BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Wheel size question

So I was trying to find the offsets for my current set of wheels and realized that I am running 22x9 and 22x10.5. For my new wheels, I was planning to go 22x10.5 front and 22x11.5 or 22x12 rear. As an FYI, I am running 295/30 and 335/25 tires.

My question is this. Assuming I plan to use the same size of tires on my new rims, are there any advantages to increasing from a 22x9 to a 22x10.5? Would concavity be increased? I don't think there would be any change to how the vehicle handles but I clearly am no expert.

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You might want to do a simple google search for the description of wheel offset...because what you gave us was NOT wheel offset but your wheel’s dimensions (width & diameter).

Since this subject of wheel offset has been well explained (especially by wheel sites like www.tirerack.com and other wheel/tire sites)...it would be easier to read what’s already been written rather than try to re-write it.

Just google the phrase “what is wheel offset”.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
You might want to do a simple google search for the description of wheel offset...because what you gave us was NOT wheel offset but your wheel's dimensions (width & diameter).

Since this subject of wheel offset has been well explained (especially by wheel sites like www.tirerack.com and other wheel/tire sites)...it would be easier to read what's already been written rather than try to re-write it.

Just google the phrase "what is wheel offset".
My questions were unclear so apologies for that.

Put more simply, and all other aspects remaining the same, will a wheel with a 10.5" width 1) allow for more concavity, and 2) allow for better handling/stability?

My current wheels are 9" width (front) and I feel they look just fine. If a wider wheel doesn't allow for greater concavity and/or better handling, I would think a narrower wheel would be better as it would be lighter.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Perhaps not...inside wheel well you have , in addition to brake components, suspension components and body components you do NOT want interference with. Increasing your ET to allow for those items may put outer edges into contact with wheel well lips in turns. Tires protruding way beyond wheel wells will tend to throw road debris onto lower body panels from aft of front to bottoms of rear over hangs.
To your handling /stability question... the farther out and wider generally the better stability....up to a point...if that were the sole issue F1 cars would have tracks equal to the wheel base. You looking to do hydraulic low rider?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ijims View Post
Perhaps not...inside wheel well you have , in addition to brake components, suspension components and body components you do NOT want interference with. Increasing your ET to allow for those items may put outer edges into contact with wheel well lips in turns. Tires protruding way beyond wheel wells will tend to throw road debris onto lower body panels from aft of front to bottoms of rear over hangs.
To your handling /stability question... the farther out and wider generally the better stability....up to a point...if that were the sole issue F1 cars would have tracks equal to the wheel base. You looking to do hydraulic low rider?
Lol. This is beyond me. I am just going to go with 10.5 in front and 11.5 or 12 in the back. Now if SupersixM could tell me what offset he's going to run, I will be all set.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #6
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Lol. This is beyond me. I am just going to go with 10.5 in front and 11.5 or 12 in the back. Now if SupersixM could tell me what offset he's going to run, I will be all set.
I haven’t come to a decision yet on color, brand or style. Even though I got a good price from EUDM here in NY for the HF-5s. And they’re doing a promo for May and supposedly giving away tire package ( lexani) I’ll probably be going with them. 12 days to go lol

But check this out.. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G7x...w?usp=drivesdk
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #7
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
I haven’t come to a decision yet on color, brand or style. Even though I got a good price from EUDM here in NY for the HF-5s. And they’re doing a promo for May and supposedly giving away tire package ( lexani) I’ll probably be going with them. 12 days to go lol

But check this out.. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G7x...w?usp=drivesdk
The HF-5s are amazing. I was chatting online w a Vossen rep. He said matte midnight smoke is a great finish/color. I don't really know anything about Lexani tires though.

Thx for that link! That is some good info. I want to check out what the infini lip looks like on some of the wheels I'm looking at.

I am pretty sure I will do 11.5 in the back and 10.5 in the front. That's about all I know for sure lol. And 22s thanks to your persuasion.
Appreciate 0