640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Coding F85 w/ BimmerCode and VGate pro

I assume some members have used " BimmerCode" and a VGate pro. As a noob to coding, I have a few question:
1. Is it worthwhile in terms of time spent?
2. Can I get in trouble if I DONOT go into expert areas?
3. What items on 2018 F85 X5///M should I look at?
Thanks in advance for letting me " go to school" on you!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ijims View Post
I assume some members have used " BimmerCode" and a VGate pro. As a noob to coding, I have a few question:
Doesn't take long to code as far as time and depending on what your looking code will determine if you have to go into expert mode for example updating your IDrive etc.. and as far as items you should look at that's up to you honestly. Just pick out the little things that you don't like or things your curious about and give it a shot.

Lights in door handle on when in reverse

Different chimes

DVD staying on while in motion etc etc
      06-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
Iti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 550 xdrive.2016 X5M

Hi well I was trying to code something with bummer code I think in the head unit something and did not notice anything wrong but how My display is blank and when I press the volume button nothing happens so I don't know what to do
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
Iti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 550 xdrive.2016 X5M

Well went for the old trick disconnected the battery for 15 minutes connected back and displays back on.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 08:35 PM   #5
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

I have Bimmercode and an F85. I have posted a few threads on mod'ing my F10, and have needed to use both ESYS and Bimmercode.

I can tell you right now that going into expert mode without full knowledge of what you are changing will result in a hosed up vehicle. In export mode, it's in German, and abbreviated German, which you can use Translate Google, but good luck with that.

My suggestion is to invest in ESYS with an ENET cable. You'll get better results and there is a lot more help on the forum for ESYS VO coding.

There are more than one threads on these forum's that have hosed their vehicles up trying to use both tools. If you use the translated options already in English in Bimmercode, you should be 100% safe.

I wouldn't use either on my F85 yet...my 2018 is still under warranty and if the dealer reprograms, I loose all VO custom settings.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #6
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

I have both Bimmercode and Bimmerlink and have coded a few things on my F86.

I only bought Bimmerlink a couple of days ago as I learnt that you can toggle the exhuast valves open and closed on demand! Didn't even know that Bimmerlink existed (from the same developer as Bimmerlink). Well worth it just for the exhaust valve control...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
ThatKasper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ijims View Post
First thing I purchased for my f85 was a Vgate iCar Pro & Bimmercode. Coding is as about as straightforward as it can be in basic mode (wouldn't try expert...and really no reason to for me). A plus is the ability to 'undo' anything you just coded if things are wonky, I'd suggest making one change at a time so you can remember what to undo. Turning Auto Start/Stop off was worth the purchase alone...would've paid the dealer full retail to do that if they would...most won't.

Everything so far has worked flawlessly without the need to revert but one setting: the Driving Mode Memory. It won't set to Sport mode as default, nor will it remember the last mode I was in when turning it off. Someone suggested somewhere that it might take a few tries but that seems odd to me...and I've coded it twice now to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm guessing I have the wrong combo of 2 settings but I swear I have it correct unless the wording on the code is counter-intuitive.
Appreciate 0