections as they can give false connections.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #36
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
Quote:

Black screen means connection is not seated properly. Also make sure you swapped the fibre optic cable. Put it in the exact same way you took it out of the OEM connection and put it in the new harness the EXACT same way. Some including mines might a fab of hot glue to keep put. Don't go glue crazy lol if you had to. BUT check for those BIG connections as they can give false connections.
Guess I'll be ripping apart the dash again tomorrow lol. Thanks a ton SupersixM
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #37
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
������ yes you will, beautiful thing about it though is that with every time you go in there you gain more confidence opposed to the first heart cringing moment you pull off the dash trim.

But that red screw tab, just push it up with a flat. You’ll be like WTF. Lol It’s good to use or magnetize a screwdriver to avoid dropping screws and towel over cup/change holder to avoid scratching the leather. You’ll hate yourself for it lol. I almost scratched mines and nearly died. Lol.

And be careful with that blue connector on the AC / Radio control unit. I damaged mines the first time I went in there and it never been the same. Tried fixing it but to no avail. Everything looks good but it’s like it’s not seating properly. I’ll order one off eBay to see if it’s that. These days, can’t go nowhere so I got time lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #38
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
Quote:
������ yes you will, beautiful thing about it though is that with every time you go in there you gain more confidence opposed to the first heart cringing moment you pull off the dash trim.

But that red screw tab, just push it up with a flat. You'll be like WTF. Lol It's good to use or magnetize a screwdriver to avoid dropping screws and towel over cup/change holder to avoid scratching the leather. You'll hate yourself for it lol. I almost scratched mines and nearly died. Lol.

And be careful with that blue connector on the AC / Radio control unit. I damaged mines the first time I went in there and it never been the same. Tried fixing it but to no avail. Everything looks good but it's like it's not seating properly. I'll order one off eBay to see if it's that. These days, can't go nowhere so I got time lol.
Looks like I had it after all, just needed to switch the option to the 6.25" screen and it worked.

I lost one of the screws in the dash though. I suck lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #39
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looks like I had it after all, just needed to switch the option to the 6.25" screen and it worked.

I lost one of the screws in the dash though. I suck lol.
So everything is ok?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 12:12 AM   #40
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Does this unit consistently work fine with no issue? Not that the factory unit is 100% no issue, but is this unit 90%-100% no issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #41
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Yep, everything is good. For awhile Google Maps wouldn't load but it now works fine.

I am curious how to do the split screen though. PhillyX5M care to share how to do that?

I know there is a ton to learn on this. I don't know how to change tiles on iDrive screen, what buttons to push to go to Android, etc. etc.

So far so good though. I think it is working close to 100%. And the HD screen is very nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:41 AM   #42
careagax5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Yep, everything is good. For awhile Google Maps wouldn't load but it now works fine.

I am curious how to do the split screen though. PhillyX5M care to share how to do that?

I know there is a ton to learn on this. I don't know how to change tiles on iDrive screen, what buttons to push to go to Android, etc. etc.

So far so good though. I think it is working close to 100%. And the HD screen is very nice.
Nice !!!
Hey I tried sending you a pm but your mailbox is full sir !
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #43
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:

Hows the speed of the interface and apps? I had one of these on my e70 and i wound up never using it because it was just too slow and bogged down. I'm about to grab one of these.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #44
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyX5M View Post
Just by using it today I can say that there is no lag at all. Screen is responsive and scrolls without any delays. All the application run smoothly. I installed goodle maps, sygic, wase and they all work great when driving. I used my phone as wifi spot but unit has 4G too.
Sound is great, no static. Love the big screen for YouTube and movies
How is it holding up? Any reduction in speed and responsiveness?
Appreciate 0