03-25-2022, 11:33 AM   #1
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Refinishing 612M

Hey guys

Last fall, I got broad sided in a parking lot. Fortunately the impact was on my left rear wheel on their license plate and I was in motion when it happened so the car moved with the impact so there wasn’t any damage to my vehicle other than the finish on the rear wheel.

Unfortunately due to the design of the wheel, it is very difficult if even possible to refinish it to the factory finish. I’ve been to two shops and been told the same thing. My only option it would seem, is to refinish all 4 wheels to a different color.

I’m sure others have done this either willingly or out of necessity. I am thinking of doing a gloss black finish. My X5M is Donnigton Grey.

Any input would be appreciated.
      03-25-2022, 11:42 AM   #2
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

I think gloss black looks great on Donnington, especially if you have the vents and grills in black.

I had a 612 repaired recently and it came out great, but it was just minor damage to the polished area and not the gray paint. I'm guessing the area they repaired will tarnish over time, but we will see,
Appreciate 1
9vapors650.00
      03-25-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

I don't think it's that impossible to have the same kind of machined-face finish as OEM, especially after seeing a couple of sets done by Espo's Powder Coating (one of the best, if not the best, powder coating shops in the Tri-state area). Obviously, this depends on how confident the shops in your area are, and the main concerns here will also be cost + their ability to match the finish on the other wheels.

Also, it's a preference thing but I think 612m looks better in one color; either black or brushed clear looks perfect on our grey! If you are planning to change colors already, the cost of powder coating the whole set vs trying to replicate one wheel might not be that far off, depending on local prices... FYI, typical metallic colors for the whole set at some good tri-state area shops I've seen are around 600-700, double colors (i.e. one color on the face and another in the barrel) will be around 900 ish if you don't have 3 pieces wheels, whereas any machining, brushed, polishing can easily push it up to 4 figures for the whole set.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 01:32 PM   #4
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Thanks. I’m sure it will look good on the Grey. I’ve seen a few regular X5 in Grey with the black 20s and they do look pretty good. Guess I just wanted to maintain the OEM look. Especially since the other two wheels are actually in pretty good shape. Not gonna lie, didn’t want to pay to refinish all 4 either.

I have the OEM gloss black front and side grills. And the black rear deck badge too. So I guess I’ll have the fully blacked out look.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 05:56 PM   #5
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

I would go all gloss black
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Cbozz688.50
      03-25-2022, 06:04 PM   #6
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Any other shops you can check with in your area? I've had many BMW wheels with varying finishes on them fixed at shops in my area and they always come out looking great. Some finishes are definitely tougher to match than others, but still a good shop shouldn't have to refinish all 4 to make them match, that's nonsense IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 08:15 AM   #7
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchuck72 View Post
Thanks. I'm sure it will look good on the Grey. I've seen a few regular X5 in Grey with the black 20s and they do look pretty good. Guess I just wanted to maintain the OEM look. Especially since the other two wheels are actually in pretty good shape. Not gonna lie, didn't want to pay to refinish all 4 either.

I have the OEM gloss black front and side grills. And the black rear deck badge too. So I guess I'll have the fully blacked out look.
612s came in gloss black as an OEM option starting 2017, so technically refinishing to gloss black would be an OEM look too. I have 612 in both black and chrome, and my favorite is the gloss black look for my Silverstone metallic.
Appreciate 0