BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
josh the nurse
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Driver Assistance Plus without Adaptive Cruise?

Hey everyone-
First time BMW owner/post. Quick question...I just purchased a CPO 2017 X5. One of the reasons I sought out the particular one I bought was because it had adaptive cruise control and traffic jam assist; the vehicle is equipped with the Driver Assistance Plus package, and both of these are contained within. I couldn’t figure out how to activate it, despite the grid lines being show in the instrument cluster. I took it back to the dealership for assistance, and I was told the vehicle was not equipped with it. Nowhere in BMW’s literature does it state that there are any exceptions for these features to not be included. I asked the salesman about this, and he referred me back to the service department. Because of the COVID situation here, I was unable to thoroughly inspect the vehicle prior to purchase. I’m usually pretty laid back, but I’m a little unhappy because this was a feature that was important to me. Any suggestions on how I can proceed here? I attached images of the 2017 BMW X5 package page in the brochure, as well as the option sheet for my particular vehicle. Other than this little hiccup, the car is awesome!

*Edit* Can’t seem to get the pictures embedded, so I just linked them to flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/764887.../shares/9HatZ3

https://www.flickr.com/photos/764887.../shares/w6Nt9A

Last edited by josh the nurse; 05-21-2020 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Picture link not working
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
teazr1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TBD

ACC with stop and go + active driving assistant was available as an option only if you added the Driving Assistance Plus package in 2017. (Note the word optional in your picture.) There was an additional price to add the adaptive cruise control on top of the price for Driving Assistance Plus. Thus not all cars with Driver Assistance Plus have ACC. The easiest way to detect if a car has the optional ACC is to look on the steering wheel on the left side. You will see two additional buttons that allow you to set the following distance. Only cars with ACC have these buttons.

I have a car with ACC and considered it a desirable feature when looking to buy a CPO X5. It's not a common option. Looking at the other photo you posted, it appears your car does not have the ACC option added.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
josh the nurse
Rep

Wow. That’s a total bummer. Thanks for helpful answer! Now that you pointed that out, I realized I completely misread what was in the brochure . Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
teazr1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TBD

On the plus side you bought a great looking car that's fun to drive! Enjoy the drive!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Also, TJA was never available on the F15 X5 in the US
      05-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
volc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 '14 M50D

BTW it is not a big problem to add ACC and TJA. I did that in my X5 F15 '14.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #7
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by volc View Post
BTW it is not a big problem to add ACC and TJA. I did that in my X5 F15 '14.
Can you elaborate how did you do so folks can benefit ?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #8
volc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 '14 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfochon View Post
You need to buy:
1. Steering wheel with support for ACC+TJA or eventually only buttons and wheel module for only ACC
2. ICM version high, so V5.7
3. ACC sensor either with plug or you can buy plug separately
4. ABS/DSC pump with ACC support - DSC Premium ACC

You need to:
1. Install all parts, for ICM you will need to take out whole central console under armrest
2. Do a small wiring for ACC sensor
3. Bleed brakes after replacing ABS/DSC pump
4. Program car and ABS/DSC pump using Esys
5*. I also had to reinitialize ICM and measure wheel/arch heights, but I have M air suspension. I am not sure if it is needed for every car.

Great thing that with ACC car warns you and eventually brakes in case of sensing a dangerous situation. It does that far better than with only Kafas camera.

Active Cruise Control itself I am not using too often. TJA I am not using at all But it is just my usage scenario. It simply makes no sense on my roads. In your location you may use that more that I do.

PS: while replacing steering wheel I have also added steering wheel heating. This is actually really pleasant add on

Last edited by volc; 05-22-2020 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
mrfochon211.00
      05-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #9
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
That sucks. I really beat myself up about it. I was looking for a Ivory White interior which is not super easy to find, but I also wanted the ventilated seats. I have had them in my last 4 cars and I didn't want to give it up. It came down to 2 that I found and one had ACC which was on my list and had a little less miles and the other had ventilated seats.

I took the ventilated seats. Had I known how piss poor the BMW ventilated seats were - I would have taken the ACC. I drive a LOT and on the highway the ACC would be great and very helpful for my road rage - which mostly centers on aholes always making me take my cruise on and off.

Sorry - I would be pissed too.
      05-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #10
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
That sucks. I really beat myself up about it. I was looking for a Ivory White interior which is not super easy to find, but I also wanted the ventilated seats. I have had them in my last 4 cars and I didn't want to give it up. It came down to 2 that I found and one had ACC which was on my list and had a little less miles and the other had ventilated seats.

I took the ventilated seats. Had I known how piss poor the BMW ventilated seats were - I would have taken the ACC. I drive a LOT and on the highway the ACC would be great and very helpful for my road rage - which mostly centers on aholes always making me take my cruise on and off.

Sorry - I would be pissed too.
Honestly, and this is just my opinion, the ACC is poorly executed by BMW compared to other manufacturers I’ve experienced. Almost every time I’m on the highway using cruise control, I wish I didn’t have the ACC option. I know that’s not much consolation for those who really want it, just my experience with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #11
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

I sort of agree re ACC being all not that useful. It's not that BMW specifically poor, but the whole logic fails on our busy roads; even at minimum distance it reacts too early and too abruptly when someone squeezes in in front of you. Then brutal accelertion when the coast clears... untill next obstacle. And so on.

A similar system on electric cars I test drove functions pretty much the same, but the result is better ride due to electric motors smoother acceleration, regen braking first, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:04 PM   #12
josh the nurse
Rep

Thank you for all info!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #13
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by volc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfochon View Post
You need to buy:
1. Steering wheel with support for ACC+TJA or eventually only buttons and wheel module for only ACC
2. ICM version high, so V5.7
3. ACC sensor either with plug or you can buy plug separately
4. ABS/DSC pump with ACC support - DSC Premium ACC

You need to:
1. Install all parts, for ICM you will need to take out whole central console under armrest
2. Do a small wiring for ACC sensor
3. Bleed brakes after replacing ABS/DSC pump
4. Program car and ABS/DSC pump using Esys
5*. I also had to reinitialize ICM and measure wheel/arch heights, but I have M air suspension. I am not sure if it is needed for every car.

Great thing that with ACC car warns you and eventually brakes in case of sensing a dangerous situation. It does that far better than with only Kafas camera.

Active Cruise Control itself I am not using too often. TJA I am not using at all But it is just my usage scenario. It simply makes no sense on my roads. In your location you may use that more that I do.

PS: while replacing steering wheel I have also added steering wheel heating. This is actually really pleasant add on
Hey that's really cool that you were able to retrofit. If you have a minute could you share on this thread for the folks who are interested?

Hello & ACC Retrofit question https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1620932
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #14
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
Honestly, and this is just my opinion, the ACC is poorly executed by BMW compared to other manufacturers I’ve experienced. Almost every time I’m on the highway using cruise control, I wish I didn’t have the ACC option. I know that’s not much consolation for those who really want it, just my experience with it.
That is actually good to hear. While I really enjoy my X5 and do not regret purchasing it, I was surprised by how poorly some things were implemented. The DD I had prior was 4 years older and had better execution of some things. My X5's blind spot monitoring is a joke and I rarely use it - while I used my old cars constantly. I just don't trust the one in my X5. The lane departure goes off so much - I turn it off as I just become numb to it. The iDrive system is one thing that drew me to the X5 and I enjoy it - but the voice controls are horrible. Again - my 4 year older cars was far better in every way.

So I can believe than their ACC execution would be poor. Takes the sting out anyway. I traded it for the ventilated seats that I thought I HAD to have (had AC seats on my 4 prior cars) and again - the BWM version is the worse I have ever had. I rarely use them.

Luckily the driveablility of this car makes up for it and I still really enjoy it. I was looking for something that was the size of a small SUV, but drove like a car and in that regard - BMW nailed it.

Thanks for the insight.