BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #67
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I don't mind it a bit but really needs to be done right and under the right circumstances.
Appreciate 1
chenry2346.00
      05-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #68
Psychotic Mouse
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange M3

I’m sorry but I think there are two aspects to this and can be categorised as such.

1) crackle and pop is just the snarl and snapple and pop corn sound

2) Burble, I light rumble like thunder without any crackling and piping.

I dislike number 1. That is very obnoxious and too loud for my tastes.

Number 2 is subtle and can only really be heard from the outside or with windows down under light Loads for example a parking garage, or slow driving speed and Imperceivable at high driving speeds. This I like. It needs to be subtle though. It adds some “emotion” to the driving experience I feel. The civic M3 sound is plain and a bit soulless.

The car in stock civic mode actually has a nice natural guttural sound which accelerating from a low speed in a high gear and then as it comes on boost letting off the throttle. It doesn’t happen every time it’s occasional which is always a nice surprise.

Last edited by Psychotic Mouse; 05-12-2020 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #69
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Depends on what it is. It made the F-Type V8's almost hilarious to drive especially the early RWD ones that would slide sideways with a toe tap.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #70
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Mouse View Post
I’m sorry but I think there are two aspects to this and can be categorised as such.

1) crackle and pop is just the snarl and snapple and pop corn sound

2) Burble, I light rumble like thunder without any crackling and piping.

I dislike number 1. That is very obnoxious and too loud for my tastes.

Number 2 is subtle and can only really be heard from the outside or with windows down under light Loads for example a parking garage, or slow driving speed and Imperceivable at high driving speeds. This I like. It needs to be subtle though. It adds some “emotion” to the driving experience I feel.

This /\

#2 only. I only like a nice subtle and good sounding burble, not all this ricer pops and crackles. It really just makes the car sound cheap IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 01:53 AM   #71
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
someone should start a poll on age groups who like or don't like burbles.
i hate them. i'm 45.
Between 16-25 seems to be the age group here in SoCal. Lots of young generation teenagers begging for a Like (attention)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #72
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
What's wrong with burbles and pops from MPPSK? You can turn it off with a click of a button.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #73
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
What's wrong with burbles and pops from MPPSK? You can turn it off with a click of a button.
The MPPSK is "fine". There is a balance between a well-done burble vs. something that sounds like a child throwing pop-rocks. The prior I'm totally fine with.

It's the latter, which I find usually goes hand in hand with "wannabe" cars and drivers, that I can't stand.

I'm also a bit of a purist in general. Give me a screaming flat 6 at 9k RPM or a V10 Huracan backfiring vs. something some programmers forced into a tune. If you have to play with the ECU to make your car sound good then you're probably going down the wrong path (bolt ons make sense). But maybe I'm an outlier...I hate the sound of the F-Type 6 and 4 cylinder because you can tell they programmed that sound in the lab but I know many people love them.
      05-15-2020, 11:45 AM   #74
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

its no different from any other exhaust... you are making noise for attention or your own aural pleasure. And when it comes to sound/music/exhausts everyone has different tastes. I can't stand big lopey cammed muscle cars for instance.

I got a burble tune on my stock exhaust. sounds fine to me. a bit more exciting than the stock sound where I couldn't hear anything at all. most modern exhaust systems are acoustically tuned to some degree. Lexus LFA exhaust being tuned by Yamaha for instance.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #75
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Am a fan of the subtle short burble on decel/shift.

Not a fan of the 3-5 second sustained gas station burrito's revenge bouncing off the toilet bowl everytime the throttle is lifted
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #76
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #77
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

I had a 340, wanted to tune it so I got the Dinan and MPPSK kit. Hated the car after that. It was quicker but IMO sounded like crap, so fake. Couldn’t find a way to get rid of the excessive and pointless cracks & pops and the cold starts sound really bad. I don’t mean to offend, I understand how someone might like those, its just not at all for me. I originally planned to keep the car for 10 years, couldn’t stand it to the point I got rid of the car a few months later.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #78
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
This

yeah see that is shite.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #79
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Dont forget snap.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #80
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Do you like lowered cars? Some do..some don't.

Do you like BOV sounds? Some do...some don't.

Do you like some burble? Some do..some don't.

Etc,etc,etc......

It's your car....do what you like. Wouldn't it suck if you didn't have the freedom to make your own decisions?? 😁
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #81
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Do you like lowered cars? Some do..some don't.

Do you like BOV sounds? Some do...some don't.

Do you like some burble? Some do..some don't.

Etc,etc,etc......

It's your car....do what you like. Wouldn't it suck if you didn't have the freedom to make your own decisions?? 😁
In economics there is a concept of "external costs and benefits". it refers to when an action has an impact on others. Blasting sound out at 5 in the AM would clearly be an example of this.

So...yes...it is the owner's car but that doesn't mean he has the right to directly and negatively impact others. This is no different than driving at 70 mph through neighborhood streets or being a left lane hog. Yes...it is the owner's car but that doesn't give the owner the right to do whatever he wants when his actions affect others.

It really gets to me when a driver is going down a residential street with these loud sounds and his windows are all closed. Maybe he needs the loud sound to hear it through the windows.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #82
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Personally I think BMW did a great job with the MPPSK. You can have fun and show off or be stealthy if you like.

I have a similar set up for my boat with a 350 cu.in V8. It has dual through the stern exhausts with a valve that can route exhaust underwater to the out drive or straight back in obnoxious Miami Vice style. Great for waking up the neighbors.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #83
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
In economics there is a concept of "external costs and benefits". it refers to when an action has an impact on others. Blasting sound out at 5 in the AM would clearly be an example of this.

So...yes...it is the owner's car but that doesn't mean he has the right to directly and negatively impact others. This is no different than driving at 70 mph through neighborhood streets or being a left lane hog. Yes...it is the owner's car but that doesn't give the owner the right to do whatever he wants when his actions affect others.

It really gets to me when a driver is going down a residential street with these loud sounds and his windows are all closed. Maybe he needs the loud sound to hear it through the windows.
So your entire point is that some guy running a burble tune as he drives by you is so invasive to your life, that's it's affecting you so much, that he shouldn't legally be able to do it?

Maybe they shouldn't legally be able to add an aftermarket BOV because the "whoosh" sound is more than you can deal with, and it's affecting your way of life so negatively.

Maybe they shouldn't be able to wrap their car bright pink because it's so invasive to you, it affects your way of life and your view from behind th wheel.

Maybe the tacky M3 badge they have on their car makes you so furious, and gives you such a migraine headache......they should just throw him in jail for causing you so much pain and hardship in your life.

Maybe their shouldn't be able to listen to their stereo with the windows down because it's more than you should have to deal with.......etc,etc,etc.

A burble tune is not dangerous to anyone.....it's not like driving through a residential neighborhood at 70mph. A burble tune does not clog up traffic like left lane campers.

All a burble tune does is give people like you one more thing to complain about.

Good lord.....what a snowflake. Why do you hate freedom so much?
Appreciate 1
davidr3447.50
      05-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #84
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabzSA View Post
Hello all -

I am not an old, old fashioned or outdated (i would like to think so anyways :-)) guy..i like bleeding edge technologies, gadgets etc...but i cannot for some reason wrap my head around all the numerous videos of people / influencers modifying their cars to make their back boxes crackle and pop!

I would like to tune my car next, and i see some tuners offer this "feature" - but wanted to understand (without any judgement if this is something you like) whether this is a popular mod.

I for one, am all about the intake, engine noise and of course a nice deep growl from the back...but not the crackle and pop...

Again - i do not mean to offend or upset anyone...we all have our own individual tastes, but trying to understand whether maybe i am the odd one out :-)
It just makes the vehicle sound more like it's powered by a NA rather than Turbo engine.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #85
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Garage List
I'm not much of a fan of the tune-based backfire-esque noises, but to each their own. It always strikes me as odd that they call them "burble" tunes, as I consider burble to be something completely different in nature. If they called them backfire tunes, it would make more sense, hahaha.

My car emits deep-toned noises that actually sound like subdued burbling when quickly lifting of the throttle (more so when the ITBs were opened further before lifting) but it's a natural result of having very few obstructions in the exhaust pathway with headers, resonated S1 pipes and mufflers that are essentially just resonators. It sounds good, deep, and natural.

Tuning a car to specifically dump fuel for the purpose of having post-cylinder ignition just seems childish. But that's just me.

Reminds me that I need to record a video of my exhaust sound, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #86
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

The N55 with PPK - the burbles sounds great ...

The N54 - sounds terrible ... more like gunshots at times.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #87
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

My N55 with an exhaust has burbles and it's just the right amount to me and also aren't super loud. Dislike them if you want but comparing it to a honda civic with an exhaust leak is a stretch.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #88
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
So your entire point is that some guy running a burble tune as he drives by you is so invasive to your life, that's it's affecting you so much, that he shouldn't legally be able to do it?

Maybe they shouldn't legally be able to add an aftermarket BOV because the "whoosh" sound is more than you can deal with, and it's affecting your way of life so negatively.

Maybe they shouldn't be able to wrap their car bright pink because it's so invasive to you, it affects your way of life and your view from behind th wheel.

Maybe the tacky M3 badge they have on their car makes you so furious, and gives you such a migraine headache......they should just throw him in jail for causing you so much pain and hardship in your life.

Maybe their shouldn't be able to listen to their stereo with the windows down because it's more than you should have to deal with.......etc,etc,etc.

A burble tune is not dangerous to anyone.....it's not like driving through a residential neighborhood at 70mph. A burble tune does not clog up traffic like left lane campers.

All a burble tune does is give people like you one more thing to complain about.

Good lord.....what a snowflake. Why do you hate freedom so much?
No...I can live with it. But I want the drivers to live with it also. Not drive with their windows up while they blast out the sound.
Appreciate 0